Iowa might lose gay marriage

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
(Reuters) - Voters around the United States cast ballots on Tuesday in local and state elections, including ballot initiatives in Ohio to curb union power and in Mississippi that could outlaw abortion, governors races in Kentucky and Mississippi, and big-city mayoral contests.
The elections were the last before voters go to the polls early next year in various state primaries and caucuses to pick a Republican challenger to face President Barack Obama, a Democrat, in the November 2012 presidential contest.

One closely watched ballot initiative is in Mississippi, where voters are asked to decide whether human life begins at conception, the so-called "personhood amendment" to the state constitution.

If it passes, Mississippi would be the first U.S. state to define a fertilized egg as a person, a controversial concept aimed at outlawing abortion, some types of birth control and infertility methods that result in the loss of embryos.

This would open a new front in the political and legal battles over abortion in the United States, and could embolden abortion opponents to try to pass such measures in other states.

Governors will be chosen in Kentucky and Mississippi. There are elections for mayors in eight of the nation's largest 25 cities including Houston, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Phoenix.

Ohio, a key swing state won by President Barack Obama in the 2008 election, has a closely watched vote over the power of organized labor, which suffered setbacks this year in Wisconsin and other states.

Voters will decide whether to overturn a law that would severely restrict the collective bargaining rights of public sector unions in the state.

GOOD TURNOUT

The weather in such major Ohio cities as Columbus and Cincinnati was fine, which should help turnout, poll watchers said.

Kathi Schear, an election official in the Columbus neighborhood of Clintonville, said she has worked 11 elections, including the last presidential vote, and had never seen turnout as high as on Tuesday morning.

In Cincinnati, Mayor Mark Mallory visited polling places to greet voters and encourage them to vote to reject the law, a centerpiece of Republican Governor John Kasich's legislative agenda.

It passed the Republican-dominated assembly in the spring. But opponents were able to gather 1.3 million signatures to halt its enactment and put it on the ballot for repeal.

"The weather is great. Hopefully the stars are aligning. There seems to be a buzz in the community about the issue," Mallory said. "I think people know it's a horrible attack on unions and hopefully the people of Ohio will turn it back."

A Quinnipiac University poll showed that as of late October, nearly 6 out of 10 Ohio voters surveyed wanted the law repealed.

While massive protests in Wisconsin earlier this year grabbed national attention, Ohio is more important to unions. It has 360,000 public sector union members and the fifth largest number of total union members in the country, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

We Are Ohio, a group opposing the law, has raised $19 million, according to the Ohio Secretary of State, versus $7.6 million raised for supporters. Money has poured into television ads, and thousands of volunteers on both sides have worked phone banks and gone door to door to get out the vote.

PASSIONATE ISSUE IN MISSISSIPPI

In Mississippi, the anti-abortion personhood amendment drew passionate reactions from voters on both sides of the issue.

"I voted for it," said Lillie Graham, a 56-year-old mother of four children in Meridian, Mississippi.

"No one should take a life like that. When you conceive, you conceive," she said.

Jackson resident Michelle Colon, 38, said she helped organize grassroots efforts against the proposed constitutional amendment.

"The anti-choice people lied and hoodwinked the voters," she said. "We organized to get the truth out about this. They did not tell the people how far-reaching it would be."

Political analysts also are expected to watch closely contests for state legislature seats in Virginia and Iowa. Republicans are trying to win a majority of seats in the Virginia Senate, which would be a bad sign for Obama, who won Virginia in 2008 and hopes to do so again in 2012.

A special election for an Iowa state Senate seat could change the balance of power there and encourage Republicans to try to overturn the state's approval of same sex marriage.

An Arizona lawmaker who championed the state's tough crackdown on illegal immigration last year faces a recall election.

Source:http://www.reuters.c...E7A73C320111108

I pray a Democrat wins. if a Republican wins, Iowa will most likely no longer allow gay marriage within a year.

Opinions?????

I will update this post with the result of that election, when it's announced. Or I'll make a new post.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Limiting unions I like, and the abortion deal is meh. Do they intend on outlawing EVERY type of birth control or what is their criteria?

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What's wrong with gay marriage???? And Iowa is not in the middle of nowhere. It's right around Illinois. Why limit unions? Yes, it makes every type of birth control illegal except condoms. Oh and that bill failed in Ohio by the way. SB5 is no longer law. So the unions won!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 person

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I know it's always religious bullshit which has nothing to do with state or federal marriage.

Hallelujah. Liz Mathis won!!!!!!! Iowa will probably keep gay marriage!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you, Iowa District 18!!!!!!!!!!

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I understand your point and no your not a smart ass. But that's how it would appear on a bill, well that or the term marriage equality.

Crimson Ghoul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, I want to start off by saying that I don't see the point in the institution of marriage. These days hardly anyone stands up for the vows they take. Marriage was supposed to be an eternal bond between two people forming a union out of love promising to be forever faithful. Second, let them have their marriage, I don't see why people have to be up in other people's business. I bet their ceremonies are a lot nicer that strait ones lol. Third, abortion should always be left up to choice. If the child is unwanted it will grow up unwanted mistreated and just suffer. Might as well end it before it starts. Besides, can't they just go to another state where abortion is legal?

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Tax breaks, proof of their love through legal documents, and lots of other stuff. Yeah they could as it would then fall under that state's jurisdiction.

Mississippi's Personhood Amendment has been defeated 55-45.

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Atlanta has ended the ban on selling alcohol on Sunday and our nation's youngest gay mayor has been elected, his name is Alex Morse, and he's 22 years old.

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Abortion and marriage are 2 different things . When it comes to the marriage thing , ( when I was bible thumping I was against it , now that I moved away from that that hypocrisy ) I dont care. If you can remove your religious beliefs/convictions for just one moment. what you have when it comes marriage ( yea I know marriage is a religious thing , but you have to look deeper) Its about 2 people commiting themselves to one another. It's about 2 people who say ..... when the world turns against you , when the rain never seems to stop , the sun refuses to shine , the river is deep , the mountains are high , the path is a long and arduous one ...... Marriage steps in and says , they turned against you but I am still here . It is raining so take this umbrella . It is dark , but you illuminate my world. When it comes to the river , you let me sail upon you. The mountains , you have carried me over. The path that looks arduous , is feels like a cool summers breeze.

Thats what marriage is. If you willing to deny someone of that , then you yourself should be denied.

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Abortion on the other hand , should be like the death penalty here , 100% in favor , or its a life sentence...................... i.e. the man and woman both need to agree

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima took the stage at the outset to reveal that Switch will...