Nintendo Switch Becomes the Fastest-Selling Home Video Game System of All Time

^5AA601C487ABCD9694BB7779AA1274446C8D141B7EE3D0C1A4^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

in the U.S.

Nintendo Switch has become the fastest-selling home video game system in U.S. history. The home console that players can take wherever they go launched March 3, 2017, and in 10 months has sold more than 4.8 million units in the United States, according to Nintendo’s internal sales figures. That’s the highest total for the first 10 months of any home video game system in U.S. history, surpassing Nintendo’s own Wii system, which was the previous record holder with more than 4 million units sold during the same timeframe.

Here's Nintendo:

A strong library of games continues to fuel momentum for Nintendo Switch. In the U.S., more than 60 percent of Nintendo Switch owners have Super Mario Odyssey, and over 55 percent own The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Not only are these games system-sellers, but they’re also two of the highest-rated games in history.

“Fans across the country have experienced the joy of playing their favorite games at home or on the go,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America’s President and COO. “Now that many more people have received Nintendo Switch systems for the holidays, we look forward to bringing them fun new surprises in 2018 and beyond.”

A strong library of games continues to fuel momentum for Nintendo Switch. In the U.S., more than 60 percent of Nintendo Switch owners have Super Mario Odyssey, and over 55 percent own The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Not only are these games system-sellers, but they’re also two of the highest-rated games in history. Nintendo Switch owners also possess the fun, competitive games Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 at rates of more than 50 percent and 20 percent, respectively.

More than 300 games created by third-party developers have already launched for Nintendo Switch. These include big-name brands like FIFA 18 from Electronic Arts, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle and Just Dance 2018 from Ubisoft, Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition from Mojang, L.A. Noire from Rockstar Games, NBA 2K18 from 2K Games, Sonic Mania from SEGA, Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers from Capcom, Rocket League from Psyonix and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and DOOM from Bethesda. Nintendo Switch has also received strong support from indie developers, with a steady stream of favorites like SteamWorld Dig 2 from Image & Form, Golf Story from Sidebar Games, Overcooked Special Edition from Team17 Digital Ltd and Stardew Valley from Chucklefish LTD.

This year, Nintendo Switch owners can look forward to Nintendo-published games like Kirby Star Allies, Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2 and a new game starring Yoshi. Fans can also expect continued support from major publishers such as EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Capcom, SEGA, Take 2 and Bethesda, plus a growing catalog of quality content from indie developers.

:arrow:Source: GBAtemp Inbox

oxitran

Trophies
XP
Country
Except for the Switch, where you can pop in a cartridge and just play the damn game

Until the game crashes, wants an update, needs to download extra data, etc. It's still pretty painless, but its geting more and more painful with each passing year.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

...do you realize this comparison doesn't make any sense?

Some good trolling :)

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I just don't get it? I have always loved Nintendo since I was a kid, but the only game the switch has that is worth anything at the moment is Mario Odyssey. Breath of the Wild can be had on the Wii U. The line up of games this article claims will keep the Switch's momentum going are a bunch of games that people already own on the PS3. Until Nintendo starts to make some original, exclusive content for the switch, I don't see the justification in buying it. Otherwise it's game library is 95% old ports, and crappy 3rd party, small studio games. Maybe it's the allure of playing all these remake/old port games on the go?? I don't care to game while I'm driving, or doing anything else on the go, so this isn't a selling point for me either. Who is actually buying this thing when it's entire library is pretty much made up of games that most people already have on an older generation console?

Last edited by xpoverzion,
Reactions: invaderyoyo

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Now, what are those trash talking Xbox and Playstation Fanboys gonna say about me liking Nintendo now?

Their argument isn't gonna change... "Switch haz no gaems Lolololol"

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Until the game crashes, wants an update, needs to download extra data, etc. It's still pretty painless, but its geting more and more painful with each passing year.
Crashes almost virtually never happen on the Switch. I've played on it consistently since July and have yet to experience one. Dropped online connections on the other hand...

And as for updates/extra data, yeah, it can be a little annoying, but only so much as downloading/updating PC games

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Crashes almost virtually never happen on the Switch. I've played on it consistently since July and have yet to experience one. Dropped online connections on the other hand...

And as for updates/extra data, yeah, it can be a little annoying, but only so much as downloading/updating PC games
I don't think people understand what a crash means..

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I just don't get it? I have always loved Nintendo since I was a kid, but the only game the switch has that is worth anything at the moment is Mario Odyssey. Breath of the Wild can be had on the Wii U. The line up of games this article claims will keep the Switch's momentum going are a bunch of games that people already own on the PS3. Until Nintendo starts to make some original, exclusive content for the switch, I don't see the justification in buying it. Otherwise it's game library is 95% old ports, and crappy 3rd party, small studio games.
you do realize wiiu sold like crap 99% of the gamers never had a wiiu so every wiiu game is brand new...

the point of doing wiiu prots is for everyone that never had a wiiu and that is preety much everyone lol, the wiiu will be outsold by the switch in maybe a year lol.So if you have a wiiu fine but if ou dont they are brand new great games...

also switch has xenoblade chronicles 2 and splatoon 2 also, and how the hell do you disconsidere metroid prime 4 and pokemon coming to switch next year? those 2 are highly wanted games, pokemon alone can sell consoles, heck i had a portable console since the gbc to 3ds and i preety much only have pokemon games for everything with a very few exceptions on each system lol.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Its haz no cods... Nut evun battlefield fur bruh!

Shows copy of Doom 2016 running perfectly...

Oh... Dats purrty coolz

Please don't say perfectly... I won't deny it runs better than expected.. But come on.

oxitran

Trophies
XP
Country

It's all compared to what! We got spoiled in the old days.

As for crashes, each console is different, just like the 3DS consoles with widely varying boot times for no apparent reason. You might get a good one, and you might get a bad one. It might be that most Switches never crash, or the old adage that a broken clock is still right twice a day.

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
you do realize wiiu sold like crap 99% of the gamers never had a wiiu so every wiiu game is brand new...

the point of doing wiiu prots is for everyone that never had a wiiu and that is preety much everyone lol, the wiiu will be outsold by the switch in maybe a year lol.So if you have a wiiu fine but if ou dont they are brand new great games...

also switch has xenoblade chronicles 2 and splatoon 2 also, and how the hell do you disconsidere metroid prime 4 and pokemon coming to switch next year? those 2 are highly wanted games, pokemon alone can sell consoles, heck i had a portable console since the gbc to 3ds and i preety much only have pokemon games for everything with a very few exceptions on each system lol.
Yeah, I don't get why hardly anybody bought the Wii U. Turns out it was the best console Nintendo ever made. With a few tweaks, it can play just about every game Nintendo has ever made over the past 30 years. Ok, so you added two more games to the Switches Library. Xenoblade, and splatoon. Metroid Prime 4 is probably still at least another year away. So there are about 5 games worth buying for the switch. Meanwhile the Wii U, and PS3 can play 1000's of games that span a 20-30 year time frame. Still can't understand the success of the switch at this point.

Last edited by xpoverzion,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Meta what's @Psionic Roshambo onlyfans password