DS #5018: Dragon Quest IX Sentinels of the Starry Skies (USA)

kennypu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DemonicChocobo said:
Fancypancy99 said:
i have everything now except for a few things: the items that require orbs (shudder at the knowledge), completing more quests, and bringing all my characters to Almighty status (lv. 99 and all vocations, which affects their other vocations' ability scores). i must know: ANYONE USING ACTION REPLAY EXCEPT ME!?! & WHERE ARE MINSTREL MOAI (for Luminary quest)???

Oh, dang. info box fail. wow. help on that, please?
Minstel Moai can only be found in high level Grottos. You probably will not see one until you revocate at least once. As for whether anyone else uses action replay...
This is the answer:
lol, agreed. why would you play such a wonderful game using cheats? might as well just not play. -.-

Fancypancy99

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, you see, I am not some nub (i heard it is lower than noob, idk), neither am i a noob at it, but it makes sense why you say such about my cheats. you see, I make sure I am using cheats that give me power (like all items, max gold, upped exp for team, having all vocations (those dungeon bosses are scary, and my team is quite elite!), and having a debug mode (idk what it does, but it looks cool)), but do not make me... er... Almighty-like (like a cheat that allows me to zoom to all places, or invincibility/ mana saginaris (latin for "to be fattened")). in other words, take pokemon for example: I use cheats while a friend uses non- cheated pokemon. I get lots of rare candies (level up pokemon fast), lots of nutrient items (protiens, zincs, etc.), and teach my pokemon moves they could never dream of (like a magikarp learning hyper beam), while my friend uses wifi and his natural pokemon he trained by himself. we battle, and he wins. no surprise, since I chose my cheats poorly. Ask me why if you want to.

Also, I am going to introduce a forum game now: it is called MAKE A WISH AND CORRUPT IT. Basically, a person makes a wish on here. the next person has to have it granted, but then they corrupt it purposefully so it goes wrong. For example: I write "I wish I could go into space". The next person can write something like "Wish granted. You die in space from a lack of oxygen" and then writes their own wish. It is fun and quite funny.

I will start it off: I wish that the sun gave off rays of joy instead of rays of harsh, UV light.

JackSakamoto

Bad Ending Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a problem. I use a Ez flash Vi. When you go in the Starflight (or Starlight ?) Express for the third time, the game freeze after the kinematics.
I have the Xenophobia + Venom (Xenom) release (US version)
PS : I'm with two allies. i will test with any allies. Edit : impossible too -_-'

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Completed this today after 60 hours and I loved it - great story, fantastic localisation, awesome monsters, cool equipment.

One thing that bugs me about JRPGs in general though is the total lack of tactics in boss fights. You spend all this time getting all these abilities which you don't need for normal monsters and you can't use in boss fights and it kind of takes the strategy out of bosses in my opinion. At least in DQ debuffs do work on bosses, but in general they're all immune to status ailments (poison, paralysis etc) and any buff or debuffs you use just get cancelled out. Makes it more of just a level/equipment test where you just keep attackign and healing until they die. Tried being clever with the final boss, raising tension, buffing, debuffing etc and got wiped out. Went "Right, fine" and just attacked and healed every turn for a while and it was a piece of cake. I know you could argue that the reason bosses are immune to everything and can cancel your buffs/debuffs is to make them harder, but surely you can incorporate more game elements into boss fights and balance it out in other ways?

Fancypancy99

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Completed this today after 60 hours and I loved it - great story, fantastic localisation, awesome monsters, cool equipment.

One thing that bugs me about JRPGs in general though is the total lack of tactics in boss fights. You spend all this time getting all these abilities which you don't need for normal monsters and you can't use in boss fights and it kind of takes the strategy out of bosses in my opinion. At least in DQ debuffs do work on bosses, but in general they're all immune to status ailments (poison, paralysis etc) and any buff or debuffs you use just get cancelled out. Makes it more of just a level/equipment test where you just keep attackign and healing until they die. Tried being clever with the final boss, raising tension, buffing, debuffing etc and got wiped out. Went "Right, fine" and just attacked and healed every turn for a while and it was a piece of cake. I know you could argue that the reason bosses are immune to everything and can cancel your buffs/debuffs is to make them harder, but surely you can incorporate more game elements into boss fights and balance it out in other ways?

Well, I say, there is actually a use for the abilities. like thus:

-Hero: Priest, so I can heal all my teammates, and i have cheer on to raise tensions (and become most important
wink.gif
)
-M.A.: uses tension build, flailing claw, and war cry to power up, unleash power, and try to scare foes
-Thief: uses war cry, bows/boomerangs (really awesome skills, in fact), and can steal so i can have a well rounded and tactical character
-Mage/Sage: uses hammers, magics, and really only bashes foe w/ magics

I defeat bosses by having a good set up of abilities (try to not have team die, but builds up strength to hyper tension so i can go back to offensive and crush foe easily and epical battle- wise)

Also, I have started a new game, since my old game got somewhat boring and stuff. Now my new team consists of Link (trying to find a specific set of equiptment called Estard, which I hope is from a guest), Zelda (or as close to her as possible), Ehlonna (name of elf goddess in DND), and a character I made up named Sergio (was for a story/video game where a young man must venture through an old children's book to be the hero that the story's lacking).

