• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[Poll]American midterm prediction

Who will win the midterm senate elections?

• Republicans by a massive margin

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Republicans by a narrow margin

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Democrats by a narrow margin

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Democrats by a large margin

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • I have no preference or opinion on the matter

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Comedy conspiracy option (civil war, NPC invasion, bombing of the senate,...you name it)

Votes: 9 13.2%

• Total voters

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
actually for all the doom and glood some news channels are portraying this seems to be playing exactly as predicted if not a wee bit better for Dems.
1 out of the 3 doesnt (and strong control over it) doesnt seem bad if you ask me
Hopefully the same pattern as '06 midterm when Dems took the house, then took senate and the presidency in '08. Trump does seem to be repeating many of the same mistakes as GWB, and adding some original mistakes in to the mix as well. Mueller will likely help push things in the right direction.

Reactions: WD_GASTER2

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty unexceptional midterm election after all. If this is the great referendum on Trump, it's a resounding 'meh' at best. Look at Obama's first midterm in 2010 for example, Republicans +6 in Senate and +63 in the House. That was a wave election. This one's more of an ooze, but still the Congress is divided so back to good ol' legislative quagmire lol.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Pretty unexceptional midterm election after all. If this is the great referendum on Trump, it's a resounding 'meh' at best. Look at Obama's first midterm in 2010 for example, Republicans +6 in Senate and +63 in the House. That was a wave election. This one's more of an ooze, but still the Congress is divided so back to good ol' legislative quagmire lol.
The biggest referendum on Trump I think is how many women are being elected, especially out of Midwest states that he won solidly in '16.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
"voting machines conveniently switching out beto for cruz" is about as explicitly one can describe 'rigged' without using the actual word.

but I didn't.
I didn't say they rigged the machines to do this. I say they have machines that do this (because they do), very convenient thing where a vote as clear as straight ticket doesn't go through as straight ticket for dem voters and is much harder to spot on a glance than for the other side.
and I'm saying they saw no reason to address this clearly fatal flaw with anything more than 'not our problem' (because it's not, it's a good thing for them).

there's a difference between fixing what is hopefully just a coincidentally biased voting machine and downright rigging the voting machine.
h
aving said that, with reps hard fight to not improve on any election machine safety and explicit work to remove what little funding there is to ensure uncompromised elections in the us, it also wouldn't be farfetched to expect foul play.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Interesting turnout so far. I'm shocked, but also not shocked, at Beto's loss in Texas.

Does anyone know of who the 1 "other party" person is that won a senate seat? The fact that someone out there not tied to the two major parties managed to get somewhere amuses me. (unless he was already an incumbent...? Is it Sanders?)

I expected a larger flip due to all the Democrats who are looking to stake their claim in this post-Trump world. Really close race on so many fronts. It's awesome to know that there were a lot of record breaking voter turnouts, regardless; every vote counts.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
he is independent afaik. so probably yes. :D
Also may i ask what your take on Beto was? legitimately curious how millenials felt about him in Texas.

Reactions: Chary

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting turnout so far. I'm shocked, but also not shocked, at Beto's loss in Texas.

Does anyone know of who the 1 "other party" person is that won a senate seat? The fact that someone out there not tied to the two major parties managed to get somewhere amuses me. (unless he was already an incumbent...? Is it Sanders?)

I expected a larger flip due to all the Democrats who are looking to stake their claim in this post-Trump world. Really close race on so many fronts. It's awesome to know that there were a lot of record breaking voter turnouts, regardless; every vote counts.
Bernie Sanders.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
he is independent afaik. so probably yes. :D
Also may i ask what your take on Beto was? legitimately curious how millenials felt about him in Texas.

1. He's perfect because he's not Cruz.

Kidding aside, he seemed like he had a lot of good ideas, and I liked how he really did try to get out there and make an effort to have a friendly campaign that focused on the people. I'm sure tons of other politicians try that same stuff...but whenever he was on the TV, he just seemed likeable. I wanted to root for him. His stances on Texas schools were great imo, (we need less focus on the standardized tests) as well as his view on term limits (he claimed if he was voted in, he'd only serve limited terms because that's what he truly believes in).

