Hacking Discussion Isn't anyone else here SERIOUSLY concerned for Nintendo or indie devs?

Do you yhink we should just stop already?

• We need to stop

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • We don't need to stop

Votes: 137 56.8%
  • NINTENDO MUST SUFFER

Votes: 42 17.4%
  • oof that spelling error

Votes: 42 17.4%

• Total voters

iteacha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you assume that everyone's into piracy? Of course there're people who still care about Nintendo and Devs and there're also people who don't care. I have Nintendo's stock which worth almost $30K but I don't really care much about this piracy situation.

Reactions: the_randomizer

RepeatingDigits

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Yes, I sure am concerned about a multi-million dollar company losing money. After all, we know that one download takes the $60 directly from their pockets, oh the humanity!

D

Deleted User

In all honesty? Any moron can make a paperclip jig. Took all but 5 seconds. Then booting into RCM takes a small bit of practice. However, TX is offering a full solution, complete with Jig and Piracy.
But then you have to argue you have to pay for TX. So not everyone is going to go to TX. And even then, we know a hardware revision is coming out. So by the time that revision comes out, most of it, kind of won't matter to the public. Then you have those who want to try, but are genuinely afraid to do so since it involves sticking metal in places that it doesn't exactly belong. Oh and I'm rambling again. go figure. But I don't see it as an issue since the hardware revision is just going to wipe the slate clean in the long run. If it was caught much later. Then it would be a potential problem. (I don't think you think it is a problem. I was rambling again by accident)

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I'm more concerned about pirates than piracy.

Seriously, once Nintendo gets the hammer rollin', you guys are gonna be in a world of hurt. No more 3ds kid gloves.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo? Not particularly, they are huge.

Indie devs, however, have more to lose, and for smaller ones, you should be concerned.

Gold_Experience

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
We can tell they are worried and paying close attention. They really should be. Every console can EASILY run Homebrew applications and soon backups or a freeShop situation. Hell I used a paperclip to get into RCM. It's been happening since the Wii and shows no sign of stopping. I don't think Rei should release that XCI dumper/installer. It's a stupid slippery slope that could seriously harm Nintendo.

CONSIDER THIS
The Switch is currently in it's prime. The old consoles didn't get open piracy or real Homebrew development until well into their overall lifespan. The Switch is getting it NOW. Only 2 years in. Most sales will be made around this time and most switch owners will be looking into Homebrew if it's so widespread and so stupidly easy to pull off.
Lmao piracy hurts no one. Morality gets in the way alot.

aytug25

Trophies
XP
Country
I believe every console will be hacked one day, so console companies must offer us great online features and good prizes, otherwise they deserve to lose against piracy.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I'm more concerned about pirates than piracy.

Seriously, once Nintendo gets the hammer rollin', you guys are gonna be in a world of hurt. No more 3ds kid gloves.
Here's a better, and more in-depth elaboration of this post:

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo kind of brings this on themselves... With all the restrictions they implement on their systems, it's no wonder hackers want to liberate their systems like they do. Hell, it took from the Gamecube until the Switch just to get them to listen about our bitching of Region Lock. And on Xbox360/One or PS3/4, you can stick the game in, install it to internal storage, and keep the original safe. That's exactly what I'm going to be using the SX Pro for. Dumping my carts to XCI, and keeping my precious carts at home, playing digitally. As well as save management.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a rule for me: BUY AAA games like Smash, Mario, Zelda and even the Mario Party series.
The games are $60 true, but they're worth it. BotW even $80 imo.

tides

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe 10,000 pirates, who werent going to buy a game anyways, compared to 18,000,000 switches sold, its not a drop in the bucket to them.

it's clear that nintendo is the one who doesn't need the money but the indie who are working from home, jobless and hoping that their game will at least let them earn enough money to buy a house and eat well

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
concerned for ninty or devs? not in general, no.

but I have a gripe when money that could have gone to buying games goes to the pockets of some shitty company that wants to cash in on people that want "free games".

it's not free if you have to pay for it. it sort of defeats the purpose imho.
better make sure the money goes to the right pockets.

Nyteshade714

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CFW and backup loading early on can aid a console's success rather than the other way around. The PSP is a prime example, as it was easily hacked due to the original firmware release in Japan having little security in place (so hackers had full easy access to everything, much like the situation with the Switch). An interesting loop is created where early piracy creates a boom in console sales for said piracy, and these numbers are what studios look at to decide whether or not a port is warranted when making a new game. Although these console sales typically don't account for any game sales as the pirates tend to buy the console with no intention of actually purchasing any games, the sales numbers for the console are still there. So the big boost in console sales drives more devs to make games available for the console, which in turn boosts the number of legitimate console purchases.

Last edited by Nyteshade714,
Reactions: Trappie

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol