Hacking Nintendo Switch bootrom dumped.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
For anybody bitching about this or any other similar, non-release news....
How about you waste your free time for a couple of years at a time over something you'll offer to countless people for free??
Or maybe donate to such developers so they could actually "develop?"

Besides, if you find this type of news bothersome, you're completely free not to waste more of your precious and highly valued time over it.

Also, you can't count to 10 without starting with zero and up from there.
This may very well be a 3 or 4 on this example but it's important progress nonetheless.

very well put , well said my dude.
we should give the devs. more credit..

(btw. funny location edit ,suppression.. XD)

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
For anybody bitching about this or any other similar, non-release news....
How about you waste your free time for a couple of years at a time over something you'll offer to countless people for free??
Or maybe donate to such developers so they could actually "develop?"

Besides, if you find this type of news bothersome, you're completely free not to waste more of your precious and highly valued time over it.

Also, you can't count to 10 without starting with zero and up from there.
This may very well be a 3 or 4 on this example but it's important progress nonetheless.
You seem to misunderstand that the relationship between developers and the masses is symbiotic. This kind of work is for the developer and them alone. It looks great on a resume, and the byproduct of that is the kiddies get their toys at some point. My point is that they don't care about the whining, and white knighting for them is redundant. The developer benefits way more than the people you're trying to ward off.

Last edited by Joom,

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You seem to misunderstand that the relationship between developers and the masses is symbiotic. This kind of work is for the developer and them alone. It looks great on a resume, and the byproduct of that is the kiddies get their toys at some point. My point is that they don't care about the whining, and white knighting for them is redundant. The developer benefits way more than the people you're trying to ward off.

With the way a lot of the Switch checks are burned in at the factory (or updates later) and cuniq, a lot of the work the scene does may never be all that useful for the kiddies. At least not in the way they were used to or expecting from from the days of the WiiU/3DS... unless they want to get blacklisted permanently.

The switch will be a great(!) emulator for all sorts of older software, it will be a great brick for new stuff/online.

These updates are great for those who want to poke, but a lot of posters are hoping for things they may never have and every update that isn't that or every time they are reminded that 3.0.1+ is closed off along with its software, the more angry some of them become because they were spoiled by expectations from the 3DS/WiiU.

Last edited by V-Temp,

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Based on that comment, are you ruling out completely discoveries working on newer firmwares Or is it simply a case of it just being too early to know atm ?

The problem is that these low-level breaks still need a high-level 'open-door' so to speak. We're able to get deep into the system because lower firmware (1.0.0 especially, though now very limited) are so compromised that they basically have a revolving door. This is on the same sort of stage as "we have a kernel dump". Its great!... but we need to find things that are useful in it to make it actually useful. The kernel dump is really the most important achievement but its also months old, because it means we can find potential compromises that run upward (though can still be potentially fixed) but you also have to break the walls down around the kernel to get at a lot of things. The bootrom is a big one too (if there's stuff that isn't locked behind TZ, which no doubt will be... like the key encryption algo) but you'd need a way to leverage it on higher fw, otherwise you're still coming in from the top-down and then exploiting what you learn from the bootrom to inject yourself somewhere along the boot.

And, again, the Switch has a lot of hard-burned 'identity' that is console unique. That means Nintendo knows what is trying to access their servers, so they can always blacklist it permanently, and no one is going to give you their cuniq string (which is encrypted with keys in TZ).

Your general user isn't about to hotwire their switch to start injecting compromises through the USB-C, after all.

And, again, remember that daeken remains very negative on higher fw compromises!

Last edited by V-Temp,

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The problem is that these low-level breaks still need a high-level 'open-door' so to speak. We're able to get deep into the system because lower firmware (1.0.0 especially, though now very limited) are so compromised that they basically have a revolving door. This is on the same sort of stage as "we have a kernel dump". Its great!... but we need to find things that are useful in it to make it actually useful. The kernel dump is really the most important achievement but its also months old, because it means we can find potential compromises that run upward (though can still be potentially fixed) but you also have to break the walls down around the kernel to get at a lot of things. The bootrom is a big one too (if there's stuff that isn't locked behind TZ, which no doubt will be... like the key encryption algo) but you'd need a way to leverage it on higher fw, otherwise you're still coming in from the top-down and then exploiting what you learn from the bootrom to inject yourself somewhere along the boot.

And, again, the Switch has a lot of hard-burned 'identity' that is console unique. That means Nintendo knows what is trying to access their servers, so they can always blacklist it permanently, and no one is going to give you their cuniq string (which is encrypted with keys in TZ).

Your general user isn't about to hotwire their switch to start injecting compromises through the USB-C, after all.

And, again, remember that daeken remains very negative on higher fw compromises!

Thanks for replying to me, I really enjoy reading your posts, I find them very interesting and look forward to the future of where all this is leading to, as long as I can hold off updating for Maro Odyssey.

Polopop123

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I hope you're kidding, because if not, change your credit card info immediately.
Im not, he’s a real trustworthy guy. He told me to download something from thisisnotavirus .com and now my computer is running slow but I’d say it’s just a coincidence. I also downloaded RAM from him and he only charged $50 a GB which is hella cheao

XxShalevElimelechxX

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Im not, he’s a real trustworthy guy. He told me to download something from thisisnotavirus .com and now my computer is running slow but I’d say it’s just a coincidence. I also downloaded RAM from him and he only charged $50 a GB which is hella cheao
I've downloaded an 8K monitor and 128GB DDR5 RAM, and let's not talk about my 10EB of storage. :tpi:

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would require the Switch to boot the cart before the NAND, which just isn't a reality in the way the Switch works and goes into cart-ignoring RM before anything else. People really need to stop thinking about the 3DS.
It'd be cool if there was a backdoor like there was on the 3DS. Not to mention the Dreamcast and PS3. It's not beyond the realm of possibility, however very unlikely this time around.

Reactions: BlastedGuy9905

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It'd be cool if there was a backdoor like there was on the 3DS. Not to mention the Dreamcast and PS3. It's not beyond the realm of possibility, however very unlikely this time around.

There's always a backdoor, only Apple has claimed their devices didnt have one (Apple kind of does what they want to an extent). That being said, it doesnt mean the backdoor is easily found.

Last edited by kevin corms,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1