NDStemp

GBAtemp?! No! NDStemp
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Akotan said:
Sorry for bumping this.
frown.gif

I just beated the game and the saving process is taking so much time. Is this normal?
I'm using M3 Simply flashcart and Wood R4 1.10 firmware.

Maybe it's your SD card that's reading/writing slow.

Edit: You could have made a new thread for this. =]

Fancypancy99

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i beat the game, and the save lag was not so great. but no one is answering me: what are these things used by others? what differs from them to Action Replay!?!

Oh, and i found a forum game before, which is really funny. it is Make a Wish and Corrupt it. start a wish if you know it.

Fancypancy99

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
oh, and for all those who don't care, I am setting my team up better: varied vocations for all members (only similarities between them, btw, and the "basics": Warrior for much strength, Martial Artist for lots of speed and a bit of power, and finally Ranger so they may all learn the awesome abilities of the axe, bow, and boomerang skill trees). This set up will aid me lateron in the game, giviing me the ability to pwn nearly anything when all vocations' levels are 50+ ! Plus, by using by ACTION REPLAY, i can be able to not worry about my team being obliterated (since hero can't die), not need to find ALL the armors/gloves/ pants/ shoes/hats/accesories, AND I don't need recipies for anything anymore (though >= {greater than or equal to} 1 of every item used for them are still needed, though). All I need is to take my time and that's about it!

Oh, one last, LAST thing (really only 2): by getting all the body clothes', i get... Paddy, Erin, Sellma and Stella's clothes! also, people need to talk more on here. i make extra posts now because i am bored w/ no communication on here. it is sad. OH, wait, if no one knew about this:

METAL SLIME STACKS ARE EASIER (i think) AND GIVE MORE EXP! THEY ARE IN THE BAD CAVE! NOW GO, MY MINIONS, AND BRING ME BACK THEIR HEADS FOR TROPHIES! Ha Ha Ha!!!

turnstile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi everyone!

two questions about treasure maps:
#1: is there a way to access the treasure maps without using tag mode?

#2, noob question: i've also been downloading stuff from the DQVC store weekly... and stupid question: are the quests i download via DQVC treasure maps?! on the dragon quest official website it says treasure maps are downloaded via wifi. right now, i can't access the quests too... :/

i'm super frustrated because tag mode is totally useless here in U.S... not everyone plays dragon quest nor have a DS. sigh.
if tag mode was via wifi instead, it would be very cool. but its probably not possible to upgrade a game cart (i bought it!)

thanks in advance for anyone who can enlighten me.

(i own the original cart btw--so if i have to download anything or modify game files... it's out of the question i suppose. unless there's a way around that too!)

Fancypancy99

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
turnstile said:
hi everyone!

two questions about treasure maps:
#1: is there a way to access the treasure maps without using tag mode?

#2, noob question: i've also been downloading stuff from the DQVC store weekly... and stupid question: are the quests i download via DQVC treasure maps?! on the dragon quest official website it says treasure maps are downloaded via wifi. right now, i can't access the quests too... :/

i'm super frustrated because tag mode is totally useless here in U.S... not everyone plays dragon quest nor have a DS. sigh.
if tag mode was via wifi instead, it would be very cool. but its probably not possible to upgrade a game cart (i bought it!)

thanks in advance for anyone who can enlighten me.

(i own the original cart btw--so if i have to download anything or modify game files... it's out of the question i suppose. unless there's a way around that too!)

Well, I can from experience that you can use the treasure map thing w/o tag mode through a quest (the christopher collapssus one at zere rock), but tag mode is needed to get, theoretically, ALL the maps. this is because, like every world/ game is unique, the maps and map order is too (if you want, look up the formula yourself. it is most impressive, i say, since it really matches eye to eye w/ the power scale based on the hero!).

To answer the noob question, i will say idk what it means by that, but my guess is it is daily quest (thanks to my Nintendo Power), and no clue on if it is a grotto quest or not (only one i found NOT wi-fi [can't connect to it at my house, wrong Wi-Fi] is for a really tough boss! trust me, don't do it if you are thinking it over!). Btw, what you mean cartrage?

and also, one last thing, i actually "re" restarted, as in that i now have two awesome characters: a Hawkeye Mihawk looking character and a sage!

Fancypancy99

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
say, btw, wat i mean by "wat's the diff?" is that the wood, Xenom and the other things sound like cheating/ hacking things. Are they those things? if not, wat are they?

ran out of room before.

Ok, I took a look at what they are and they seem to be nearly the same kind of thing, since I think it is special DQ 9 hacking tools.

Fancypancy99

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
say, does anyone know how to find the Extra Quests? I found a cheat code that gives me access to them, but does not give me them, so i have to find them.

Also, i gotz a code that gives me 99 of all accessories. BOYAH! Commence celebratory dance and feast!

Fancypancy99

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ok, since i know lots of people are now just checking to see if anyone is adding anything new, i shall do so myself. 1stly, i now have a code that grants auto Coop De Grace for all characters. that means i can get Co-op De Graces, only possible if all 4 have a Coop activated/ ready. Min/Lum effect is Electro Light, turns all enemies into equivilent of metal, liquid metal, king metal, and metal jewel slimes. these give oodles of exp!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30