Hacking Nintendo Switch bootrom dumped.

Keizel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devs: *do something major*
Users: "this doesn't immediately benefit me? BOOORING let me know when I get muh free gaems"

I don't want free games, I want homebrew. But this "updates of scene" frequently don't be useful for the normal user. I prefer a news about "new exploit released for load Homebrew on NS".

This news is "interesting" but of this to the load homebrew... Maybe years. This thread create "hope" of "soon hacking" when this don't happen soon.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't want free games, I want homebrew. But this "updates of scene" frequently don't be useful for the normal user. I prefer a news about "new exploit released for load Homebrew on NS".

This news is "interesting" but of this to the load homebrew... Maybe years. This thread create "hope" of "soon hacking" when this don't happen soon.

I still find this kind if news interesting, the only time I find it annoying is when they have a usable exploit but tell us they wont release it.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal

You know, in this "scene", there are people who are interested in it just because, and their interest runs deeper than just the ready and easy to use homebrew applications that may come later. These news are important for those people.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nothing said anything was coming soon. It literally only said bootrom was dumped.
And this is my problem with the community right now. No matter what people are upset. If you go dark with development people are upset that they are getting no news (remember the month or so before ntrboot? ). But if they give updates on progress people are still upset because they get them excited about future hacks but can't be patient for them to be released when they are ready instead of when they are buggy. No matter what people are mad at devs

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
For anybody bitching about this or any other similar, non-release news....
How about you waste your free time for a couple of years at a time over something you'll offer to countless people for free??
Or maybe donate to such developers so they could actually "develop?"

Besides, if you find this type of news bothersome, you're completely free not to waste more of your precious and highly valued time over it.

Also, you can't count to 10 without starting with zero and up from there.
This may very well be a 3 or 4 on this example but it's important progress nonetheless.

Last edited by Super.Nova,

SwitchNOW

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Homebrew is coming

winter-is-coming-gif.gif

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In plain english can someone translate? This means start working on a hack to load stuff before the normal OS boots or..?

It means access to looking for potential vulnerabilities in the bootrom of the Tegra, and those will have to be exploitable in a useful fashion when/if found. This is going to be shift more into nVidia's work than it is Nintendo. (This won't be publicly shared for some time, though.)

No I'm pretty sure that's not what it is.

Depending on what can be found, it may give us a very early access point into the system's startup. It will also reveal hidden keys in the sequence (though they are likely to be console specific and encrypted, so we'd need the algo) that can be used to remove the need for a Switch for dumps (kind of pointless at this point). It will potentially allow us to rip out a lot of the older crypto and start poking at that as well. But this will all depend on what can be found and, for the time being at least, this won't be public.

(This is why having the 1.0.0/3.0.0 access is so important, because getting to this point on a "stable" Switch is going to remain out of reach.)

This is a... "neat, good work" sort of expected step given where we were a few weeks ago. Dumping things is the easy part! (Kernel's been dumped for months!)

A bit too quick, the 3ds took 4-5 years to get the bootrom, or was it actually kept private :unsure: ?

Nah, it was (as this will be) kept private.

Last edited by V-Temp,
Reactions: peteruk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn