• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

opinions on teaching about lgbtq+ in school

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for my last thoughts: I think politics have played a huge deal in rotting away the relations between heterosexuals and homosexuals.
Politics wants you to think that if you're gay you must vote left, and anyone who votes right is a homophobe. Reality can't be any more different than that, I've met my fair share of right-wing homosexuals and left-wing homophobes and they aren't exactly rare or difficult to find.
While things aren't black and white, trying to 50/50 it, is ridiculous. While they aren't automatically homophobes, they don't get to act surprise when a Republican is once again adding or try to add another anti-"someone or something" law.

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While things aren't black and white, trying to 50/50 it, is ridiculous. While they aren't automatically homophobes, they don't get to act surprise when a Republican is once again adding or try to add another anti-"someone or something" law.
the amount of anti-lgbtq legislation that has been passed is scary, luckily none in my state.

Reactions: mikefor20

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What makes you think I am talking about you?

Besides that, putting things into boxes is human nature, that's how our brains operate. We're pattern seeking by our very nature and combining that with our drive to be social it simply creates the desire to belong to something. The trick is to ensure that people aren't being shoved into a box against their will, but to show people what all boxes exist so they can either pick one they like for themselves, or even make their own. And then invite more people to show up and hang out. It's even okay for people to switch boxes later, whether they don't like it there anymore, just want a change of scenery, or for any other reason.
You're effectively arguing the nihilistic approach that designating things like "finger" is too far, because there's also toes and they're not covered, somehow.

Also, really, "sexuality is weird, people like what they like, or they might not like anything at all", with a bit more fluff is literally inclusive of every single person on the planet, and a great starting point to help give people the vocabulary so they can better explain themselves and understand others. You are for better communication to tear down walls, that will only happen if everyone has the actually effective tools at their disposal to dismantle them. And thoughtful education is the key to that goal.

It's human nature to categorize. Sure. That's because of pack mentality. It was only a few hundred years ago we we're living in the same village all our lives and defending ourselves on a daily basis. At that point a "Us and Them" mentality was beneficial. Those days are gone. The further categorization of people is just a way to divide. It's unnecessary. I agree that facts of sex should be taught. I remember the stupid things kids come up with. Feelings are not fact, often don't make sense and will probably evolve. We're all the same in that we're all different. You don't need to belong. Our Id may disagree but that's just the pack thing again. If we taught to respect and to know we don't need to fit in the box it would prevent all sorts of bullshit. Skin, gender, preferences nobody matches 100%. Those boxes might work for some but most people will settle for category instead of being themselvs just to belong. I think that sucks. Just be ok being you and you win. You don't have to be a letter in the alphabet. It's ridiculous.

Talking about it is good if you make it clear that the boxes are just there for vocabulary purposes and nobody fits them. I don't think most people get it. I think most people fight for the idea they belong to a box. They don't. Nobody does. Unless that box is the Human box. The Kinsey scale is much too narrow. LGBTQIA+ is only partially accurate because of the +. In reality, nobody is the same. You're a unique human. And that's the only constant.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
a trans guy is a ftm(female to male) i think you messed up ur terminology there @tentacleKrill lol this is funny
It was Male to female but I still say he's a dude, doesn't matter. If it was female to male I would say woman. Like I said, some things can't be changed whether we like it or not. Everyone suffers, no one's special
say you never went past primary school biology without saying you never went past primary school biology

you do know... studies like biology/chemistry/physics isn't as simple as 1+1...right?? otherwise we all would be experts and the title of a 'scientist' would be rendered null

you like to boast about biology yet you deny the existence of gender dysphoria (which is a medical thing, not necessarily to be mistaken with the social gender roles which are a separate issue), pathetic but can't expect more from an average moron of the political ghetto
Never said Gender dysphoria isn't a thing, however it is something rare and might be psychological rather than physical so my point stands. There can also be mutations however they're an exception, not the norm. Also, I am not political in any way, I even renounced on voting anymore, I don't even a political alignment. You can say I'm apolitical (I don't even know what the left, the right or even the center is) . Since I'm expressing an opinion I'll let it pass the fact you called me a moron, since everyone sees the world in different way

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what does my age have to do with my sexuality? Are you saying that just because im not over 18 that I was "brainwashed"? your logic is flawed
Post automatically merged:

It was Male to female but I still say he's a dude, doesn't matter. If it was female to male I would say woman. Like I said, some things can't be changed whether we like it or not. Everyone suffers, no one's special

Never said Gender dysphoria isn't a thing, however it is something rare and might be psychological rather than physical so my point stands. There can also be mutations however they're an exception, not the norm. Also, I am not political in any way, I even renounced on voting anymore, I don't even a political alignment. You can say I'm apolitical (I don't even know what the left, the right or even the center is) . Since I'm expressing an opinion I'll let it pass the fact you called me a moron, since everyone sees the world in different way
trans women are women and trans men are men.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
For you, but as a straight person I prefer to have relationships with the oposite sex and not find a surprise when I least expect it(not that it's hard to see if it's a trans or a female). That's why for me, a trans woman is still a man, a trans man is still a woman. Basically, they are how they are born (you and others might not like it but some of us think like this and it's impossible to make us change our minds, that's why you have to accept that you can't change a person's way of thinking, better just move on than keep trying)

