Nintendo Switch Becomes the Fastest-Selling Home Video Game System of All Time

^5AA601C487ABCD9694BB7779AA1274446C8D141B7EE3D0C1A4^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

in the U.S.

Nintendo Switch has become the fastest-selling home video game system in U.S. history. The home console that players can take wherever they go launched March 3, 2017, and in 10 months has sold more than 4.8 million units in the United States, according to Nintendo’s internal sales figures. That’s the highest total for the first 10 months of any home video game system in U.S. history, surpassing Nintendo’s own Wii system, which was the previous record holder with more than 4 million units sold during the same timeframe.

Here's Nintendo:

A strong library of games continues to fuel momentum for Nintendo Switch. In the U.S., more than 60 percent of Nintendo Switch owners have Super Mario Odyssey, and over 55 percent own The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Not only are these games system-sellers, but they’re also two of the highest-rated games in history.

“Fans across the country have experienced the joy of playing their favorite games at home or on the go,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America’s President and COO. “Now that many more people have received Nintendo Switch systems for the holidays, we look forward to bringing them fun new surprises in 2018 and beyond.”

A strong library of games continues to fuel momentum for Nintendo Switch. In the U.S., more than 60 percent of Nintendo Switch owners have Super Mario Odyssey, and over 55 percent own The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Not only are these games system-sellers, but they’re also two of the highest-rated games in history. Nintendo Switch owners also possess the fun, competitive games Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 at rates of more than 50 percent and 20 percent, respectively.

More than 300 games created by third-party developers have already launched for Nintendo Switch. These include big-name brands like FIFA 18 from Electronic Arts, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle and Just Dance 2018 from Ubisoft, Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition from Mojang, L.A. Noire from Rockstar Games, NBA 2K18 from 2K Games, Sonic Mania from SEGA, Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers from Capcom, Rocket League from Psyonix and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and DOOM from Bethesda. Nintendo Switch has also received strong support from indie developers, with a steady stream of favorites like SteamWorld Dig 2 from Image & Form, Golf Story from Sidebar Games, Overcooked Special Edition from Team17 Digital Ltd and Stardew Valley from Chucklefish LTD.

This year, Nintendo Switch owners can look forward to Nintendo-published games like Kirby Star Allies, Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2 and a new game starring Yoshi. Fans can also expect continued support from major publishers such as EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Capcom, SEGA, Take 2 and Bethesda, plus a growing catalog of quality content from indie developers.

:arrow:Source: GBAtemp Inbox

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I don't get why hardly anybody bought the Wii U. Turns out it was the best console Nintendo ever made. With a few tweaks, it can play just about every game Nintendo has ever made over the past 30 years.
Okay. So unofficial modification aside.. What exactly does the Wii U offer? There were a few games that looked alright.. But the hardware design was unbearable.

Reactions: Dr.Hacknik

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, I don't get why hardly anybody bought the Wii U. Turns out it was the best console Nintendo ever made. With a few tweaks, it can play just about every game Nintendo has ever made over the past 30 years.
it was basicaly the marketing, every casual gamer had no idea the wiiu was a console, everyone only tough about being some sort of wii pheriferal lol, the name and cover of the package didint help either, i got a wiiu and i dont regret it one bit, playing gc,wii,wiiu games on a single console with nes,snes and somewhat decent n64 emulator is amazing to me, same way i love my phat ps3 better than my ps4 because phat ps3 can play ps1,ps2,ps3, its a shame sony dropped backwards compat :S

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
Okay. So unofficial modification aside.. What exactly does the Wii U offer? There were a few games that looked alright.. But the hardware design was unbearable.
It was a stepping stone to the HD world? At least it had some interesting ideas. :/

Reactions: Kioku

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Yeah, without the "tweaks" I wouldn't see the Wii U as anything special. But with the tweaks, and a Pro Controller.... Best Console Nintendo has made to date by far.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, without the "tweaks" I wouldn't see the Wii U as anything special. But with the tweaks, and a Pro Controller.... Best Console Nintendo has made to date by far.
if nintendo wanted they could have made a gc virtual console on wiiu and everything, but i guess they saw it was failling and moved on.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It was a stepping stone to the HD world? At least it had some interesting ideas. :/

Everything sounded great on paper.. Bringing Nintendo into the HD world.. Dual screen Home console gaming.. The ability to play the game without a TV.. vWii support.. The execution and design was terrible...

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
Opinions are opinions. But the Wii U was pathetic in marketing. The hardware wasn't horrible but not amazing. The fact it was a Wii and a Wii U at the same time though; is awesome.

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
it was basicaly the marketing, every casual gamer had no idea the wiiu was a console, everyone only tough about being some sort of wii pheriferal lol, the name and cover of the package didint help either, i got a wiiu and i dont regret it one bit, playing gc,wii,wiiu games on a single console with nes,snes and somewhat decent n64 emulator is amazing to me, same way i love my phat ps3 better than my ps4 because phat ps3 can play ps1,ps2,ps3, its a shame sony dropped backwards compat :S
Pedro702 nails it on the head. Both the Wii U, and PS3 are two of the best consoles ever made given their backwards compatibility, and massive game libraries. With these two consoles, you can play NES, SNES, some N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, BOTW, PS3, PS2, PS1, etc.. With the Switch, you can play about 5 games.

oxitran

Trophies
XP
Country
ಠ_ರೃ
I'm pretty classy if I say so myself. I am a man of culture after all.

