Nintendo Switch firmware 15.0 released, patches a kernel bug

NSwitchTop.png

A new Nintendo Switch firmware update is on the horizon. System software version 15.0.0 is available to download now, bringing only some minor updates that include the traditional stability, and Bluetooth and Ethernet related tweaks. Given the major new firmware number, there's not much to see here, although it does break support with Atmosphere CFW. 15.0 apparently patches a kernel bug, though SciresM is already working on getting Atmosphere working with the new update as soon as possible.

:arrow: Source

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
"patches a kernel bug"...nothing to be worried about for Switch V1 owners I assume??
Fusée Gelée is a bootrom bug and can't be patched via firmware update. Means, cfw can be used on these units forever. Assumed atmosphère will be updated.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Fusée Gelée
That's got to be the dumbest set of words to ever call an exploit. If I'm even pronouncing it right, it sounds like an overpriced perfume. 🙄

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's got to be the dumbest set of words to ever call an exploit. If I'm even pronouncing it right, it sounds like an overpriced perfume. 🙄
Apparently it's french for 'Frozen Rocket' as a joke towards the name of Horizon OS. This is something I've just found out ahaha

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
"patches a kernel bug" is likely to give hope to the multitude who have a patched Switch and don't like the idea of installing a modchip, but the next thing you'll see is them complaining they accidentally updated to 15.0.
Well they can hope in one hand and shit in the other, then we'll see which hand fills faster. Just because kernel bugs exist (HOS has several) doesn't mean you can exploit it. Like this kernel bug patched in 14.0.0, it is a mistake in the kernel's logic (I.e a bug), but it does absolutely nothing useful. Triggering it causes a minor graphical error. https://gist.githubusercontent.com/...202366c8934c88ef251f1e905967040/gistfile1.txt

Here's what Plutoo says about the new bug, it sounds like it could potentially lead to a use after free, but if that was the case I'm sure every single exploit dev in the scene would be shouting from the rooftops telling you not to update

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The name, which means frozen rocket, actually makes sense, in the context of Atmosphere CFW. The rocket never has a chance of reaching the higher layers of atmosphere, like the exosphere. It choked right at the start of it's journey, hence it's frozen. The way I see it, anyway.

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
If my Mariko switch still has firmware 14.1.2 flashed on it and I don't flash 15.0.0, would there be a THEORETICAL chance, no matter how small or tiny, of installing homebrew? If not full homebrew, at least partial?

Reactions: Halbour

LibreNyaa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
librenyaa.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
If my Mariko switch still has firmware 14.1.2 flashed on it and I don't flash 15.0.0, would there be a THEORETICAL chance, no matter how small or tiny, of installing homebrew? If not full homebrew, at least partial?
No way to really tell, always a theoretical chance, and that chance increases for every version you lag behind. I wouldn't hold my breath on it though.

Reactions: BrandonSWITCH

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2: +1