• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Ransomware attack worldwide at the moment.

image.jpeg

looks like the world is being attacked by a very serious Ransomware virus.

so far UK, US, China, Russia, Spain and many more data's being hold to Ransom. its called WannaCry. and affects windows computers.

The infections seem to be deployed via a worm - a program that spreads by itself between computers.

Most other malicious programmes rely on humans to spread by tricking them into clicking on an attachment harbouring the attack code.

By contrast, once WannaCry is inside an organisation it will hunt down vulnerable machines and infect them too.

Some experts say the attack may have been built to exploit a weakness in Microsoft systems that had been identified by the NSA and given the name EternalBlue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39901382

Last edited by Chary,

EthanAddict

An investment to nothingness
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh right, I remember you now. I shall now disregard your posts because you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about, and probably think "GPT" and "MBR" are evil Linux things made by your precious college students or something.

MBR: Master Boot Record, too obsolete

GPT: GUID Partition Table, used almost everywhere if >2010

Reactions: Deleted User

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh right, I remember you now. I shall now disregard your posts because you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about, and probably think "GPT" and "MBR" are evil Linux things made by your precious college students or something.
Partitioning has nothing to do with the discussion. Yet you're again evading what was being said but I'm not surprised. Typical Linux elitist wannabe not accepting reality that end-users with updated Windows aren't affected by this, lmao. Maybe next time you find more reasons to promote your OS. ;)

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Partitioning has nothing to do with the discussion. Yet you're again evading what was being said but I'm not surprised. Typical Linux elitist wannabe not accepting reality that end-users with updated Windows aren't affected by this, lmao.
1, it *does* affect updated Windows due to aforementioned credential stealing.
2, partitioning actually does matter, since the Petya ransomware installs itself in the MBR. If you use UEFI+GPT, this part of the infection might not affect you.

Perhaps you should actually read what you're replying to instead of assuming anyone even remotely critical of your precious operating system is a "Linux elitist"?

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wrong, it *does* affect updated Windows, and for a simple reason I explained earlier. If a single unpatched machine on a corporate domain gets infected (or a patched machine gets infected in other ways, e.g. email), the ransomware then gets access to credentials that it can then use to spread to other machines on the domain, even if they are patched.
Correct but you obviously missed the point so don't jump to conclusions as to everyone else is clueless other than you, the smartest proud Linux elitist. End-users only have very few machines so it's pretty self-explanatory to just update them hence why end-users aren't affected. Hence, I was right all along but rather making a temper tantrum over reality.

Last edited by BullyWiiPlaza,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Because end users never go to places with public Wi-Fi networks where there's lots of other people.
End users also don't always know better. To say it only affects a small percentage is pretty stupid.

Mate, I quoted the wrong person. F. M. L.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. An end user is someone casually using a product (at home) in contrast to companies but the context should have been obvious when people already like to pick on questionable meanings of words.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_user
Wikipedia said:
In product development, an end user (sometimes end-user) is a person who ultimately uses or is intended to ultimately use a product. The end user stands in contrast to users who support or maintain the product, such as sysops, system administrators, database administrators, information technology experts, software professionals and computer technicians. End users typically do not possess the technical understanding or skill of the product designers, a fact that is easy for designers to forget or overlook, leading to features with which the customer is dissatisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Not a lot, just relaxing