Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

Spottedfeather

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
another quick question. In the emulator on my computer, the Williams Arcade Greatest Hits have sound. But when I try to play them on the SNES classic, half of them don't have any sound. I've tried three different versions of the rom and they all play fine on my computer.

My question is this...is there a way to guarantee that I'll be able to find a working copy of this rom that will work on the snes classic ? Also, will .fig files work on the SNES classic ?

santamanga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@KMFDManic or anyone who may know, could you explain the linked version of hakchi2. I'm unclear on the purpose of the symbolic links. I'm having long waits to make any changes, because I have been deleting the contents of "hakchi/games/" and rebuilding the menu (which copy's around 63GB of Games to the SD card). Is this a way to avoid having to erase every game on the SD card every time I just want to add another game or adjust folders? Note, I use custom folders for many systems (>600 games). So dragging a new game onto the root Games folder is not an option.

The other issue I've noticed is that when you try to add a file over 2GB hakchi2 complains and won't let me. I ran into this issue with a few PS1 games. The .PBP format of FFVIII, Riven, and Fear Effect 2 are each over 2GB. I'm sure there are more, those are just the ones I ran into. With the new update allowing MP4 videos, I imagine this will become a real limitation as people (like me) try to add movies and TV shows, which regularly exceed the 2GB limit.

To bypass this for those 3 PS1 games, I created a folder, copied in the artwork I wanted hakchi to automatically use, and made a *.TXT file to masquerade as the ROM. Both artwork and doppelganger "ROM" need to have the same name for hakchi2 to use the artwork. The contents of the text file needs to be unique or hakchi2 will name the resulting game folder the same (CLV-Z-UCNCL for example). I just put the name of the game in the text file, that works well. Then I removed the extension *.TXT and replaced it with *.PBP (my preferred PS1 format, you could do BIN, MDF, ISO, or IMG to match yours). Then I dragged my fake *.PBP into hakchi2, making sure compression is disabled. Hakchi2 adds it, I change the command line as usual (bin/pcsx), made note of the folder name hakchi2 gave these fake games, and closed hakchi2 to save the changes. The last thing to do is copy the real games into the folders that hakchi2 made ("games_snes / CLV-Z-UCNCL / Final_Fantasy_VIII.PBP" for example) and rename the real game to match the name hakchi2 gave the fake one. You have replaced the doppelganger rom with the real one, having bypassed hakchi2's 2GB file size limitation. Don't forget to replace the fake rom, or obviously it won't load.

Can you imagine having to do that for each movie or TV episode over 2GB? There needs to be an update to remove this limit!
Yes, we really need cluster to come back and bring some structure into things.

RIP-Felix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just installed "_km_xmb_monochrome_1_11_18.hmod" and it doesn't display the icons for for menu, just black boxes. Is there a setting or assets I need in addition to the hmod?

Edit:
I'm using retroarch 1.7.0 from @KMFDManic's latest commit. The one for ffmpeg suport.

Last edited by RIP-Felix,

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How to run Castlevania X: Rondo of Blood on USB-HOST (in English)

It took me a while to figure out how to run Castlevania X: Rondo of Blood on USB-HOST since you have to patch the Japanese version. Here are the steps to patch
the Japanese version into English! I hope this helps someone.

1) Download Akumajou Dracula X - Chi no Rondo (Japan) from the internet (I can't link to the actual ROM)
one
2) Mount the .CUE file using daemon tools lite to drive G:

3) Downloaded the patch to convert the language (from Japanese to English) from here > https://www.romhacking.net/translations/846/

4) Open TurboRip.exe (from the download above) and I selected my drive G: from step 2 above, then hit ENTER. The .BIN files get converted to .WAV. I now have a newly created folder with BIN/WAV/CUE files.

5) Patch the ISO/CUE/WAV files using the patch program from step above.

6) Convert the ISO/CUE/WAV files from above to CHD using KMFDM's "chdman" utility > https://github.com/KMFDManic/NESC-SNESC-Modifications/releases/

7) Load the CHD in Hakchi2 and play the ROM. The titles show in English, with English level names, etc.
question?
after that i have 3 chd files! all 3 in the folder or only on? one is 289 the other are 10 and 9MB

its funny the intro to hear in my language^^

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've just tried the new Hakchi1... couldn't get the SD mod to work either... I get my splash screen and then only see the regular 21 games.
same prop at me.
i think the sd mod doesnt work correct

LuckY07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
question?
after that i have 3 chd files! all 3 in the folder or only on? one is 289 the other are 10 and 9MB

its funny the intro to hear in my language^^

Yeah the intro is German :)

You're correct about having 3 CHD files. You only need to use the 289 MB one.

