Nintendo Labo announced

Nintendo has revealed the announcement they were teasing for today, and at 10 PM GMT, the Nintendo Labo was revealed to the public. Focusing on three key tenets of "make, play, and discover", the Nintendo Labo are "Toy-Cons" that consist of cardboard and can be crafted together to create things such as a little piano, house, fishing rod, and more. The Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons are then placed within them, for interactivity. To start, there will be two kits, one that's a variety kit which includes a fishing rod, 2 cars, a house, a motorbike handlebar, and a piano. The second, is a "robotic backpack suit". The products will cost $69.99 or $79.99 respectively.

Both sets will release on April 20, 2018, and Nintendo will be holding hands-on events to demo the Nintendo Labo in New York City from Feb. 2-3, and in San Francisco from Mar. 2-4. If you're interested, you can register for that here. The Labo will require folding the cardboard in order to make it form into the object you want, by following the guidlines provided in the box. Some of the creations will also have minigames that utilize the Joy-Cons, where you use the rumbling from the controller in order to know when to reel in the fishing pole. Also shown was a piano, which plays music when the cardboard keys are pressed.

zxUpDrE.png

vJcQ17Z.png

Get ready to Make, Play and Discover with Nintendo Labo! Nintendo Labo is a new line of interactive build-and-play experiences that combine DIY creations with the magic of Nintendo Switch. Available on April 20, 2018.

:arrow: Official Site

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who the fuck justifies $80 for this non-sense?

A game that is worth $20 and get this... CARDBOARD

This would've been a perfect time to announce Animal Crossing

No it wasn't... Because they didn't fucking want to.

we need to defend it more Nintendo can't do anything wrong they're like a small baby

Maybe if you whiny ass bitches didn't act like something not directed at you somehow threatened your masculinity or adulthood..

I mean.. you must have been crying for months after the PS3 had the Harry Potter book.

Last edited by Tigran,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

OctolingRift

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it wasn't... Because they didn't fucking want to.

Maybe if you whiny ass bitches didn't act like something not directed at you somehow threatened your masculinity or adulthood..

I mean.. you must have been crying for months after the PS3 had the Harry Potter book.
You know you're a Nintendo fanboy when you're defending overpriced cardboard.

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kinda disappointing to see that this was what project giant robot was turned into tbh (The labo robot kit looks eerily similar to project giant robot so im assuming its using that concept), and then priced at 80 bucks?

Last edited by Eddypikachu,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I mean, it's a game console. It plays games. :/
What's your point? Children are a huge target for multimedia, there's no reason why they shouldn't watch the Lego Movie after playing a Lego game during their commute. The whole idea of smart devices is convergence - functions of multiple devices come together to create a more desirable device. Both YouTube and Netflix use web-based interfaces, just opening up the browser which is *already on the system* would enable those companies to provide services on the Switch. Y'know what's the most enjoyable thing to me on the Xbox One? Being able to put my favourite podcast in the sidebar as I play a game, and I'm often described as a Sony fanboy. There's a good reason why people own smartphones as opposed to flip phones - a smartphone combines the functionality of an PDA, a phone, a multimedia player, a PNA, a camera and, to a certain extent, a games console. The Switch is a tablet, let's not pretend that it isn't. It runs on tablet hardware, it has the tablets form factor, and all that is for a reason - it is set to compete for the young audience which, until now, was playing Candy Crush on iPads, and you see those kids everywhere you go. There's no reason why Nintendo wouldn't want the device to do more than it does, much like other consoles do, and I hear that complaint from Switch owners themselves - the cry is loud and clear. If it wasn't, people wouldn't go through the trouble of tinkering their way into the Switch browser awkwardly. Even on my 3DS I often have a Web page in the background, it's handy to have a guide when playing some games, in my case it's Monster Hunter. I can't overstate how important it is for a console to not just play video games, but to cover all multimedia needs a customer might have. If it doesn't, there are many competing devices that do.

Reactions: Deleted User

death360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since they are using Unity and Unreal.. I seriously doubt it. And again, this was probably developed along WITH the switch and just released this year after the first year.

Why? Does it threaten your masculinity or something?

The fanboyism is strong with this one jk, jk how would you justify paying $70 to $80 bucks for a piece of cardboard. Heck I wouldn't even pay that for a so called AAA titled game maybe and only from a franchise that I know its not going to disappoint me.

OctolingRift

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's your point? Children are a huge target for multimedia, there's no reason why they shouldn't watch the Lego Movie after playing a Lego game during their commute. The whole idea of smart devices is convergence - functions of multiple devices come together to create a more desirable device. Both YouTube and Netflix use web-based interfaces, just opening up the browser which is *already on the system* would enable those companies to provide services on the Switch. Y'know what's the most enjoyable thing to me on the Xbox One? Being able to put my favourite podcast in the sidebar as I play a game, and I'm often described as a Sony fanboy. There's a good reason why people own smartphones as opposed to flip phones - a smartphone combines the functionality of an PDA, a phone, a multimedia player, a PNA, a camera and, to a certain extent, a games console. The Switch is a tablet, let's not pretend that it isn't. It runs on tablet hardware, it has the tablets form factor, and all that is for a reason - it is set to compete for the young audience which, until now, was playing Candy Crush on iPads, and you see those kids everywhere you go. There's no reason why Nintendo wouldn't want the device to do more than it does, much like other consoles do, and I hear that complaint from Switch owners themselves - the cry is loud and clear. If it wasn't, people wouldn't go through the trouble of tinkering their way into the Switch browser awkwardly. Even on my 3DS I often have a Web page in the background, it's handy to have a guide when playing some games, in my case it's Monster Hunter. I can't overstate how important it is for a console to not just play video games, but to cover all multimedia needs a customer might have. If it doesn't, there are many competing devices that do.
Pretty sure children now a days are playing GTA or CoD on their Xbox not giving a damn about Nintendo.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It plays games

