Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

vulp_vibes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. Is there a way to turn on an OLED board by shorting the power pins' slot? I got one that I think is alive and would like to get it picoflyed.

this is the test pad for the power button on the oled pcb. you can short it to the screw hole above with a pair of tweezers to turn the console on and off.

1690054095777.png

FreeLander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
Hello. Is there a way to turn on an OLED board by shorting the power pins' slot? I got one that I think is alive and would like to get it picoflyed.
Shorting this resistor to ground should also do the trick.

Attachments

• 1690056480342.png
    1690056480342.png
    824.4 KB · Views: 27

Blakejansen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ur gonna have to try to find the original traces it was connected to , so in other words ur gonna have to slowley scratch of the top layers of the apu to find the existing layers
Post automatically merged:

but im pretty sure this is gonna be impossible , give me a sec im gonna show u a picture why

i took a defective Apu from a v2 its the same as on the oled and grinded the layers down fast so u can see what u would be dealing with and why this is pretty much not possible for u even i would try it cause its a wast of time and effort

View attachment 384506
red top layer (Uvmask)
Black second layer ground
third layer is pcb material
Blue fourth layer ground
green via in forth layer

More of the fourth layer
img_20230722_204140_hdr-jpg.384507

this is the sixth layer after that they appear to go to the solderjoints under the apu
View attachment 384508

You are very informative. Thanks for doing this for me as I would not have accepted this was beyond my scope without the pictures. Guess I will try again on a different switch.

Any recommendations for cutting tool so I don't have this problem again?

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You are very informative. Thanks for doing this for me as I would not have accepted this was beyond my scope without the pictures. Guess I will try again on a different switch.

Any recommendations for cutting tool so I don't have this problem again?
no problem im gonna be honest i just thought ill grind to the first 2 layers very fast to show u its pretty much undoable by hand, but then i wanted to see how many layers there are Xd

ClickMe flush cutters like this one

oh and dont forget to get the rp2040-zero if u need support ;-) but i would recommend u the rp2040 tiny since they dont have a usb onboard and already have the resistors on the board u flash them with a flex cable and they are also supported :-)

Reactions: QuiTim

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania

Endracion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hm, I just realized the left joycon doesn't charge and it's not actually connected to the rail - I hadn't noticed it because it was already paired and still works wirelessly. Which part of the board takes care of that? I'll have to go back in and fix it.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hm, I just realized the left joycon doesn't charge and it's not actually connected to the rail - I hadn't noticed it because it was already paired and still works wirelessly. Which part of the board takes care of that? I'll have to go back in and fix it.
Are you sure it isn't just a bad rail?

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Then u didn't properly connect all flex cables I would guess open it up and see which one isn't connected properly ;-)

deeps

Trophies
XP
Country

the flat ribbon cable next to the battery connector

Reactions: Endracion and Dee87

Hadobedo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I understand your frustration with the existence and use of these chips and I agree. I have a few RP2040 dev boards lying around so I will prepare and install my own RP2040 board soon then, just need to get resistors. If the LED error still happens after replacement I will ask for support here hopefully without getting dogpiled for using h***y in the past lol. At the very least it came with the MOSFET flex :P

Honest mistake, it isn't stated anywhere obvious at the start of the thread (likely b/c this was a speculation-turned-support thread from what I can tell) and I didn't explicitly see anyone say those boards are not supported when reading through earlier, I was not aware when writing, sorry!

once i replace the chip w/ my own rp2040 & use thicker AWG i will try to remember to report back with results :)
flashed a rp2040 w/ picofly and installed it, it boots :) but **= error still happens a little more rarely now.

I got rid of the FPCB that connects 3.3v, clk, cmd etc. to a ribbon cable as i do not need it anymore.

Booted the Switch about 60 times, 2 times the LED codes showed again. I missed the first LED code but the second one was **= which is 'No eMMC block 1 read (should not happen)' which is one of the two codes I got before.

I have a feeling/I kinda hope it is just the wires I'm using, my wires are thinner than recommended and they are enameled/magnet wire so i wouldn't be surprised if i like, tapped the length of a wire with my iron by accident and it is shorting with something.

I'm using the same 38AWG wire all points including the 3.3v and ground, I am going to replace them with 30AWG once I receive it. Is 38AWG too thin to use for these lines, even temporarily? I will undo them and wait until I get the proper wire if so.

