• Replies 110
  • Likes 15

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Hykem himself has never mentioned anything about legal trouble or being doxed or any if the other rumors. In fact, the only source that mentioned it (aside from speculation, which is irrational) was a click bait story that had no sources or confirmation.

I highly doubt hykem was hit with a lawsuit. If that were true, every dev working on the wiiu from that point on would have been hit as well.

Also, I didn't say he owed anyone anything. I was remarking on the fact that his letter was overall pointless. He didn't clarify anything or bring any new info. You guys should start making "he doesn't owe you anything" bumper stickers. It seems to be a popular slogan here.
That story, which Crediar confirmed most of it, did mention that everything happen all of a sudden and he had to erase everything quickly before he disappeared. He wasn't really about to stop by and tell us what's happening. That's the barrier between internet life and real life.

Also, the lawsuit is not necessarily about IOSU. There were rumors that it was actually Sony. Hell, it might've been some kind of loophole that let whoever exploit it. That, and geographical locations matter. What country you are from makes it easier/harder to try for whoever to go after you.

As for the "owed anyone anything" part, that wasn't meant for you. I was talking about people in general. However you do seem to think that he owes us a story or clarification of what has happened? This was a farewell note, rather than an explanation note.

Either way, this is all speculation, and this letter might not even be from him anyway (I think it)

Bottom line.. Dev says he has problems. His credentials back him up, part of his released work prove to be legit, and respected devs back up his story. So why the doubt? Yeah, if "he doesn't owe anyone anything" is a bumper sticker slogan, it sure is a good one.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It does seem strange that they went after Hykem when so many other people working on exploits are apparently safe, many of whom even use their real names on Twitter. Absolutely not doubting the story, just seems like there must be more to the story than just IOSU.

And, everybody got their iso loading anyway.

Reactions: WeedZ and brienj

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I think that every game dev company should stop and rethink just about EVERYTHING. We're just devs trying to get the full power out of your consoles and we may be future game devs but we get no thanks. We're even finding exploits that you didn't even find in the first place. Honestly, you should thank us.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Honestly, I think that every game dev company should stop and rethink just about EVERYTHING. We're just devs trying to get the full power out of your consoles and we may be future game devs but we get no thanks. We're even finding exploits that you didn't even find in the first place. Honestly, you should thank us.
I don't think you're going to find much thanks from those who insist on these arbitrary restrictions being implemented in the first place.

At the end of the day, it's always going to be a game of tug-and-war between those who are legally obligated to protect their so-called 'intellectual property' and maintain the integrity of their closed format as safe for commercial developers, and those who believe that formats should be open and that people should be able to maximise the use of the machines that they purchase. You're not going to see much compromise there from either side.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
In my opinion it doesn't have to turn into a drama. Remember this console-hacking thing is supposed to be a fun experience, and in the same time didactic for developers and users.

There is too much drama in this story that it 's turning to be like a sad movie (hykem got raided, hykem scarified his work for the sake of another team, hykem is hated in his university for hacking nintendo, hykem will quit and he will never "log into the Internet again"...).

Please Mr. Hykem be a happy person and don't fear for being a hacker (in business they'll call you security expert and they pay top salary ...) maybe these are just illusions in your head. Please live your life and do things you enjoy, continue your master degree and live like everybody else does. I'm sure you're still browsing this forum from time to time so I just wanted to tell you my point of view and sorry for sticking my nose into your affairs.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
It does seem strange that they went after Hykem when so many other people working on exploits are apparently safe, many of whom even use their real names on Twitter. Absolutely not doubting the story, just seems like there must be more to the story than just IOSU.

And, everybody got their iso loading anyway.

There is always a fall guy and maybe Hykem was the one. If lawsuits was true then I can see why he has abandoned and destroyed all his work.

Davidosky99

Eevee :3
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.davidosky99.xyz
XP
Country
Screenshot_20160819_111420.png

Recenty asked petermary17 via discord if he owned the hykem twitter and he denied of owing it.
Later he posted this tweet(more recently) so I guess he doesn't own it? :P

Last edited by Davidosky99,

BIFFTAZ

Trophies
XP
Country
The worst these companies would do is frighten him with a little jail time (Likely he'd serve 0 days), Bankrupted him & everything will be fine with a few years as long as he keeps his "Idle hands" in check. He makes it sound as if he almost got himself into the same level of shit as Edward Snowden got him self into.

Last edited by BIFFTAZ,

kiryu1

Trophies
XP
Country
too bad he didn't go out with a bang(like he released all his work before retiring).

what's with people pretending to be Hykem, what will they gain from it?

uqbn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
F**kin' capitalism. Intellectual Piracy is a piece of shit imposed by Anglo-Saxons on the whole world. There was not Patent Law in the USSR and nobody died. US, Japan etc. stole Russian inventions for dozens of billions dollars. Then who are the thieves? Was there anybody in the West who landed in prison for that?
There is no ethical problem in intellectual piracy at all. It's a corporate instrument: no more, no less. You can't steal an idea a priori. It's nonsense.

Mr Objection

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
F**kin' capitalism. Intellectual Piracy is a piece of shit imposed by Anglo-Saxons on the whole world. There was not Patent Law in the USSR and nobody died. US, Japan etc. stole Russian inventions for dozens of billions dollars. Then who are the thieves? Was there anybody in the West who landed in prison for that?
There is no ethical problem in intellectual piracy at all. It's a corporate instrument: no more, no less. You can't steal an idea a priori. It's nonsense.
but you can go to prison, if you dont like it move to Afganistán

Nuada

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

To every cow her calf! Anglo-Saxons me hole! That shower were still swinging out of the trees and had yet to develop a culture to speak of when the Irish were going to war over copyright.

:)

https://opensource.com/law/11/6/story-st-columba-modern-copyright-battle-sixth-century-ireland

uqbn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
To every cow her calf! Anglo-Saxons me hole! That shower were still swinging out of the trees and had yet to develop a culture to speak of when the Irish were going to war over copyright.

:)

https://opensource.com/law/11/6/story-st-columba-modern-copyright-battle-sixth-century-ireland
There is a big difference between the system and the isolated cases. Modern "Intellectual Rights" system is Anglo-Saxon "invention". Read Wiki at least. And it was corporate instrument from the very beginning. There is no ethic in "Intellectual Rights" at all. People lived and can live without them for centuries.:) After all it's not a big problem to monetize ideas by other ways if you need.

YayIguess

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
country checks out

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never understood the hate towards someone doing something free for the community to enjoy. Even if he wasnt as on point with his targeted dates with releases he tries to be as sincere as possible in trying to do what he can. At the end of the day this is a single person doing something on his own time that he isnt obligated to do in the first place, the entitlement is even more damning when majority of the time its for piracy and not legitimate homebrew.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BigOnYa how are you doing