It works good for me, the only thing I noticed is a little lag in areas such as boss battles and sometimes the lag is random. I'm using USB-HOST btw.

My USB-HOST drive is on FAT32 as well, I'm wondering if the lag would go away if I used ext4.

Do you have any lag when you play? What format is your USB-HOST?

Last edited by LuckY07,

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i use the micro sd mod with ext4.

mhh i have some little Frame drops when the first boss gets bigger and heavy frame drops when the first boss burns down after finish him

Reactions: LuckY07

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yes mupen doesnt run good.

glupen works better but i have no sound with it

edit: ok sound is there but it hat texture problems at me

Last edited by Liriel,

psx10k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For symbolic links, it is meant to help with the exact situation you describe. Symbolic links allow a way for only desktop files to be copied to the USB:\hakchi\games folder, leaving the images and games in a folder that is somewhere on the same drive (in this case, the USB) as the "linked" desktop files. In this way, you can more easily add/remove/change games and update the USB without having to copy the images and games over again.

An example of the benefits:
- USB:\hakchi\games folder exists with symbolic linked desktop files to 1000 games. These games are sorted into folders
- USB:\hakchi2 folder exists with the actual games & images + the hakchi2 files
- To add 1 new game to the USB:
1) Start hakchi2 on the USB
2) Add/configure the new game
3) Upload to the USB:\hakchi\games and choose to use symbolic linking + delete the existing USB:\hakchi\games folder ==> this only deletes the symbolic linked desktop files then re-creates them in the USB:\hakchi\games folder. No needless modification/changes were necessary to the initial 1000 games/images, which saves alot of time

The other neat thing that you can do with the symbolic linking is that you could do the setup/"uploading" to a non-USB HD first, then just copy over the files (symbolic linked desktops + games/images). This works if the desktop and games/images folder locations are positioned the same on both the HD and USB because symbolic linking uses relative referencing (if you open up a symoblic linked desktop, you will see a reference like this: /media/hakchi2/games_snes/...). An example:
- C:\hakchi\games\ (this is for the symbolic linked desktop files)
- C:\hakchi2\... (this is for games & images + the hakchi2 files)
- USB:\hakchi\games (copy of the C:\ equivalent folder)
- USB:\hakchi2\... (copy of the C:\ equivalent folder)

The downside of the above approach is that the "source" (C:\) files/structure must be in synch with the USB:\; however, there are several advantages. Write speeds are much faster on a HD than USB, so it saves some time. As well, this would probably be the easiest way to upgrade multiple SNES Classics if you have family or friends that you want to help setup games for. Finally, I like to have a backup of my "source" games/configuration given how much time/effort went into the setup. The HD acts as this main backup whereas the USB is a copy for use/play.

Hope this was helpful.

@KMFDManic or anyone who may know, could you explain the linked version of hakchi2. I'm unclear on the purpose of the symbolic links. I'm having long waits to make any changes, because I have been deleting the contents of "hakchi/games/" and rebuilding the menu (which copy's around 63GB of Games to the SD card). Is this a way to avoid having to erase every game on the SD card every time I just want to add another game or adjust folders? Note, I use custom folders for many systems (>600 games). So dragging a new game onto the root Games folder is not an option.

The other issue I've noticed is that when you try to add a file over 2GB hakchi2 complains and won't let me. I ran into this issue with a few PS1 games. The .PBP format of FFVIII, Riven, and Fear Effect 2 are each over 2GB. I'm sure there are more, those are just the ones I ran into. With the new update allowing MP4 videos, I imagine this will become a real limitation as people (like me) try to add movies and TV shows, which regularly exceed the 2GB limit.

