How to make custom scenarios for RCT3

I couldn't find anything on this, I don't know if this is due to lack of interest or simply because the relative ease of doing it meant no one thought it necessary to write a tut.

I recently acquired RCT3 and was instantly disappointed to find there was no scenario editor. I played it a lot on PC when it came out and the main thing I would do is play my own scenarios. I found the default ones could be quite limiting and sandbox mode was boring.

If you have access to the PC version its super easy to make custom scenarios for the switch. You can just make a scenario on the PC, and then use it to replace a career mode scenario on the switch.

Load RCT3 on PC, make a scenario to your liking with the scenario editor, and then save it.

Locate the newly created .dat file (Default save location is: Documents/RCT3/Start New Scenarios)

Rename it to the name of one of the career mode scenarios (Whichever one you want to replace). For example "vanillahills.dat" to replace the first scenario Vanilla Hills

Place the file in the following location on your sd card "/atmosphere/contents/01004900113F8000/romfs/campaigns/base/vanillahills.dat"

Start the game, load whichever scenario you replaced and enjoy.

I have attached a plain and simple scenario I made for my own usage, copy the contents of the zip to the root of your sd card. Its intended to be a limited start point that ultimately allows for massive expansion. Please bear in mind this is just a first attempt, as I haven't made one or played the game very much in the last 15 years! It will certainly be rough round the edges, and I'm sure you can all do much better!

As a side note it seems a lot of the data files are the same on PC and Switch. I haven't tried it out but there may be some degree of compatibility with mods for the PC version as long as they only affected data files and the file path was refactored to match the switch version. I don't know if anyone can comment on this further?

Attachments

• RCT3Campaign.zip
    62.6 KB · Views: 45

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
TIL there is an official RCT3 release for Switch, I only knew of the custom OpenRCT fork for RCT1 and 2, thanks for sharing, will get into this the next days.

Reactions: User154

User154

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Creating custom scenarios for RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 (RCT3) involves a few steps and requires the use of the Scenario Editor, which is a built-in tool in the game. Follow these steps to make custom scenarios:
  1. Open the Scenario Editor: Launch RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 and go to the main menu. Click on "Editor" or "Scenario Editor" to access the tool.
  2. Start a New Scenario: Click on "New Scenario" to create a new custom scenario.
  3. Configure Scenario Settings: Set up the basic settings for your custom scenario. This includes the scenario name, description, objective, landscape, starting cash, and any other specific conditions you want for the scenario.
  4. Modify Terrain: Use the landscaping tools to sculpt the terrain as you desire. You can raise or lower land, add water bodies, create mountains, or customize the landscape to fit your scenario theme.
  5. Place Rides and Attractions: Add rides, roller coasters, shops, and scenery items to your scenario. Go to the "Rides" and "Scenery" tabs to choose from the available objects. Be sure to balance the placement of rides and attractions to meet the scenario's objectives.
  6. Set Goals and Objectives: Define the goals and objectives for your custom scenario. These could include achieving a certain park rating, reaching a target number of guests, earning a specific amount of money, etc.
  7. Test and Adjust: Playtest your custom scenario to see if it's challenging but achievable. You may need to adjust the objectives, starting funds, or ride placements to fine-tune the difficulty level.
  8. Save Your Scenario: Once you're satisfied with your custom scenario, save it from the Scenario Editor.
  9. Share Your Scenario: If you want others to enjoy your creation, you can share the saved scenario files with friends or the RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 community.
  10. Download Custom Content: If you want to enhance your custom scenario with additional objects, scenery, or custom content created by other players, you can download custom content from various RCT3 community websites and forums.
Remember that creating engaging and enjoyable scenarios might take some practice and experimentation. As you become more familiar with the Scenario Editor and understand the game's mechanics better, you'll be able to design more intricate and exciting custom scenarios for RollerCoaster Tycoon 3.

Thanks for your reply, on the switch there is no built in scenario editor. This is some great advice on how to make a fun and enjoyable scenario, but would still require following the steps above to actually play the scenario on a switch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye tempBOT: @ The Real Jdbye farts behind the fan +1