New report claims the Switch's successor will launch next year, with third-party developers in possession of dev kits

download (1).jpeg

The rumour mill continues around the successor to the Switch, but is this one the one? According to Video Games Chronicle, and corroborated by Eurogamer, Nintendo is likely to release its next-gen hardware in the second half of 2024. VGC's sources, which include "multiple people with knowledge of Nintendo's next-gen console plans", claim that the device will be useable in handheld mode and support physical cartridges like the Switch. However, backwards compatibility remains unclear.

The next-gen hardware will also apparently sport an LCD display, instead of an OLED one, in order to keep costs low while packing higher storage for higher fidelity games. Dev kits of the system are also with key partners, according to the report.

Of course, take this report with a grain of salt as these are unofficial news and rumours around a Switch Pro or Switch 2 have been around for a while. But eventually, we will get a successor to the Switch in one form or another; and whether it will replicate the latter's success remains to be seen.

:arrow: SOURCE

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
old rumor... outdate post
It's an old rumor but it's just getting backed up a little bit by some more sources that are more well known. So it's getting a bit more serious than the Switch Pro stuff we previously had.

And also considering the Switch was announced just a few months before it's release, I can see them doing it again.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cuz Sony and Microsoft console names for each new gen are so creative and fresh.
Sony keeps it simple while Microsoft seems to love confusing people.

Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox Series X/S

And don't forget Xbox One S looks very similar to the Series S, and Xbox One X with the new black Series S. If there are scummy retail employees (and online sellers) who want to sell old stock to grandparents, those Xbox One S units might be sold as such.

xboxonex.jpg

Untitled-design-2023-06-20T131132.148.jpg

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya it’s coming next year. The extended warranty for the Switch in Japan is ending next month. Everything is starting to align.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, they haven't been fighting for power since the Gamecube. It wasn't obviously worth it. And their selling of devices seem to tell the world, they are right.
Plus they aren't out to be power houses, Nintendo's always been targeting children in that regard. And when mom and dad love each other they make well more children giving Nintendo more to profit off of. Why give a console huge GBs of rams and clock speeds when a shiney IP at lower development cost can sell just as well.

Reactions: Vorde

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Don't care about handheld mode; handhelds should be dedicated devices, like the Game Boy and DS families were.
If it's capable of both handheld and TV modes, I'm only ever gonna use TV mode for the superior visuals and audio, and most likely framerate too.

Plus, back when TV and handhelds were separate consoles, we used to get 3D Legend of Zelda on the beefier TV and 2D Zelda on the portable handheld - I'd like to return to that model, myself.

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo would have to be out of their fucking minds to not include backwards compatibility. Ultimate may very well be the last Smash Bros game, and MK8 still has a very active online player base.
I strongly believe that next gen would be BC with Switch games, especially if they still use latest version of Tegra.

3DS is BC with DS and Wii U is BC with Wii.

Nintendo of America President said Switch will have few years left in lifespan, so I believe 2025 or 2026 are likely.

and next-gen console isn't easy path for Nintendo because they don't want to repeat the mistake with Wii U, so they want to make sure that next-gen is successful, not failing.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Can we replace REPORT with RUMOR?

this is literally hearsay
PCB manufacturers like foxconn have already confirmed working on prototype boards for the new system. So it's all but confirmed by N themselves.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Plus they aren't out to be power houses, Nintendo's always been targeting children in that regard. And when mom and dad love each other they make well more children giving Nintendo more to profit off of. Why give a console huge GBs of rams and clock speeds when a shiney IP at lower development cost can sell just as well.
I honestly think they've been targeting "Family" rather than just children, but you're right.
Also Nintendo is a Japanese company, and a lot of people play with their phones, games etc on the go. Why the Switch also was a massive hit in Japan.

PCB manufacturers like foxconn have already confirmed working on prototype boards for the new system. So it's all but confirmed by N themselves.
Wouldn't surprise me if they announce a successor to the Switch in September/October.

Reactions: Jayro

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly think they've been targeting "Family" rather than just children, but you're right.
Also Nintendo is a Japanese company, and a lot of people play with their phones, games etc on the go. Why the Switch also was a massive hit in Japan.

Wouldn't surprise me if they announce a successor to the Switch in September/October.
Yes, kids generally beg the adults for video game consoles and the parents want to play with their children for bonding time or to just get rid of the little brats for a few hours. A switch 2 would make sense since Nintendo knows the word of emulation will spread plus it's around that time anyway.

Reactions: linuxares

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States

I think most of us that have been following the leaks feel this way too. It just "feels right" as far as timing goes. Usually the 2nd Zelda release on any given system is a sign that system is getting a good send-off. We got 2 epic Zelda titles, plus a Wii port of Skyward Sword, a remake of Link's Awakening, and 2 Hyrule Warriors games. It's one of the best platforms for Zelda games for sure. (Also the 2 N64 games on NSO)

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That would surprise me, as it's just before the christmas season. Announcing a new console always has the side effect of potential buyers deciding to pospone the purchase of a console until the new model comes out. So that would affect negatively the holiday season's sales. The announcement will probably be made at the beginning of 2024.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
That would surprise me, as it's just before the christmas season. Announcing a new console always has the side effect of potential buyers deciding to pospone the purchase of a console until the new model comes out. So that would affect negatively the holiday season's sales. The announcement will probably be made at the beginning of 2024.
The Switch was revealed 20th of October 2016. So if they release it in March again, it would fit since it's after the holiday rush.

Reactions: Jayro and Dust2dust

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, considering that Splatoon 3, Pokemon S/V and Mario Kart all have DLC that haven't finished releasing yet and some of them have overlap with when this console would be out, I seriously doubt this will be a thing. Unless it's completely backwards compatible with the Switch, it would be really weird to shoot the sales of all your 1st party DLC in the foot.

If this does get announced, please quote this post and laugh at me. Still think there's no chance, but I want my punishment in case it does happen.

gaga941021

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
that's it i'm out. i'm tired of these pricks making the same shit over and over. guarantee it won't be able to hold up against the ps5 and xbox YET AGAIN! hope it's hacked in a month with emulator shortly after. and with their track record with shitty security it probably will be :lol:
Are you new to Nintendo? You must be the only persone to expect PS5 fidelity.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Meta what's @Psionic Roshambo onlyfans password