I was having that 2002-3539 error on OFW after initial install, I doubt it's related but I don't wanna fully rule it out. It thankfully hasn't happened since I swapped DAT0 adapters and leaving the Switch on overnight in-game twice to confirm that the issue is gone for 'good'. Could it have possibly corrupted the eMMC block 1? It boots into OFW no problem with or without the modchip so idk. I have backups of BOOT0/1. eMMC and keys ofc.

Attached pictures of my dirty yet prepared rp2040 w/ resistors, the switch itself and 'install' pictures. The 'install' picture was taken after first boot, after that I desoldered everything and routed all the wires properly and got rid of slack + reflowed the points on the RP2040 to get rid of the cold joints. I used magnet/enameled copper wire, so they should be insulated but I am going to replace them anyways when I receive 36AWG and 30AWG wire in the mail. I will take new pictures of the install at that point as well. I put a layer of electrical tape over the RAM part of the heat spreader for the underside of the RP2040 and layered Kapton tape on the underside of the metal shielding that would touch the top of the RP2040 to prevent shorts.

Thanks for reading :)

Attachments

• NVIDIA_Share_xG55BGT2Mk.png
    NVIDIA_Share_xG55BGT2Mk.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20230723_002303632~2.jpg
    PXL_20230723_002303632~2.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 8e74ff4e-a469-47be-a7e2-d58aad76719e~2.jpg
    8e74ff4e-a469-47be-a7e2-d58aad76719e~2.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 26

deeps

Trophies
XP
Country
flashed a rp2040 w/ picofly and installed it, it boots :) but **= error still happens a little more rarely now.

I got rid of the FPCB that connects 3.3v, clk, cmd etc. to a ribbon cable as i do not need it anymore.

Booted the Switch about 60 times, 2 times the LED codes showed again. I missed the first LED code but the second one was **= which is 'No eMMC block 1 read (should not happen)' which is one of the two codes I got before.

I have a feeling/I kinda hope it is just the wires I'm using, my wires are thinner than recommended and they are enameled/magnet wire so i wouldn't be surprised if i like, tapped the length of a wire with my iron by accident and it is shorting with something.

I'm using the same 38AWG wire all points including the 3.3v and ground, I am going to replace them with 30AWG once I receive it. Is 38AWG too thin to use for these lines, even temporarily? I will undo them and wait until I get the proper wire if so.

I was having that 2002-3539 error on OFW after initial install, I doubt it's related but I don't wanna fully rule it out. It thankfully hasn't happened since I swapped DAT0 adapters and leaving the Switch on overnight in-game twice to confirm that the issue is gone for 'good'. Could it have possibly corrupted the eMMC block 1? It boots into OFW no problem with or without the modchip so idk. I have backups of BOOT0/1. eMMC and keys ofc.

Attached pictures of my dirty yet prepared rp2040 w/ resistors, the switch itself and 'install' pictures. The 'install' picture was taken after first boot, after that I desoldered everything and routed all the wires properly and got rid of slack + reflowed the points on the RP2040 to get rid of the cold joints. I used magnet/enameled copper wire, so they should be insulated but I am going to replace them anyways when I receive 36AWG and 30AWG wire in the mail. I will take new pictures of the install at that point as well. I put a layer of electrical tape over the RAM part of the heat spreader for the underside of the RP2040 and layered Kapton tape on the underside of the metal shielding that would touch the top of the RP2040 to prevent shorts.

Thanks for reading :)
ofw can be unstable because of the 47ohm resistors on dat0/cmd, which is why many of us use 100 ohm instead. if you dont have any 100ohm resistors you can add another 47ohm to achieve 47+47=94ohm

Hadobedo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ofw can be unstable because of the 47ohm resistors on dat0/cmd, which is why many of us use 100 ohm instead. if you dont have any 100ohm resistors you can add another 47ohm to achieve 47+47=94ohm
added another 47ohm resistor onto dat0 and cmd, was initially able to boot around 50 times without fail but after screwing the shield onto the back i got the **= error again. unscrewed it, powered the switch back on, booted no problem. kept the shield off, kept on rebooting for a while to test and eventually got the **= error again. simply powering off the switch and rebooting is enough to make the chip correctly boot again. In other cases, it requires like 2 reboots.

at this point im almost certain its wire interference/shorting related as adding the resistors didn't fix it but it did seem to help. I did however use the one kind of wire that could cause shorts that are practically invisible so im leaning towards that being the culprit

ordered non-enameled 'proper' (im sure theres a better term) 36awg and 30awg wire, gonna replace the dat0 wire (as it seems related to dat0 ofc) and 3.3v/ground wires as soon as i can and see if that gets rid of the problem for good

minimanimo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Hi everybody, I am looking for some help here.

