Hacking Nintendont

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick sanity check: is the ZL button on the non-pro classic controller mapped to anything? I could check myself, but the issue is that it wouldn't answer the question of if it's mapped to various "button combo hot key shortcuts" or the like when I don't actually know any of said button combos.

...actually, maybe I should also ask if the upper L button on the classic controller pro is similarly mapped to anything just to make sure (the idea being that Nintendont instead maps the GC_L button to ZL on the classic controller pro, leaving the upper L button in the same sort of "unknown territory" as ZL on the non-pro classic controller)

Could someone please implement Dvorak layout support for USB keyboards?
As a user of Colemak for something like 15 years (and Dvorak for a few years when Colemak hadn't yet been created), I've learned that you really can't rely on anything outside of your own personal computer to support anything other than QWERTY.

I don't know if you're like me but I find that I can pretty seamlessly switch between the two as long as the QWERTY keyboard(s) are either a different physical keyboard, is physically located in a different location, and/or is physically on a different device.

Last edited by Nintendo Maniac,

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any way to get a normal aspect ratio ?
Simple: by using the Wii version.

The Wii version supports classic controllers which means it supports the Wii U gamepad if you absolutely insist on not using wiimote+nunchuck (do note there's a bug in some PAL versions of RE4:Wii that will insist on looking for a nunchuck just to start the game, but this bug doesn't occur with the NTSC version).

...the one exception to this I can think of is if you want to use an actual GameCube controller. While the Wii version does support the GameCube controller, you obviously can't use CameCube controllers with Wii software on anything but the original Wii that has built-in GameCube ports (also, similarly to the PAL bug, a nunchuck or classic controller is required to just start the game even on the NTSC version).

And the Wii version also includes all of the extra content from the PS2 version but with the original GameCube's non-downgraded graphics.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the Wii version got an official digital rerelease on the Wii U eShop as well, so you should be able to just use that directly (again, unless you specifically want to use a GameCube controller).

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Resident Evil 4 is a widescreen game. On the original GameCube release, this meant that it was letterboxed -- black bars on the top and bottom. On the Wii version, if your Wii is set to 4:3 aspect ratio, you'll get the same effect.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Resident Evil 4 is a widescreen game.

Just to clarify, unlike other widescreen GameCube games (e.g. F-Zero GX), RE4 is letterboxed rather than anamorphic. Only anamorphic widescreen is properly handled on the Wii U gamepad.

And, to be clear, all widescreen Wii games use anamorphic*, including RE4 Wii Edition.

*there are some Wii games that use letterboxing if you have your console set to 4:3 non-widescreen mode (e.g. New Super Mario Bros. Wii), but they will then use anamorphic widescreen when your console is set to 16:9 widescreen.

Supassen

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Simple: by using the Wii version.

The Wii version supports classic controllers which means it supports the Wii U gamepad if you absolutely insist on not using wiimote+nunchuck (do note there's a bug in some PAL versions of RE4:Wii that will insist on looking for a nunchuck just to start the game, but this bug doesn't occur with the NTSC version).

...the one exception to this I can think of is if you want to use an actual GameCube controller. While the Wii version does support the GameCube controller, you obviously can't use CameCube controllers with Wii software on anything but the original Wii that has built-in GameCube ports (also, similarly to the PAL bug, a nunchuck or classic controller is required to just start the game even on the NTSC version).

And the Wii version also includes all of the extra content from the PS2 version but with the original GameCube's non-downgraded graphics.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the Wii version got an official digital rerelease on the Wii U eShop as well, so you should be able to just use that directly (again, unless you specifically want to use a GameCube controller).
Thanks for your answer I literally tried everything but didnt get any satisfying result I did try the wii eu version but since it asked for nunchuck (which I dont have) I tried with nintendont
Post automatically merged:

what the hell is wrong with your nintendont settings? why is the image squished? you have random values on height and width?
The settings didnt change much things except the widescreen one but apparently the game dont like that

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did try the wii eu version but since it asked for nunchuck (which I dont have)
Yeah that sounds like the bug I previously mentioned. If you use the US version of RE4:Wii then you won't run into that bug and, even if the US version says it wants the nunchuck, the classic controller will work without issue... unless, of course, you wanted access to another language. :P

Just keep in mind that, by default, the official Wii U rerelease of the Wii version does not map the gamepad to the classic controller and is something exclusive to homebrew stuff.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks for your answer I literally tried everything but didnt get any satisfying result I did try the wii eu version but since it asked for nunchuck (which I dont have) I tried with nintendont

The settings didnt change much things except the widescreen one but apparently the game dont like that
you need to set wiiu widescreen to on for full screen on wiiu

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you need to set wiiu widescreen to on for full screen on wiiu

GC RE4 has built-in letterboxing; think of it like during cutscenes in Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, or GC Metroid Prime, except it's there all the time on GC RE4. No amount of widescreen settings will solve that on the gamepad (though, specifically when using a TV, you might have a "zoom" picture mode on your TV that can work around the issue).