...you know, the ACTUAL function of a console because every person and their dog owns other devices that do all of the shit you just listed, and probably better.
Is that why you carry around a camera everywhere you go? No, your smartphone takes the pictures - why is that? People aren't camels - if the device can (and already does, just in an inaccessible way) do something then from the perspective of the consumer it bloody well should - it's better value for money. Console wars were fought over multimedia features, and continue to be fought today. The lack of multimedia support at launch and the continued lack of (admittedly obsolete) CD-ROM and DLNA Streaming support caused a huge fuss, forcing the company to release a statement on the matter, followed shortly by a multimedia player which helped resolve some of the concerns via USB media support.
Pretty sure children now a days are playing GTA or CoD on their Xbox not giving a damn about Nintendo.
That's another problem the Switch has - no GTA and CoD. You *want* the console to get those mainstream titles, they sell millions upon millions of copies. Doom, Wolfenstein 2 and Elder Scrolls are a good start, but that's just Bethesda - the Switch needs a blessing from other developers as well.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
we need to defend it more Nintendo can't do anything wrong they're like a small baby
The fanboyism is strong with this one jk, jk how would you justify paying $70 to $80 bucks for a piece of cardboard. Heck I wouldn't even pay that for a so called AAA titled game maybe and only from a franchise that I know its not going to disappoint me.

Because it's not just a piece of cardboard..But I don't expect anyone around here to do any fucking research.

https://www.amazon.com/Clever-Paper...6229988&sr=8-10&keywords=cardboard+model+kits

So.. 20$ for 12 pieces. 20$ for 12 pieces. 20$ for the game.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Because it's not just a piece of cardboard..But I don't expect anyone around here to do any fucking research.

https://www.amazon.com/Clever-Paper...6229988&sr=8-10&keywords=cardboard+model+kits

So.. 20$ for 12 pieces. 20$ for 12 pieces. 20$ for the game.
how is that amazon link at ALL relevant?

Edit: Hell you even picked one of the more expensive ones.
https://www.amazon.com/Princess-Cas...16248455&sr=8-1&keywords=cardboard+model+kits

https://www.amazon.com/Clever-Paper...16248455&sr=8-3&keywords=cardboard+model+kits

https://www.amazon.com/Clever-Paper...16248455&sr=8-4&keywords=cardboard+model+kits

and these are things you don't actively play with. They stand somewhere looking pretty. The cardboard nintendo uses is going to have hinges and moving parts. They're not going to last long.

Last edited by dimmidice,
Reactions: death360

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It plays games

...you know, the ACTUAL function of a console because every person and their dog owns other devices that do all of the shit you just listed, and probably better.

It's not just multimedia. Cloud saves for example are related to games, so are trophies.
And still no news of Virtual Console.

You can defend the switch OS up to a point. But it's objectively still missing some important features.

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why? It's the price of fucking cardboard that everyone is bitching about.
Except that set you linked us uses a shit ton of colored ink, and it even says it comes with figures of townspeople and soldiers, both of these raise up the price so the switch cardboard shouldnt be as expensive as that set since it doesnt come with some figures and has very minimal colors in them

Reactions: HaloEffect17

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Why? It's the price of fucking cardboard that everyone is bitching about.
Do you seriously not see how it makes no sense? They're different kinds of cardboard even. It's like comparing the price of a 1300 page novel to a childrens coloring book. They're both paper right?

Except that set you linked us uses a shit ton of colored ink, and it even says it comes with figures of townspeople and soldiers, both of these raise up the price so the switch cardboard shouldnt be as expensive as that set since it doesnt come with some figures and has very minimal colors in them
Eh, on the other hand the Labo cardboard seems a lot thicker and it comes with rubberbands and bits of rope and such too. the comparison to the model set just makes no sense either way you look at it.

Edit: I just realized. Usually when a company makes a product aimed at children they make it extra strong. Nintendo makes a product aimed at children and makes it out of cardboard. They never can do anything normally can they? It's their biggest strength and biggest weakness.

Last edited by dimmidice,
D

Deleted User

people are getting way to pissy over this when nintendo announced they were making an announcement they specifically said the target audience is KIDS and now a bunch of adults are crying about it all over the internet also people are saying its over priced and again this is wrong you get the standard 60 dollars for the software and then an additonal 10-20 dollars for each SET they include several carboard things to make not just one people need to seriously chill if your an adult and it doesnt appeal to you then fine but quit complaining and trying to ruin it for all the kids out there that are excited about this

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you @BigOnYa ??