Classy people don't have to tell you they are classy, but I think that's why you are telling me :D you dig

If you really were you wouldnt have to tell me :D

And PSP with rebug.

This Super Mario is great, "please turn on Wii U Gamepad", no thanks "F**k you turn it on", okay bye bye Ninty. It has some good points, some good games, but really dropped the ball alot.

Last edited by oxitran,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Pedro702 nails it on the head. Both the Wii U, and PS3 are two of the best consoles ever made given their backwards compatibility, and massive game libraries. With these two consoles, you can play NES, SNES, some N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, BOTW, PS3, PS2, PS1, etc.. With the Switch, you can play about 5 games.
Better marketing and some tweaking to the tablet and I would have bought one. I just don't like how it reminds me of a leap pad...

Reactions: oxitran

oxitran

Trophies
XP
Country
Better marketing and some tweaking to the tablet and I would have bought one. I just don't like how it reminds me of a leap pad...

It has a nifty compartment on the back with space on either side of the battery for your skittles. Oh, but wait the damn thing needs to stay within 10 feet of the console. And only lasts 3 hours. But at least I got my skittles.

Seriously, just shove a bigger battery in there and chop as much bulk off as possible :D

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Well, I have to admit that I stepped away from the console gaming market for about 15 years, in favor of PC gaming. When I came back to consoles recently, and did a bit of research, it was clear that the Wii U, and PS3 were the two consoles to get. Entirely because of what you can do with them with just a few "tweaks." I will admit that if I was looking for a new console back in 2012, the Wii U would not have appealed much to me, and even though the PS3 had been around for awhile, the difficulty of it's "tweaks" at the time would have been a deterrent. Probably would have eventually bought a PS4, or waited for Nintendo's next gen console. Guess my timing was good for getting back into consoles. For the price of a switch, I purchased a Wii U, and PS3 and have been really enjoying these two consoles. Someday, I will probably purchase a switch, or PS4, but given what the Wii U, and PS3 offer, it's impossible to justify dumping hundreds into these newer gen consoles with such few games available for them. The PS4 maybe, but the Switch, not a chance, at least for now.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Well, I have to admit that I stepped away from the console gaming market for about 15 years, in favor of PC gaming. When I came back to consoles recently, and did a bit of research, it was clear that the Wii U, and PS3 were the two consoles to get. Entirely because of what you can do with them with just a few "tweaks." I will admit that if I was looking for a new console back in 2012, the Wii U would not have appealed much to me, and even though the PS3 had been around for awhile, the difficulty of it's "tweaks" at the time would have been a deterrent. Probably would have eventually bought a PS4, or waited for Nintendo's next gen console. Guess my timing was good for getting back into consoles. For the price of a switch, I purchased a Wii U, and PS3 and have been really enjoying these two consoles. Someday, I will probably purchase a switch, or PS4, but given what the Wii U, and PS3 offer, it's impossible to justify dumping hundreds into these newer gen consoles with such few games available for them. The PS4 maybe, but the Switch, not a chance, at least for now.
I don't think I could ever justify buying a WII U for the back log of Nintendo games... I get ALL of them on my PC.

oxitran

Trophies
XP
Country

Just wait for the PS5 and you can play all the PS4 games in their definitive edition. Microsoft really nailed things down well. Buy the game once, play it on any console and your PC too. Plus the xbox game pass, it’s actually pretty nice what can happen to a company who's ass is up against the wall.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
marketing marketing marketing... people say this a lot and every time it sounds even more silly than before.
If marketing could have saved it then Nintendo would have. They are not that stupid as to tank a long term project, one of their only ones and theoretically primary revenue streams at that, for the sake of a bit of marketing. They can do good marketing as they did it for the wii.

The underpowered hardware, the crappy software (so much middleware skipped it), the piss poor online, as well as being underpowered the annoyances when it came to coding for it (the handful of wii processors stapled together was not great design), the awful business relations (talk from indies and what we heard of third parties alike made it seem like Nintendo still thought they were the big swinging dick of the NES and SNES days, never mind actually working to really make it worth their while) and more besides all have a lot to answer for before I look at the marketing.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
marketing marketing marketing... people say this a lot and every time it sounds even more silly than before.
If marketing could have saved it then Nintendo would have. They are not that stupid as to tank a long term project, one of their only ones and theoretically primary revenue streams at that, for the sake of a bit of marketing. They can do good marketing as they did it for the wii.
How many Wii U commercials have you ever seen, other than Splatoon and the Campbell's crossover?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

The underpowered hardware, the crappy software (so much middleware skipped it), the piss poor online, as well as being underpowered the annoyances when it came to coding for it (the handful of wii processors stapled together was not great design), the awful business relations (talk from indies and what we heard of third parties alike made it seem like Nintendo still thought they were the big swinging dick of the NES and SNES days, never mind actually working to really make it worth their while) and more besides all have a lot to answer for before I look at the marketing.
I'm wondering when Nintendo will come out of this "weak hardware" rut. It's generally worked for them before.. But after the Wii U you'd figure they would give us something more. I love my Switch, but it's still at the bottom of the list..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: im pretty stupid and my wii u isn't working right after installing sdusb