eeePC arrived!

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Chrome since space management is better than FF3

I also have Pidgin, uTorrent, Winamp, Skype, GIMP, and Avast installed.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pidgin is completely free, Trillian has a pro version available. The new Trillian Astra (you can beta it now) is slick, but man it is crashing about 5 min after going away, other than that...

I like an all-in-one system, so I can have my Facebook, Twitter, email, AIM, and IRC running in one major client.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, Pidgin supports pretty much every messaging service I can name plus a few more.
Never used Trillian so I can't comment on that.

D

Deleted User

Daaamn!
if that thang can run epsxe and pj64 I would take my usb controller along with it and have a super portable gaming device
probably get at least 6 hours out of it if u have rumble on the controlller

MegaAce™

Steal back your future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have an eeePC too!
It's great that thing is so small so you can take it everywhere,
but I don't like Linux and I heard you can install Windows somehow on that eeePC.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Damn, that looks so small!
It could be very handy for emu's, but I don't know, I'm not the emulator person myself.
Maybe some Fire Emblem on NES/SNES, but not more.
Congratz on the purchase, and thanks for the photos!

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I think I'll be trying out Pidgin, it sounds pretty cool.

@golden: 390 USD with free 2 day shipping.
@flameiguana: Yeah, it runs Project 64 and epsxe perfectly. Dunno about the rumble, but my battery is at 85% and it says I have 7 hours left. This is with bluetooth and camera off, and brightness at half.

@MegaAce: Mine came with XP already installed, so I don't have that problem
biggrin.gif

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I prefer Firefox over Chrome (especially in netbooks for this reason) because it is more customizable. Last I checked there aren't really any extensions or themes for Chrome.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3699 (Tiny theme, right click the navigation toolbar, click customize, check use small icons and move everything (back, forward, bookmarks etc) to one bar)
+
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1455 (turns Menu bar into Menu button)
=
150px more browsing space which is a lot when your total screens height is only 600px.

Balrogs.Pain

Trophies
XP
Country
War said:
I think I'll be trying out Pidgin, it sounds pretty cool.

@golden: 390 USD with free 2 day shipping.
@flameiguana: Yeah, it runs Project 64 and epsxe perfectly. Dunno about the rumble, but my battery is at 85% and it says I have 7 hours left. This is with bluetooth and camera off, and brightness at half.

@MegaAce: Mine came with XP already installed, so I don't have that problem
biggrin.gif
Oh war, if you stay with trillian, you can get trillian astra by just signing up for the trial, and you get it in less than 5 minutes. i got trillian astra and its very good.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't justify spending 500$ on an eeePC when I have a perfectly good desktop computer. I mean, is 500$ really worth having a few emulators/IM clients on the go, when an iPod/iPhone can handle some of that?
Dunno, just seems pointless now, maybe if I find some good reasons I'll pick one up for now there's no use for one.

Anyways, on topic, cool eeePC War, looks nice
smile.gif

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Salamantis said:
I can't justify spending 500$ on an eeePC when I have a perfectly good desktop computer. I mean, is 500$ really worth having a few emulators/IM clients on the go, when an iPod/iPhone can handle some of that?
Dunno, just seems pointless now, maybe if I find some good reasons I'll pick one up for now there's no use for one.

smile.gif
1. It's 390, not 500. Yes, there is a huge difference. For me, anyway.
2. Yes, its absolutely worth it. My desktop PC is mid-end at best. In fact, the only good thing about my desktop PC is my huge monitor. Other than that, it's nothing our of the ordinary. This netbook allows me to access the internet on the go, watch movies and anime, listen to music, play tons of emulators, etc. Yeah, I'm sure you could do some of the same stuff on an iPod Touch, but the iPod Touch doesn't have bluetooth, 160Gb of storage, a 10 inch screen, etc. It's just not the same, and there's not that much of a difference in price.

PS: Yes, I was talking to Twiffles and taking a poo.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Salamantis said:
The problem is its not really comfortable to multitask on an ipod, and despite what intel tells you, eeepcs are great for multitasking. For example I'll stream a radio stream while IMing and websurfing. Sure its not extreme multitasking, but for a cheap machine you're not gonna be running crysis while running crysis or something.

Add in a cheap gprs/edge or (if you can afford it) 3G, and you got something I can't live without outside my house. Plus it makes a great machine to watch all dat anime I download on the go (on a large screen without need for conversions)

My eeepc was $350 ($300 now)... worth every penny.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
War said:
Salamantis said:

smile.gif

1. It's 390, not 500. Yes, there is a huge difference. For me, anyway.
2. Yes, its absolutely worth it. My desktop PC is mid-end at best. In fact, the only good thing about my desktop PC is my huge monitor. Other than that, it's nothing our of the ordinary. This netbook allows me to access the internet on the go, watch movies and anime, listen to music, play tons of emulators, etc. Yeah, I'm sure you could do some of the same stuff on an iPod Touch, but the iPod Touch doesn't have bluetooth, 160Gb of storage, a 10 inch screen, etc. It's just not the same, and there's not that much of a difference in price.

PS: Yes, I was talking to Twiffles and taking a poo.

1. 390$USD = 471$CAD right now. That plus more ship costs and taxes.
2. So it's worth it just to watch movies and anime on it on the go? Meh, still can't justify that price tag. I watch everything on my desktop or when I go on a trip I get my iPod. But I see your point... I'm running VERY low on space on my iPod and a bigger screen = good, because I can hardly see anime subs on here.

Linkiboy said:
QUOTE(Salamantis @ Apr 16 2009, 06:57 PM)
The problem is its not really comfortable to multitask on an ipod, and despite what intel tells you, eeepcs are great for multitasking. For example I'll stream a radio stream while IMing and websurfing. Sure its not extreme multitasking, but for a cheap machine you're not gonna be running crysis while running crysis or something.

Add in a cheap gprs/edge or (if you can afford it) 3G, and you got something I can't live without outside my house. Plus it makes a great machine to watch all dat anime I download on the go (on a large screen without need for conversions)

My eeepc was $350 ($300 now)... worth every penny.
Few questions: What do you mean by GPRS/EDGE or 3G? Can you like shove a sim card into one or something? Where do you usually bring it with you outside your house for so much time that you can't live without internet access, and how often?

I MIGHT consider getting one, I will go working on the weekend (hopefully) and nab a nice 400-500$.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhh there are some models with simcard slots but I just use bluetooth.

Have you ever been dragged along with your parents to some boring thing that you didn't want to go? Well that's me... often.

Plus it's great for taking to my friends house, for example I was studying for a final with a group of people and we were using google docs to share notes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...