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why focus on a specific community? Just teach that in general everyone can be different?
That's what I'm saying. Unique humans.
That's fine but not really fact. I don't disregard it. I'll call you what you want. No skin off my back. But, fact is, women are women and trans women are trans women. Same for the men. I won't add cis to anyone. Cis is offensive. These words have been here forever. You can live your life and be you. That's awesome. But nobody can tell me that trans women and biological women are the same. No disrespect intended. I am fine with people being whoever they want. But I'm not changing the definition of word that's been in use for millennia for feelings. Just be human and unique and it doesnt matter. Boxes are the problem.

For you, but as a straight person I prefer to have relationships with the oposite sex and not find a surprise when I least expect it(not that it's hard to see if it's a trans or a female). That's why for me, a trans woman is still a man, a trans man is still a woman. Basically, they are how they are born (you and others might not like it but some of us think like this and it's impossible to make us change our minds, that's why you have to accept that you can't change a person's way of thinking, better just move on than keep trying)
This.

Reactions: zekro94

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I wonder what your issue is trying to get reactions by provoking with polarising topics like this.
Almost like you crave attention that your parents never gave you.

• Love
Reactions: tabzer and mrdude

RetroGen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's what I'm saying. Unique humans.

That's fine but not really fact. I don't disregard it. I'll call you what you want. No skin off my back. But, fact is, women are women and trans women are trans women. Same for the men. I won't add cis to anyone. Cis is offensive. These words have been here forever. You can live your life and be you. That's awesome. But nobody can tell me that trans women and biological women are the same. No disrespect intended. I am fine with people being whoever they want. But I'm not changing the definition of word that's been in use for millennia for feelings. Just be human and unique and it doesnt matter. Boxes are the problem.
Yet there's an obvious logical contradiction in this reasoning which makes it self-refuting.... That's Awesome dude! The view that "women are women" is just as much an ideological exercise of putting people into boxes, but you don't seem to see the dogmatism and binary thinking it actually entails.

Reactions: KingVamp

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what your issue is trying to get reactions by provoking with polarising topics like this.
what?- am i not allowed to ask questions on topics such as these?- and i get attention from my parents so this isnt attention craving?-

• Haha
Reactions: HalfScoper

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
just as much an ideological exercise of putting people into boxes
You people are the ones to talk lmao, putting others and especially yourself in boxes such as TFM, MTF, cis-(fe)male, etc etc, instead of just seeing each other as humans and treating each other as such, instead of trying to be special and making a big fuss about it.

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You people are the ones to talk lmao, putting others and especially yourself in boxes such as TFM, MTF, cis-(fe)male, etc etc, instead of just seeing each other as humans and treating each other as such, instead of trying to be special and making a big fuss about it.
im not trans?- Who said anything about me trying to be special?- And who said i dont see people as humans

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you blind or just ignorant? I didn't quote your reply in my response.
i didnt notice, i am sorry ig
Post automatically merged:

also adding onto this, why would you instantly assume that my parents didnt give me attention?

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*snip*

Yet there's an obvious logical contradiction in this reasoning which makes it self-refuting.... That's Awesome dude! The view that "women are women" is just as much an ideological exercise of putting people into boxes, but you don't seem to see the dogmatism and binary thinking it actually entails.
It's not boxes. It's english. And one person is not they or them. That's just bad grammar. Look at fact. Trans people have rights to be happy. I dont care what they do. I don't care what anyone does. That said a T bone is not a drumstick no matter what you do to it. I wouldnt eat it. You can. More power to you. And i don't care if you do. It's still a T-bone.

Why don't we just say people and call the whole thing off?

Last edited by porkiewpyne,

RetroGen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So some states have banned even talking about certain topics or using certain words, but i think we should teach young kids that its ok to be who they want, they should be able to safely express how they feel without being in danger. Some say its grooming kids, but how is it, its just educating them about how some people are different. Its natural. Im 15, im bisexual, its who i am.
_119088308_pride3.jpg
Up until recently, my sister was a teacher for several years and has dealt with these issues personally. Basically, what she told me is that all teachers want to do is to create a safe space for students to be themselves, and that that includes a tiny bit of discussion to bring about awareness of sexual and gender diversity. She never taught kids how to be gay or trans or furry or use litter boxes or anything of the sort. Most of what's going around on rightwing social media is disinformation and nonsense, not at all based on reality.

Further, to the OP, I hope you don't get too discouraged by the responses here. Keep flying your flag!

There's a whole lot of anti-LGBTQ+ propaganda being pushed in rightwing social media at the moment and you're seeing the result of a coordinated, well-funded, disinformation campaign designed to stoke social division and shore up rightwing political support under the false guise of "parental rights" and "child abuse". But it isn't actually about those issues. It's about driving a political wedge via fear, hatred, and division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hot take: freddy fazbear's pizzeria simulator is peak fnaf