Footage From Cancelled "Legend of Zelda" Movie Pitch Surfaces

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Link's voice should be Barry White and Zelda's could be Fran Dreshcher. Gannondorf could be Ricky Gervais.
Now we got a movie!

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure I would love to see below become reality but doubt it ... if not take my money now:
You know what's funny? Nintendo showed this realistic Zelda demo back in Spaceworld 2001:

And we got The Wind Waker instead.

They show another realistic Zelda demo on the WiiU, and we get... another Wind Waker?
HISTORY+REPEATS+ITSELF!+Ecclesiastes+1+verses+9-10.jpg

Back to the adaptation, I think an anime adaptation of Zelda would fare better. I think they should adapt Ocarina Of Time and Majora's Mask, followed by new adventures for Link and Zelda. Of course, I would hope they don't adapt the non-canonical mangas, because they didn't do things better for the Princess despite her potential that she showed in the game.

And seriously, what's with Nintendo's knack for wasting good potential Zelda demos?

Reactions: Deleted-236924

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, there are a lot of dumb comments in this thread.

IT WAS A ROUGH DRAFT PEOPLE. MEANING CHANGES WOULD HAVE BEEN MADE.

Seriously, that's what a pitch is. It's a rough draft. Something you do quick to get your idea across. And you guys are complaining "animation looks like shit, characters look bad, looks dumb".

I thought it looked pretty good to be honest. Rough around the corners? Definitely. But that's something they could fix. From that pitch trailer they made, I'd say the only bad thing was Link's emo-ish hair.

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, there are a lot of dumb comments in this thread.

IT WAS A ROUGH DRAFT PEOPLE. MEANING CHANGES WOULD HAVE BEEN MADE.

Seriously, that's what a pitch is. It's a rough draft. Something you do quick to get your idea across. And you guys are complaining "animation looks like shit, characters look bad, looks dumb".

I thought it looked pretty good to be honest. Rough around the corners? Definitely. But that's something they could fix. From that pitch trailer they made, I'd say the only bad thing was Link's emo-ish hair.
This! And while the art style could have been better and accurate. I really like how Zelda was portrayed in that video. A nice break of the overused distressed damsel plot.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A Zelda movie could never work due to the lack of vocal dialogue. Nobody has ever heard Zelda or Link speak and that shouldn't change.

Despite never saying any actual words, Link and Zelda DO have voice actors. It's not that big of a stretch if they ever got properly voice acted.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

SolidSnake95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like how Ganon looks.

I know there was a group working on A Link to the Past animation, but its been a little over a year since I've heard of anything. Most of these projects end up cancelled, so I'm not surprised this one is.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Why couldn't they talk? It might not be a bad thing, if the voices are good. Also, have you ever watched The Legend of Link live action fan movie? They pulled it off with a mute Link really well. It didn't seem forced.

well excuuuuuusssssssssseeeeeeee ME!

in all seriousness...they shouldn't talk.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This! And while the art style could have been better and accurate. I really like how Zelda was portrayed in that video. A nice break of the overused distressed damsel plot.

...Wasn't she kinda a damsel in distress who needed THE PATRIARCHY Link to save her in the end? She didn't even get to fight.

Par39

The Life Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
well excuuuuuusssssssssseeeeeeee ME!

in all seriousness...they shouldn't talk.
Oh right that thing... but I still don't see a reason why they should be kept mute just because they haven't had voices up until this point. It would just be a matter of script and the actors, and I could accept them talking. But as I said, it's possible to keep Link as a mute for a whole movie if you know how to do it without it being forced and out of place.

Chiejina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think those who say that Link/zelda have never talked forget the Cartoon, The legend of Zelda - The Animated Series.

Skip to 1:00 if you don't want to hear the awesome mario bros rap.

sevenstitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just one of these things where you cant please anyone.

The Zelda games only hold interest with those who have played them, and the plots are pretty sparse on fine details.
Making a full-fledged movie adaptation would have to be a huge undertaking, and quite a few liberties would have to
be made.

At the end of the day, Anyone who watched the resulting movie that has played the games would be disappointing that
it didn't follow the games closely enough, and everyone else would think it was just another blandish fantasy movie.

And honestly, I love the Zelda series, but does anyone really want to watch a movie where a mute boy trudges around through
the wilderness and preform repetitive tasks in dungeons in order to find a set of somethings in order to go somewhere and fight
a evil magician guy/pig-man to save some girl? Sure, that is seriously marginalizing the plot, but isn't that pretty much the plot of just about every Zelda
game? (gameboy iterations not withstanding)

As for this trailer itself, It should be obvious why Nintendo shut this one down. Really, I know it was a work in progress, but "Saturday morning cgi cartoon"
should not have been the look they were going for. If you want to make media based on an established franchise or brand, it is imperative that you focus your
efforts on being true to the base image of the product. The quality of the animation isn't in question here, it's the entire direction the design was headed in.

You'd think there would have been at least one guy on that development team that stepped back and said "Uhh, what are we making, again ? This doesn't look right."

B.B.Link

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, what about the Mangas? Link and Zelda had personality there. I like the idea of a Dreamworks-like movie and with that pitch and some clean-ups, it could've work, screw that noise about a mute Link. That's what Nintendo brainwashed you into thinking that Link needs no voice. Don't believe that shit.

Also Wario and Toon Link could each have their own cartoon with thier own art-style from their games.

sevenstitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats just it though, a movie adaptation of a video game would most likely follow the general plot of the video game of which it is based, not auxiliary sub-media based upon the video game. In every Zelda game in the franchise Link has been mute, aside from grunts or yells.
He has no lines of dialogue, although it is implied through other characters in conversation with him. He also has no inner monologue, so having Link muse to himself the entire movie wouldn't work either.

I'm not saying that a Zelda movie couldn't work, and that there is no way that Link could speak in it; obviously he would need to speak.
I'm just saying that trying to make a niche form of media into a film format that is supposed to pull in crowds made up of many others than the target audience is nearly impossible.

I was 5 when the Super Mario Bros. Movie came out. I'd been playing nintendo games since I was nearly 2. I still remember sitting at the drive-in watching it and constantly commenting things like "Those aren't goombas, goombas are short and brown! Those shoes are dumb, they don't have any of those! Why isn't King Koopa a koopa? Why does that 'goomba' have a harmonica?" Yoshi is not a velociraptor!"

That movie was bad because the media it was based upon was not represented properly, and as a result, the target audience was disgusted, and everyone else was just confused. The chances of a mainstream Zelda-based movie avoiding that same fate is slim, whether anyone wants to accept that or not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: