• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

opinions on teaching about lgbtq+ in school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are public schools "teaching" such matters of social indoctrination in the first place, i.e. normalizing/condoning any moral position or behavior one way or the other? Is that what schools are for? Are we saying the quiet part out loud in here?

What happened to math?? Oh, right, math is racist.

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are public schools "teaching" such matters of social indoctrination in the first place, i.e. normalizing/condoning any moral position or behavior? Is that what schools are for? Are we saying the quiet part out loud in here?

What happened to math?? Oh, right, math is racist.
where did you come to the conclusion that math is racist-

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
where did you come to the conclusion that math is racist-

Just a recent woke fringe cause du jour.

math.JPG

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just a recent woke fringe cause du jour.

View attachment 394902
I suspect foreign interference. This is exactly the kind of thing the KGB would have done. I suspect its not Russia these days though, China seems to be much better at this. The CCP always target democrats because its easy to just call these people racist or a homophobe and intimate them.

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suspect foreign interference. This is exactly the kind of thing the KGB would have done. I suspect its not Russia these days though, China seems to be much better at this.
how did we go from lgbtq to math? to china? lol,

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
how did we go from lgbtq to math? to china? lol,
You are talking about some of the crazy things being taught in school. It came from somewhere. Maybe you are too young to remember, but we didn't have people being intimidated and silenced in this fashion until recently. You question anything and a mob calls you alt-right and racist.

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What you are talking about is the completely insane things being taught in school. Anyway, Im not really getting anywhere and I want to play video games.
what insane things?- whats wrong with helping them feel understood and accepted and that they are normal? Do you have something against the lgbtq?

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
what insane things?- whats wrong with helping them feel understood and accepted and that they are normal? Do you have something against the lgbtq?
And there it is, same predictable bs response. Go to reddit, they have a giant echo chamber for you there.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You are underage for one, I mean they don't even teach you sex education in freshmen.
Actually in most European countries we teach kids at the age of like 12-13 sex ed. Since we know teenagers will be teenagers and it's better for them to do it safe than to shame them about it.

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And there it is, same predictable bs response. Go to reddit, they have a giant echo chamber for you there.
what is the problem with what im saying i dont understand, why cant you tell me why what im saying is insane rather than just saying it is
Post automatically merged:

Actually in most European countries we teach kids at the age of like 12-13 sex ed. Since we know teenagers will be teenagers and it's better for them to do it safe than to shame them about it.
sex ed is a required class, my school gives out condoms in the locker rooms too

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
what is the problem with what im saying i dont understand, why cant you tell me why what im saying is insane rather than just saying it is
Post automatically merged:

sex ed is a required class, my school gives out condoms in the locker rooms too
When someone says this "Do you have something against the lgbtq?" im out. See ya.

jos010

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
went to school in the 90s and i was allowed to skip the relegion lessons back then hah lucky me, nowadays im pretty sure i would skipped school and be on ChatGPT

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah but whats the reasoning?-

Just want to point out - I've taught in a few different states, one of them being very red and another overwhelmingly blue - no one I've encountered or worked with has "thought" this. There's some interesting correlations that can retroactively be made, certainly, but no one is arguing that 1+1 = racism. The papers I've read all deal with the human systems around math (as in, the people teaching it, and in continuing education, the administration around it) being accused of exclusion, biases, and harassment of different minorities. Not the math itself. As a female minority, I haven't encountered overt racism (from the education system), though obviously everyone's experiences are their own.

I also want to point out that normalizing certain behaviors and fostering specific traits *is* part of our job; they just aren't the traits that most people think of when someone says "social indoctrination." I teach educational tolerance and critical thinking - behaviors that we have universally agreed are socially required for hundreds of years. Again, I can't speak towards every teacher out there, but please don't think every educator is actively brain washing children to go against what their parents believe.

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just want to point out - I've taught in a few different states, one of them being very red and another overwhelmingly blue - no one I've encountered or worked with has "thought" this. There's some interesting correlations that can retroactively be made, certainly, but no one is arguing that 1+1 = racism. The papers I've read all deal with the human systems around math (as in, the people teaching it, and in continuing education, the administration around it) being accused of exclusion, biases, and harassment of different minorities. Not the math itself. As a female minority, I haven't encountered overt racism (from the education system), though obviously everyone's experiences are their own.

I also want to point out that normalizing certain behaviors and fostering specific traits *is* part of our job; they just aren't the traits that most people think of when someone says "social indoctrination." I teach educational tolerance and critical thinking - behaviors that we have universally agreed are socially required for hundreds of years. Again, I can't speak towards every teacher out there, but please don't think every educator is actively brain washing children to go against what their parents believe.
im just confused on why a dude called my opinions insane. like what im saying isnt something gargantuanly crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/LHRQRSxQa-k