Nintendo Switch firmware 15.0 released, patches a kernel bug

NSwitchTop.png

A new Nintendo Switch firmware update is on the horizon. System software version 15.0.0 is available to download now, bringing only some minor updates that include the traditional stability, and Bluetooth and Ethernet related tweaks. Given the major new firmware number, there's not much to see here, although it does break support with Atmosphere CFW. 15.0 apparently patches a kernel bug, though SciresM is already working on getting Atmosphere working with the new update as soon as possible.

:arrow: Source

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the point is offer something of value to give someone incentive to update. not this rearranging crap or system stability shit. I mean if they hold back for fear of exploits, then there's something really wrong with the company. to care so much about a userbase, who aren't buying your games and factor at a fraction of 1%, as opposed to the 99% who are, is fucked up. someone in upper management needs to be fired. that's just not the way to conduct business.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
although I own around 200 games on the switch, that was mostly due to having not owned either other console, at least that wasn't exploited, and I wasn't about to update. my main now is the ps5, and it's the same for some of my friends as well, like @Hayato213 and @Glyptofane . the switch just seems to offer very little outside of exclusives. however, it's a very stable console no pun intended. the series x, while I love dev mode and retail apps (not having to exploit the system for homebrew), I have a lot of problems with sleep mode, black screens, no sound, etc, like Microsoft are a bunch of idiots. the ps5, while it did have some issues on earlier firmware, seems to be pretty solid now. I've also grown accustomed to trophies after not playing games for about 15 years, since they kinda show your progress through the game without you having to look it up (don't use guides). the only thing the switch has is cloud saving, and while I think they'll have bc with the next system after the switch, there are no guarantees. I like to have some sort of fingerprint, which is why I like trophies. I don't want them for bragging rights, just to know that I've completed everything for the most part. and, you already know about my issues with the series x. I mean quick resume doesn't even work with every game, and the problems I've had are from the normal power off, are unacceptable for a company worth as much as they are. I have no problems with the switch or the ps5. that's my two cents.
Post automatically merged:

and, mind you, having to shell out the same for a gimped switch version as opposed to a ps4 or even ps5 version, which in every case but the last of us has been the same price, is bull shit. it makes no sense whatsoever. I'm a legit user, and I must say I'm very disappointed in Nintendo, more so than the other two.

Reactions: Hayato213
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Ooh so many updates already on the 15.0 branch. 11 commits so far while 14.0 branch had 41 commits. I honestly will probably wait for 15.1 since it's a pain to update multiple sd cards.

Last edited by fvig2001,

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
That's got to be the dumbest set of words to ever call an exploit. If I'm even pronouncing it right, it sounds like an overpriced perfume. 🙄
I'd probably call any exploit I find something silly but not pretentious sounding like that, y'know? I'd have named it Banner Bomb Rush Blush or something, both as a funny Wii reference and Splatoon reference. Or maybe something relating to how it relies on the RCM, and being tethered to a PC? Or considering how you "inject" payloads, it could've had a drug/needle related name? Like maybe NotMedicine™? (reference to a running gag in many gmod vids)

Reactions: Jayro

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If my Mariko switch still has firmware 14.1.2 flashed on it and I don't flash 15.0.0, would there be a THEORETICAL chance, no matter how small or tiny, of installing homebrew? If not full homebrew, at least partial?
If this kernal bug would allow homebrew on mariko then you will hear about it pretty soon.

If you don't update for a while then you haven't lost anything really, so sure wait.
Post automatically merged:

That's got to be the dumbest set of words to ever call an exploit. If I'm even pronouncing it right, it sounds like an overpriced perfume. 🙄
Frozen Rocket.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: ber71

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd probably call any exploit I find something silly but not pretentious sounding like that, y'know? I'd have named it Banner Bomb Rush Blush or something, both as a funny Wii reference and Splatoon reference. Or maybe something relating to how it relies on the RCM, and being tethered to a PC? Or considering how you "inject" payloads, it could've had a drug/needle related name? Like maybe NotMedicine™? (reference to a running gag in many gmod vids)
(I do love me some Splatoon... 👀)

But yeah, they shoulda just called it Frozen Rocket in plain English then.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(I do love me some Splatoon... 👀)

It's meant to freeze the rocket that want to fly over Japan.

By the way anyone updated yet? Please do post some thanks to Nintendo for their wonderful work that brought joy to so many children and adult alike all around the world.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
It's meant to freeze the rocket that want to fly over Japan.

By the way anyone updated yet? Please do post some thanks to Nintendo for their wonderful work that brought joy to so many children and adult alike all around the world.
I thank them, but they could slip some actual content into some of the updates... Like features. Or sell us themes in the eShop for gold coins.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No worries, 16 will have a name that everyone is going to like, a market search is going to be performed and user feelings surveyed.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only reason it's called fusée gelée is because the two words rhyme and the first word is like the word fuse.

The english translation is meaningless, does it offend you?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-vTRfE_x0