(Also he wants to increase funding for the Pell Grant...and as someone who's to go to college, more grants = yay! lol. Overall, I liked his public+higher education stuff)

The only negative points that really stuck with me were the fact he tried to backpedal on the DUI incident he had. Claiming the police and witnesses got the event wrong rubbed me the wrong way. It's 20 years ago, you were drunk, let it go, it's old news at this point. I'd be more willing (albeit pained) to look past that if he accepted it without the "but...".

And his immigration stances, which kinda leaned into "too lax", for my tastes. Neither him nor Cruz really had a good plan on that one.

I kinda expected a Beto win, purely because Cruz sounds too preachy and he's hard to like, at least, to me. I can see Republicans not caring enough to show up to vote for Cruz, or people flipping because they're tired of him. I don't hate him as a candidate, but I'm not over the moon over his re-election either.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you sound like a left leaning conservative to me :P (I kid, I kid)

I do agree though, I want kids to get a better education.(educated kids means a stronger country and a stronger future!)

On my end i dunno... Ted Cruz just seems like a smarmy dude.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts much appreciated!

Reactions: Chary

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, and I suppose other politicians are loving and endearing?

Why do I always see you injecting things that are just simply not there? You do it all the damn time here. The comparison was with Grandpa Munster, not with other politicians. I'll tell you again, you seriously need to work on your reading comprehension.

Reactions: emigre

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Is it me, or is Trump (yet again) breaking new grounds of hypocrisy?

Pre-voting, it was all "IT'S ALL DEMOCRATS' FAULT!!!" and "IF DEMOCRATS WIN, EVERYTHING WE DID WILL BE UNDONE!!!". Now that democrats've taken the house, he's calling it "a great success". :unsure:

but I didn't.
I didn't say they rigged the machines to do this. I say they have machines that do this (because they do), very convenient thing where a vote as clear as straight ticket doesn't go through as straight ticket for dem voters and is much harder to spot on a glance than for the other side.
and I'm saying they saw no reason to address this clearly fatal flaw with anything more than 'not our problem' (because it's not, it's a good thing for them).

there's a difference between fixing what is hopefully just a coincidentally biased voting machine and downright rigging the voting machine.
having said that, with reps hard fight to not improve on any election machine safety and explicit work to remove what little funding there is to ensure uncompromised elections in the us, it also wouldn't be farfetched to expect foul play.
Sorry, but I really have to side with @Hanafuda on this. It certainly baffles me that in this day and age, you still have computers who cannot 100% correctly process a simple task as "vote A or vote B" (top notch country you guys have. A real shining beacon of democracy :glare:). And yeah...with that, it's real easy to see where conspiracy theories regarding vote mingling stem from. But truth is: thus far you've shown nothing that indicates that it directly benefits either side. The way you explain it, I give it as much (or as small) chance that a republican vote goes to democrats as that a democrat vote goes republican.

Reactions: Xzi and CallmeBerto

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is it me, or is Trump (yet again) breaking new grounds of hypocrisy?

Pre-voting, it was all "IT'S ALL DEMOCRATS' FAULT!!!" and "IF DEMOCRATS WIN, EVERYTHING WE DID WILL BE UNDONE!!!". Now that democrats've taken the house, he's calling it "a great success". :unsure:

Sorry, but I really have to side with @Hanafuda on this. It certainly baffles me that in this day and age, you still have computers who cannot 100% correctly process a simple task as "vote A or vote B" (top notch country you guys have. A real shining beacon of democracy :glare:). And yeah...with that, it's real easy to see where conspiracy theories regarding vote mingling stem from. But truth is: thus far you've shown nothing that indicates that it directly benefits either side. The way you explain it, I give it as much (or as small) chance that a republican vote goes to democrats as that a democrat vote goes republican.

Then you didnt read. The machines in question sometimes changed beto for Cruz when voting straight dem.
But when voting straight rep, they would sometimes leave the thing blank, meaning no rep vote would accidentally go to beto ever and a blank spot is also much easier to notice and correct.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Then you didnt read. The machines in question sometimes changed beto for Cruz when voting straight dem.
But when voting straight rep, they would sometimes leave the thing blank, meaning no rep vote would accidentally go to beto ever and a blank spot is also much easier to notice and correct.
I stand corrected. I hadn't read the full article you linked to. Sorry. :mellow:

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
1. He's perfect because he's not Cruz.

Kidding aside, he seemed like he had a lot of good ideas, and I liked how he really did try to get out there and make an effort to have a friendly campaign that focused on the people. I'm sure tons of other politicians try that same stuff...but whenever he was on the TV, he just seemed likeable. I wanted to root for him. His stances on Texas schools were great imo, (we need less focus on the standardized tests) as well as his view on term limits (he claimed if he was voted in, he'd only serve limited terms because that's what he truly believes in).

(Also he wants to increase funding for the Pell Grant...and as someone who's to go to college, more grants = yay! lol. Overall, I liked his public+higher education stuff)

The only negative points that really stuck with me were the fact he tried to backpedal on the DUI incident he had. Claiming the police and witnesses got the event wrong rubbed me the wrong way. It's 20 years ago, you were drunk, let it go, it's old news at this point. I'd be more willing (albeit pained) to look past that if he accepted it without the "but...".

And his immigration stances, which kinda leaned into "too lax", for my tastes. Neither him nor Cruz really had a good plan on that one.

I kinda expected a Beto win, purely because Cruz sounds too preachy and he's hard to like, at least, to me. I can see Republicans not caring enough to show up to vote for Cruz, or people flipping because they're tired of him. I don't hate him as a candidate, but I'm not over the moon over his re-election either.
Have you seen this discussion? There seems to be many people supporting Cruz. TBH I don’t really know much about him or Beto. I’m like out of it when it comes to these two guys. I know Ted from Lyin’ Ted thanks to Trump. And this commercial. It seems like Beto is very far left. And Cruz obviously right.

Some people were going crazy against Kavanaugh calling him an alcoholic and using that saying he’s not fit for politics, which I personally don’t see as a big deal because that’s what people do when they’re young, get drunk. Beto was arrested for DWI and Burglary. I would find it hypocritical if the same people went against Kavanaugh because of him drinking beer but not against Beto that did far worse.

Last edited by SG854,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sicklyboy, Using a Fiio DAC and Betron headphones.
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I use AKG K7XX headphones for daily use, but Meze 99 Classics when I want to *enjoy* the music
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I mean built in sound on mobo's has gotten way better but still XP handled sound better and X-Fi was still better than onboard audio even to this day
    Hell not sure what was going on but for like a few weeks MP3's sounded muffled, some driver or Windows update fixed it. Thank god lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Oh boy Massdrop has $1100 IEMs. Want, but not at that price lmao. https://drop.com/buy/campfire-audio-andromeda-emerald-sea-iem
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'd sooner buy the Meze 109 Pro if I was dropping that much on headphones. I don't even like buds/IEMs
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I got the Google Pixel Pro buds, they're good enough for when I need portable audio. And some really cheap IEMs that Dankpods recommends, I think the KZ ZSN Pro
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd stick with cheapo Chinese $10 ones quality is actually becoming on pair with name brand since name Brand usually quads the price up anyway loose one bud that's another $200
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    My Pixel Pro buds shit the bed a month or two ago. My wireless charger (which they do support Qi charging) absolutely COOKED them. Caused some problem that caused the case to heat up to 180F+
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    They were like 9 months out of warranty but I hit up Google support anyway and told them how hot they were getting and they replaced them with new ones because they wanted these for failure analysis lol
    lol wireless charging
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why I can't bring myself to even spend $100 on wireless earbuds
    I think it's a cool idea but damn
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Apparently the case has a problem with >15W wireless chargers. Google design fault, that one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I could live with wireless charging if the damn standard case doesn't block connection
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    how is wireless charging possible?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dbz said everyone has raging energy senses
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    you mean generally, how does the concept work?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Copper conducting electricity or something
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @Xdqwerty, power through a coil of wire causes an electromagnetic field to be generated. Another coil of wire can be set up to harness the power from that electromagnetic field and turn it into usable energy for charging a device
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Two good videos from ElectroBOOM that touch on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQwGjhwPEik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2YwkAWg0_g
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Elements on earth are actually more powerful than we think
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Elements on earth are actually more powerful than we think