Hacking How to change the system menu region for your Wii!

defrb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello, first of all > thanks for this great guide!

I have a problem with my network on my wii, so theres no internet connection on my wii. Is it still possible to update to 4.1 wih this guide or do i have to fix my internet first?
I have a hard modded wii with wiikey in it.

Thx in advance,

antonkan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ceana said:
Awesome, thanks. It worked almost like a charm. I also got the -1017 error while AnyRegion Changer was doing its work, even though I followed the instructions. The firmware showed up as "." afterwards, but it was fine after a reboot. Also had to install cIOS 36 in order for the USB loader to work again. Again thanks, running 3.2J now (formerly 4.0E).

How to avoid an '-1017' error[*]On the Wii Menu (system menu), navigate to The Homebrew Channel.[*]While you're in The Homebrew Channel, go to WAD Manager.[*]In WAD Manger, install IOS-36-64-v1042.wad first, then IOS-16-64-v257.wad and finally the cIOSfix.wad. After that, press the HOME button to return to The Homebrew Channel.[*]Go to cIOS rev08. In cIOS rev08, choose 'Network Installation' (without quotes).
QUOTE(G0dLiKe @ Aug 8 2009, 10:53 AM) Nice guide!

Question: Will it be necessary to install all the IOS and cIOS files because I have installed cIOSCORP...

Just wondering about it...

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Yes, it will.

lufu5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
hi.. i was wondering can i use this guide for my fresh wii set 4.0. its the one in black. i dont know whether i can use this guide to change it to a 3.2U

lufu5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
hi was wondering anyone can guide me to a link to the guide for changing wii 4.0J to 4.0U or 3.2U if possible... thanks alot in advance..

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
antonkan said:
ceana said:
Awesome, thanks. It worked almost like a charm. I also got the -1017 error while AnyRegion Changer was doing its work, even though I followed the instructions. The firmware showed up as "." afterwards, but it was fine after a reboot. Also had to install cIOS 36 in order for the USB loader to work again. Again thanks, running 3.2J now (formerly 4.0E).

How to avoid an '-1017' error[*]On the Wii Menu (system menu), navigate to The Homebrew Channel.[*]While you're in The Homebrew Channel, go to WAD Manager.[*]In WAD Manger, install IOS-36-64-v1042.wad first, then IOS-16-64-v257.wad and finally the cIOSfix.wad. After that, press the HOME button to return to The Homebrew Channel.[*]Go to cIOS rev08. In cIOS rev08, choose 'Network Installation' (without quotes).QUOTE(G0dLiKe @ Aug 8 2009, 10:53 AM) Nice guide!

Question: Will it be necessary to install all the IOS and cIOS files because I have installed cIOSCORP...

Just wondering about it...

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Yes, it will.

Hmm, tried around with this and ran into some trouble when installing the IOS and cIOS files above mentioned... I did a Nand restore and installed ARC without installing the IOS and cIOS files and it worked without experiencing any errors e.g. 1017 or stuff^^ maybe this is because I only needed to change my shop region in my case.

bkalos

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi. I have 3.3J wii atm, and I want to change to us menu's etc. I followed your guide exactly, but when i get to this step "Go to cIOS rev08. In cIOS rev08, choose 'Network Installation' (without quotes).", i get "ERROR! (ret = -116)".

Is this normal?

Also, when i load anyregionchanger, and apply the changes that i want, it comes back with error -116, and nothing happens.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
rolleyes.gif

retiredjerk

Trophies
XP
Country
anyone have any idea on how to install homebrew channel on 4.1k wii (korean wii)? cant find anything on google as far as 4.1 goes..

very nice guide

antonkan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
retiredjerk said:
anyone have any idea on how to install homebrew channel on 4.1k wii (korean wii)? cant find anything on google as far as 4.1 goes..

very nice guide

4.1K? Isn't 4.1K released in Korea?\

(Sorry for my off-topic post)

Back on topic, you may use The Homebrew Channel Installer Disc. You may Google it.

L_o_N_e_R

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bkalos said:
Hi. I have 3.3J wii atm, and I want to change to us menu's etc. I followed your guide exactly, but when i get to this step "Go to cIOS rev08. In cIOS rev08, choose 'Network Installation' (without quotes).", i get "ERROR! (ret = -116)".

Is this normal?

Also, when i load anyregionchanger, and apply the changes that i want, it comes back with error -116, and nothing happens.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
rolleyes.gif

i believe error -116 means the the wii cant connect to the internet
check your settings make sure its right

QUOTE(retiredjerk @ Aug 14 2009, 07:31 PM) anyone have any idea on how to install homebrew channel on 4.1k wii (korean wii)? cant find anything on google as far as 4.1 goes..

very nice guide

use banner bomb to install
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Bannerbomb
homebrew channel here
http://hbc.hackmii.com/download/

retiredjerk

Trophies
XP
Country
bannerbomb gives me an error saying there are no vulnerable ios's on this wii and firces me to shutdown..its a launch korean wii that i updated to 4.1k thinking bannerbomb would work..its also not chipped..

antonkan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
retiredjerk said:
bannerbomb gives me an error saying there are no vulnerable ios's on this wii and firces me to shutdown..its a launch korean wii that i updated to 4.1k thinking bannerbomb would work..its also not chipped..