To bypass this for those 3 PS1 games, I created a folder, copied in the artwork I wanted hakchi to automatically use, and made a *.TXT file to masquerade as the ROM. Both artwork and doppelganger "ROM" need to have the same name for hakchi2 to use the artwork. The contents of the text file needs to be unique or hakchi2 will name the resulting game folder the same (CLV-Z-UCNCL for example). I just put the name of the game in the text file, that works well. Then I removed the extension *.TXT and replaced it with *.PBP (my preferred PS1 format, you could do BIN, MDF, ISO, or IMG to match yours). Then I dragged my fake *.PBP into hakchi2, making sure compression is disabled. Hakchi2 adds it, I change the command line as usual (bin/pcsx), made note of the folder name hakchi2 gave these fake games, and closed hakchi2 to save the changes. The last thing to do is copy the real games into the folders that hakchi2 made ("games_snes / CLV-Z-UCNCL / Final_Fantasy_VIII.PBP" for example) and rename the real game to match the name hakchi2 gave the fake one. You have replaced the doppelganger rom with the real one, having bypassed hakchi2's 2GB file size limitation. Don't forget to replace the fake rom, or obviously it won't load.

Can you imagine having to do that for each movie or TV episode over 2GB? There needs to be an update to remove this limit!

Last edited by psx10k,
Reactions: santamanga

byevoltor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello everyone!!!!
Thanks to the great work of KMFDManic every week we have important improvements.
I wish that Cluster manages to introduce the improvements of the scene in hakchi2, so that we can all use the usb easily.
Waiting for Cluster, and thanking KMFDManic for their efforts week after week, and thank everyone at Gbatemp for the help to enjoy the classic Nes and Snes mini.
2f45652c9c1758d13fdae1162c812940--legend-of-zelda-followers.jpg

Reactions: santamanga

rhester72

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
another quick question. In the emulator on my computer, the Williams Arcade Greatest Hits have sound. But when I try to play them on the SNES classic, half of them don't have any sound. I've tried three different versions of the rom and they all play fine on my computer.

My question is this...is there a way to guarantee that I'll be able to find a working copy of this rom that will work on the snes classic ? Also, will .fig files work on the SNES classic ?

Known issue with canoe (and early SNES emulators) - use Retroarch/Snes9x.

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
strange thing I just found. I tried playing the Williams Arcade Greatest Hits, but half of the games don't have any sound to them. They play, but there is just no sound. Any ideas ?

You didn't say what you are trying to play it on:)

There are many bypasses for the 2gb limit. But, that is a very clever one:) I did it that way, as one of the bypasses. But, I have also done it a few other ways, when testing things out. I have been aware of this issue for awhile and have bypassed it a few different ways. But, I will look into the possibility of this being patched, so 2gb files and up can be added!!! I feel your pain:) I will definitely look into this!

As far as the symbolic links, if you extract the linked version to the exact same destination drive that the games are on, and have the games in the games_snes folder, etc, then synch them...Use Left Shift. Choosing to Link them will copy over ONLY the shortcuts! The files themselves will be retained within the linked export games_snes directory! This works out great, since you will never delete your games when resynching to the hakchi/games folder:) Just be careful about Dummy Folder. I keep that separate, then readd it, once games are synched!

i dump the kernel new, and make a new folder with files.
same result
sd card dont work
ubs stick work

but i need the sd card because the cable is not my thing

I will look into this, and see what can be done:)

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
thx kmfdmaniac.
i think it is a problem in the firmware through hakchi and not only at my self because "the frenchman" has the same problem with his sd card mod that it dont work with hakchi 1 from 14.1.

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thx kmfdmaniac.
i think it is a problem in the firmware through hakchi and not only at my self because "the frenchman" has the same problem with his sd card mod that it dont work with hakchi 1 from 14.1.

You using the uboot from the skogaby pack? If stock kernel is written to in 1-14-18, you will need that uboot.

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i only use the hakchi from 14.1 that is in your package.
and i dumpthe kernel after i flash it to original kernel.

i need now the uboot file from skogaby for the sd card mod use in the hakchi 1 version from 14.1??

why you wrote yesterday this? "Supposed to work right out of the box, so to speak. Let me know:) I can communicate if there are issues that need adjusted!"

Last edited by Liriel,

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i only use the hakchi from 14.1 that is in your package.
and i dumpthe kernel after i flash it to original kernel.

i need now the uboot file from skogaby for the sd card mod use in the hakchi 1 version from 14.1??

why you wrote yesterday this? "Supposed to work right out of the box, so to speak. Let me know:) I can communicate if there are issues that need adjusted!"

Try with skogaby uboot and let me know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.