Long story short: I soldered the hwfly rp2040 (but basically is a clone based on picofly) and after after some problems, i got to a state where the modchip booted to the "No sd card" screen. So I was ready to close it.

I did various power-on tests while closing it. Until the metal cover was closed, it worked (booting to the screen mentioned). The moment I closed the black cover, the switch no longer turned on.

I disassembled everything, the modchip gives the following error (with led blinking): *== No eMMC CMD1 request (poor wiring, or dead CPU)

I'm posting screenshots, but basically I covered the metal plate where to allocate the modchip with kapton tape. I have also cut the cover to accommodate it. I have the impression that when closing, the modchip touched somehow the emmc board, which was not protected with kapton. Or something else. Also, I didn't even put the kapton above the capacitor soldered to the adapter (but I don't think it touched the metal cover).

So I unsoldered everything, cleaned the CPU, inserted the emmc in the original housing. Nothing, black screen here too.
A user in the other post assumes a problem with the emmc, probably hardware.
When I press the power button and the modchip powers up, that's why I talk about "black screen".

I also have a thread with additional info and photos: https://gbatemp.net/threads/black-s...witch-with-hwfly-rp2040.636599/#post-10208691

Hope someone can help me in figuring this out.
Thanks in advance!

• Angry
Reactions: Takezo-San

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Long story short: I soldered the hwfly rp2040 (but basically is a clone based on picofly) and after after some problems, i got to a state where the modchip booted to the "No sd card" screen. So I was ready to close it.

I did various power-on tests while closing it. Until the metal cover was closed, it worked (booting to the screen mentioned). The moment I closed the black cover, the switch no longer turned on.

I disassembled everything, the modchip gives the following error (with led blinking): *== No eMMC CMD1 request (poor wiring, or dead CPU)

I'm posting screenshots, but basically I covered the metal plate where to allocate the modchip with kapton tape. I have also cut the cover to accommodate it. I have the impression that when closing, the modchip touched somehow the emmc board, which was not protected with kapton. Or something else. Also, I didn't even put the kapton above the capacitor soldered to the adapter (but I don't think it touched the metal cover).

So I unsoldered everything, cleaned the CPU, inserted the emmc in the original housing. Nothing, black screen here too.
When I press the power button and the modchip powers up, that's why I talk about "black screen".

I also have a thread with additional info and photos: https://gbatemp.net/threads/black-s...witch-with-hwfly-rp2040.636599/#post-10208691

Thanks in advance!
If u need help with ur hwfly chip use ur own thread but dont hijack a picofly cause its "basicly" the same.
Hwfly chips are not supported in this thread its been explained probally 1000 times.

why dont u ask ur chip supplier for help since he created and send it out preflashed ? so he should do ur support

since u have ur own thread use that thread ....................

Takezo-San

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles

Thanks in advance!
Forward this message to your hwfly seller. They're way more helpful than this thread. Trust me. You'll be up and running in no time.

• Haha

cgtchy0412

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
added another 47ohm resistor onto dat0 and cmd, was initially able to boot around 50 times without fail but after screwing the shield onto the back i got the **= error again. unscrewed it, powered the switch back on, booted no problem. kept the shield off, kept on rebooting for a while to test and eventually got the **= error again. simply powering off the switch and rebooting is enough to make the chip correctly boot again. In other cases, it requires like 2 reboots.

at this point im almost certain its wire interference/shorting related as adding the resistors didn't fix it but it did seem to help. I did however use the one kind of wire that could cause shorts that are practically invisible so im leaning towards that being the culprit

ordered non-enameled 'proper' (im sure theres a better term) 36awg and 30awg wire, gonna replace the dat0 wire (as it seems related to dat0 ofc) and 3.3v/ground wires as soon as i can and see if that gets rid of the problem for good
Try to touch/rub all solder point on pico with finger, any sharp? protude? thats will make a short if you screw the shield.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu