• Likes 5

ggyo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly. If people wanted a better LCD with multi-touch/capacitive features, that's the the iPad is for. They should buy Apple's products since they're better suited for their self-entitled sanctimonious attitudes.

Off-screen play....being able to play games, watch YouTube or Netflix when someone else is using the TV is quite beneficial, but if people want to wait while others watch Glee marathons or Here Comes Honey Boo Boo until they play the precious Xbox One/PS4 games, fine by me.
The technology is similar to Intel's WiDi or Wireless Display tech where AV data is sent from the consol to the game pad with less than 1/60th of second delay. That tech ain't cheap either, people are just being uppity because they can't back up their arguments with facts.
Unfortunately, you're wrong... low latency low-range wireless communication is very cheap. Nintendo made it even cheaper by making the range even lower.

The quality of the WiiU controller is not my point. My POINT is that it cannot be a costly device. The components of a WiiU aren't much more expensive than an Xbox 360, which would be evened out by the 360 HDD and the WiiU's lack of. So does the WiiU controller warrant a potential $150 price?

No fuckin' doubt, right?

No. I fuckin' doubt, alright? That Japanese sneaky ninja-pearlharbour-upskirtpeaking company called Nintendo is lying to everybody.

mkdms14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait a minute is Nintendo actually taking responsibility for its own stupidity? That does not seem right Nintendo never accepts blame for anything, it is always someone's else's fault.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Whether Nintendo fans like it or not, Nintendo will have to take action before the PS4 and the XBox One enter the market, or soon after they do and that action will be a price cut. Without it, the Wii U has zero chances of competing with far superior hardware, not with that kind of a price tag.
$300, and you get a frigging extra screen along with the console. No, the price tag is not the problem. The problem is nogaems (and terrible marketing, but most of all, nogaems). What they need is a) a title that can do for the WiiU what Wii Sports did for the Wii, and b), they need 3rd party titles, because they can't make "srs mature hardcore titles 4 mature hardcore gamers" to save their life. And since no sane company will develop for a console that doesn't sell, Nintendo should fund the development (or porting) themselves. If they're going to lose $100 on every console sold, they should at least spend that money on developing a library of games.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Unfortunately, you're wrong... low latency low-range wireless communication is very cheap. Nintendo made it even cheaper by making the range even lower.

The quality of the WiiU controller is not my point. My POINT is that it cannot be a costly device. The components of a WiiU aren't much more expensive than an Xbox 360, which would be evened out by the 360 HDD and the WiiU's lack of. So does the WiiU controller warrant a potential $150 price?

No fuckin' doubt, right?

No. I fuckin' doubt, alright? That Japanese sneaky ninja-pearlharbour-upskirtpeaking company called Nintendo is lying to everybody.
In essence they developed 2 consoles at the same time.
The Wii gamepad and the WiiU.
Must have been a very costly R&D.
It's quite a brave achievement without being a MEGAMULTIMILLIONDOLLAR company like Sony and Microsucks.
Besides most people do not care about any specs, they only care about having a good time.
We all know Nintendo can provide us and even getting people together in the living room, instead on forums.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I agree there. But just remember, Nintendo has pulled this off before, so im pretty sure the mindset is they can pull it off again. If they can or not (especially being a PowerPC in an x86 world.) this time.
Most companies have. Remember Sony's speech at E3 2011 where they "apologized" for PSN getting hacked? They made it sound like PSN just had some downtime (as opposed to major security flaws) and covered it up with free games. Pretty much everybody fell to their knees and forgave Sony.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most companies have. Remember Sony's speech at E3 2011 where they "apologized" for PSN getting hacked? They made it sound like PSN just had some downtime (as opposed to major security flaws) and covered it up with free games. Pretty much everybody fell to their knees and forgave Sony.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that. A lot of people fell off the Sony bandwagon after the hack. My father wouldn't even consider a PS4 for the sole reason that he doesn't trust the PSN infrastructure. And we didn't even own a PS3!
(We considered it, but after that he wanted nothing to do with it)
And I can think of many people that turned their backs on Sony and never looked back after the hack happened.

ggyo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Inessence they developed 2 consoles at the same time.
The Wii gamepad and the WiiU.
Must have been a very costly R&D.
It's quite a brave achievement without being a MEGAMULTIMILLIONDOLLAR company like Sony and Microsucks.
Besides most people do not care about any specs, they only care about having a good time.
We all know Nintendo can provide us and even getting people together in the living room, instead on forums.
Not true. The gamepad is a controller with a screen. There's no internal processing. No ram, no CPU, no GPU. Even the screen isn't a hallmark. Not special, and it's been done in the gaming world.
Throwing a screen on a controller is not costly R&D... wtf... what's there to research and develop? Did you know "R" and "D" stand for "RESEARCH" and "DEVELOP"? They didn't re-invent the controller. They didn't re-invent the screen. Their controller is missing analog shoulder buttons, and they almost used slider analog pads, and the screen is TFT, non-multitouch, low resolution. They went backwards.
Nintendo has a gross marketworth, networth and more holdings than Sony. Since 2000 (more 1999), post Walkman-brand success, Sony has been annually losing billions... over $180 billion, as their marketworth was over $200 billion in 2000, and now it's edging under the $20 billion mark, but after consolidating software and hardware and reforming their HDTV sections, they've begun to climb up again. Also, MicroSOFT is probably one of the most valuable, philanthropic and charitable companies in the world. Sony and Nintendo don't do shit for people besides those in their own country, and even then it's pretty lackluster.
True.
True, but only because their online gaming is so terrible. What else are people gonna do?

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't go so far as to say that. A lot of people fell off the Sony bandwagon after the hack. My father wouldn't even consider a PS4 for the sole reason that he doesn't trust the PSN infrastructure. And we didn't even own a PS3!
(We considered it, but after that he wanted nothing to do with it)
And I can think of many people that turned their backs on Sony and never looked back after the hack happened.

I would say the Playstation division has become a better company in recent years after $599 and the PSN hack. They've learnt from their mistakes and winning people over in a number of ways. The content Sony are willing to greenlight is fantastic in terms of quality and diversity regarding their exclusive gaems, PS+ have given great values, the controller redesign, the desire to make their consoles more 'open',the PS4 a symbolism of Sony learning from their mistakes. And with guys like Yoshida and Boyles running things, I feel like they know what they want to do and the evidence is pointing towards that.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say the Playstation division has become a better company in recent years after $599 and the PSN hack. They've learnt from their mistakes and winning people over in a number of ways. The content Sony are willing to greenlight is fantastic in terms of quality and diversity regarding their exclusive gaems, PS+ have given great values, the controller redesign, the desire to make their consoles more 'open',the PS4 a symbolism of Sony learning from their mistakes. And with guys like Yoshida and Boyles running things, I feel like they know what they want to do and the evidence is pointing towards that.

I can see why Valve likes them so much. They pretty much want to do what they've done on PC in the console market. True pioneers.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
While the Playstation division certainly seems to have improved quite a bit over the early-PS3 era, I wouldn't say that they are 100% back on track just yet. They still managed to release a system that's absolutely dead on the market and completely ignored by their own devs, the Vita and seem dead-set on sticking with those overpriced proprietary memory cards. The PS4 does look to be a solid system (nice price, specs are good, etc.) but I maintain that it's too early to say whether they've truly changed from their old ways.

I can see why Valve likes them so much. They pretty much want to do what they've done on PC in the console market. True pioneers.
http://www.destructoid.com/breaking-valve-still-hates-the-ps3--138312.phtml
http://kotaku.com/5544168/valve-ps3-is-like-a-gamecube
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/11/valves-gabe-newell-says-ps3-a-waste-of-time/

Valve was forced to rescind their earlier statements because they were releasing Portal 2 on the PS3 (ignoring one of the biggest platforms on the market would be dumb). Not some love-fest.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Too bad Hitler didn't make camps for immigrants oh wait
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Isn't the latest method for slim like self right?
    Like a 1 wire mod?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still two wire with resistor if you don't count the 7 wire pc probes cause hardware likes a good probing
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    2 wires left on motherboard, 7 temp soldered to a flasher, then removed after flashed
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Technically don't even have to remove it could just keep it on
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't really mess with hard mods due to neuro issues
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That you'll only see once +2