Please use The Homebrew Channel Installer DVD disc on your Korean Wii, instead of Bannerbomb. Google search (go to http://www.google.com) for The Homebrew Channel Installer disc. It may work on Korean Wiis.

retiredjerk

Trophies
XP
Country
i dont have a drivechip though..guess i need to install a sunkey lite or someething..

just checked and according ot wiibrew
"The DVD method requires a drivechip and won't work on 3.3 firmware update or newer." so i dont think that will work.. PM me if u got any other advice antonkan..thanks

retiredjerk

Trophies
XP
Country
well antokan i read your guide and it really helped me..this is what i did since hackmii gave me an error saying there were no vulnerable ios's so it coulnt not continue with the homebrew channel installation.

i loaded up bannerbomb and put wad manager 1.5 dol on the root of my sd card and loaded it. i chose ios 20 or 21 and i was able to install IOS36-64-v1042.wad
then i reloaded bannerbomb and used ios36 to install cios_fix.wad which is cIOS rev7 i believe.
then i realoaded bannerbomb and wad manager yet again and used ios249 to install IOS16-64-v257.wad and finally i was able to install bootmii as an ios and also the homebrew channel..

bootmii has no frozen while trying to make a Nandbackup..ill have to shut it off right now and hopefully nothing bad happens which i doubt..so im almost there..hopefullly soon il have a full 4.1korean wii to full 4.1 USA wii. thanks again antonkan , your guide really pointed me inthe right direction. i thought all hope was lost for this wii until hackmii was updated..

retiredjerk

Trophies
XP
Country
little update..

i was able to make a NAND backup and it saved to SD.
i loaded up the homebrew channel and launnched any region changer..i changed everything to usa wii except i exited withouth installing 3.2 system menu.
i then launched waninkokos firmware downgrader and downgraded to 4.0 and it worked. then i tryed to use his upgrade to go to 4.1 but it kepy erroring out. i ended up just installing the official 4.1 update. it gave me an error the first time but when i reloaded the wii i was actually on 4.1U. so for the hell of it i went through the wii and tryed to update again and this time it went through the whole process and completed successfully.
i loaded up trucha bug restore and downgraded ios15 so i could patch iso36 and it worked fine. then i installed cIOS rev14 and that went fine. i have no duplicate channels just usa ones which were installed when i did the official 4.1 update.

Now my only question is do i have all the iso's of a official 4.1U wii or am i still missing some? anyone have any idea? So far it seems like my wii is 100% usa assuming i have all the iso's.

What a day. i converted a black jap oem wii to 4.1U and now this 4.1K wii to 4.1U. i got like 5 wiis now..i think this korean wii is gonna get a new case mod.maybe clear or camo or something cool..ill post pics when im done.

thanks again antonkan.
smile.gif

antonkan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
retiredjerk said:
Now my only question is do i have all the iso's of a official 4.1U wii or am i still missing some? anyone have any idea? So far it seems like my wii is 100% usa assuming i have all the iso's.

You'll need to install IOS 60 and IOS 61. Use NUS Downloader (download here) to get them. It won't bricked your Wii.

harrypmgaga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This might be a stupid question but it has to be asked, when I am installing the wads as listed using WadManager, what IOS do you select to install to?

Cheers.

antonkan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
harrypmgaga said:
This might be a stupid question but it has to be asked, when I am installing the wads as listed using WadManager, what IOS do you select to install to?

Cheers.

The IOS 16 WAD, IOS 36 WAD and CIOSFIX WAD. Just follow my instructions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, windows 10 and some linux distro like linux mint
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    dualbooth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Yeah, I'd recommend having another OS just in-case you want to play games.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least Linux doesn't contain spyware than what Windows has.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, cuz of lag?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, No. Whenever you use the internet on Windows, Microsoft collects personal data and installs bloatware that isn't necessarily needed, such as Edge.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Speaking of which
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    I recall @impeeza mentioned some trick about not having bloatware when installing windows where you set up your country to "world" or smh like that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Yes, you can debloat the operating system, but in some cases for me it just reinstalls them.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    I also recall my brother downloded a "non bloated" version of windows 11 on his pc
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Why debloat? Why not embrace and enjoy my bloat?" - Gates
    +3
  • impeeza @ impeeza:
    @Xdqwerty yes, when you are installing Windows on the first steps you are asked for your current location, you MUST to select «international» so no bloatware is installed, because the bloatware is location based. if this night I have some time I will setup a VM and take screenshots.
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    User Gates "Disliked" your answer.
    +3
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Damn cleaned up 348GB's of crap I wasn't using with that lol
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But can it completely remove RealPlayer? Lol jk
    +2
    I remember at one point it being pretty much labeled as malware lol
    I think my favorite one was that dancing purple gorilla... I uninstalled that thing from sooo many machine people would be like "Why is my computer so slow?" lol because this thing is using like 30% of your system resources.....
    This one lady... her son kept installing Kazaa... OK no problem the issue is he would download DBZ movies and they where amazing usually like 2-8KB in size lol can't remember how many times I had to format and reinstall windows over his stupidity. I even explained to him about file sizes multiple times...
    yeah Bonzi buddy was malware sort of... It was borderline lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: yeah Bonzi buddy was malware sort of... It was borderline lol