That's why I suggested the Wii version, because it's programmed to eliminate the black bars when the console is set to widescreen (there might be minor underscan for RE4:Wii).

Supassen

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah that sounds like the bug I previously mentioned. If you use the US version of RE4:Wii then you won't run into that bug and, even if the US version says it wants the nunchuck, the classic controller will work without issue... unless, of course, you wanted access to another language. :P

Just keep in mind that that, by default, the official Wii U rerelease of the Wii version does not map the gamepad to the classic controller and is something exclusive to homebrew stuff.
Is there a way I can map the classic controller to the gamepad or the pro controller ?

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! Does anyone have the Wii forwarder?
The first post link is not working anymore (Wii version - made by Badablek.)

Thanks!
You can always use something like USB Loader GX which not only has an official forwarder but even has a bootmii replacement loader to put on an SD card if you want to boot straight into it; at least for GameCube games this will work even if the only softmod you have installed is the Homebrew Channel/bootmii and nothing else (no custom IOS or the like).

Qeality

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone help me restore game save data from my GameCube to WiiU/Nintendont?

I used GCMM on my GameCube to back up game save data in both formats. Raw format option only backs up my entire GC memory card. When I place the save file on my 1TB drive used with USBLoaderGX saves folder and rename it to the 4 letter title ID.raw it shows corrupted when I launch the game and prompts me to reformat. I thought of possibly taking the .gci format individual save file and converting it to a raw file but not sure how to do that. Can anybody help me out or share a current guide?
Thank you.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think only Devolution lets you directly use a raw GCMM dump? For Nintendont I think you first need to import the save (whether individual GCI or raw) via Dolphin's memory card manager and then use the resulting memory card image with Nintendont.

...I think. Don't quote me on this—it's been a while since I tried using the emulated memory card from a dumped physical memory card rather than just continuing to use my real GameCube memory card on my Wii console as-is (I'm much more concerned about bit rot, and a GC memory card from late 2002 should be SLC on a 130+nm transistor manufacturing node allowing for almost unparalleled unpowered flash memory data retention).

Qeality

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think only Devolution lets you directly use a raw GCMM dump? For Nintendont I think you first need to import the save (whether individual GCI or raw) via Dolphin's memory card manager and then use the resulting memory card image with Nintendont.

...I think. Don't quote me on this—it's been a while since I tried using the emulated memory card from a dumped physical memory card rather than just continuing to use my real GameCube memory card on my Wii console as-is (I'm much more concerned about bit rot, and a GC memory card from late 2002 should be SLC on a 130+nm transistor manufacturing node allowing for almost unparalleled unpowered flash memory data retention).
Do you know how I can do that with dolphin? Is there a guide?

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you know how I can do that with dolphin? Is there a guide?
Try this:

However, from the edit at the bottom of the opening post, it sounds like you actually should be able to use a raw memory card dump as-is. I don't suppose the region for your real GC memory card is formatted in is different from the region for the game you're trying to play in Nintendont? This is where I originally ran into this issue because Nintendont wants to format the memory card as the same region as the game, but a real disc as well as Devolution will, for example, save NTSC-J games onto an NTSC-U formatted real GC memory card.

Reactions: Qeality

Qeality

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try this:

However, from the edit at the bottom of the opening post, it sounds like you actually should be able to use a raw memory card dump as-is. I don't suppose the region for your real GC memory card is formatted in is different from the region for the game you're trying to play in Nintendont? This is where I originally ran into this issue because Nintendont wants to format the memory card as the same region as the game, but a real disc as well as Devolution will, for example, save NTSC-J games onto an NTSC-U formatted real GC memory card.
Thank you, I will try this.

The .iso and game cube are both USA.

Try this:

I figured it out. I opened a blank.raw in dolphin and imported a .gci and it loaded right up. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Qeality,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I agree Tears is great. I even played thru it completely twice. I've been hooked on playing thru...