• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[Poll]American midterm prediction

Who will win the midterm senate elections?

• Republicans by a massive margin

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Republicans by a narrow margin

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Democrats by a narrow margin

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Democrats by a large margin

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • I have no preference or opinion on the matter

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Comedy conspiracy option (civil war, NPC invasion, bombing of the senate,...you name it)

Votes: 9 13.2%

• Total voters
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Know what I did? I voted libertarian for everything I could, when I couldn't do that, I went with the guy running as US Taxpayers. When the few positions on the ballot that were only R or D, I just did one of each. Too bad just myself isn't enough to throw a wrench into the cogs of the political machine.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So the votes are still being recounted in some areas, and it seems like Democrats have a good shot at winning the Arizona senate race and possibly the Florida senate race. Statistically, there's little denying that this was a blue wave election. Democrats haven't won this many seats in a single election since Nixon. They were expected to pick up 27 in congress on the high end, and they got 31.

Reactions: KingVamp

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the votes are still being recounted in some areas, and it seems like Democrats have a good shot at winning the Arizona senate race and possibly the Florida senate race. Statistically, there's little denying that this was a blue wave election. Democrats haven't won this many seats in a single election since Nixon. They were expected to pick up 27 in congress on the high end, and they got 31.

Funny how it's always Democrats who 'find' uncounted ballots in Democrat-heavy districts after the election is over, and only where the race was close enough to merit a recount.

pA3Iv1s.png

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Funny how it's always Democrats who 'find' uncounted ballots in Democrat-heavy districts after the election is over, and only where the race was close enough to merit a recount.
It's not funny at all. It means some jackass was initially trying to hide mail-in and provisional ballots to keep them from being counted. In several states they also found locked buildings full of unused voting machines that were meant to be available on election day. This shit is to be expected in every election from now on to some degree, at least until the voting rights act is fully restored.

Last edited by Xzi,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Arizona went to democrats. Countin still going on in Florida.

At the time I wrote the poll I hadn't realised that it were multiple races. The republicans won the senate, as was predicted. How close it was is up for debate (it's all in perception, I guess? :unsure: ).

I hadn't polled on the house of representative, but as it turns out that was a landslide victory for democrats (it's been 40 years since they won more seats).

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Arizona went to democrats. Countin still going on in Florida.

At the time I wrote the poll I hadn't realised that it were multiple races. The republicans won the senate, as was predicted. How close it was is up for debate (it's all in perception, I guess? :unsure: ).

I hadn't polled on the house of representative, but as it turns out that was a landslide victory for democrats (it's been 40 years since they won more seats).
Yeah, the dems weren't expected to take the senate as the vast majority of seats up for election were Democrat incumbents. With the house win they do have a big opportunity to take all three branches in 2020, but only if voter turnout is as high or higher than the midterm.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
As an additional thought, the Democrat primary for president should be really interesting next year. Beto is a possibility, then you've got Elizabeth Warren, Cory Booker, and still some potential (however remote) of Bernie and Biden running, among others. At least it will be a good showcase of how composed the entire field is in comparison to the nutjobs in government on the right, and there are a lot of solid options.

Last edited by Xzi,

Attacker3

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
-Hey guys, the voting machines are overheating! All right, they're fixed, looks like they were all Democrat anyways, whew!
-Hey guys, we found huge boxed of ballots? Where? Who cares, they're all Democrat anyways.
-Hey, people are transporting ballot boxes in Uber? That's fine, they're all Democrat votes anyways.
-Hey, dead people are voting and others are voting twice? No matter, that's a conspiracy theory, go away!
-Hey, the Democrats have a history of breaking election laws? It didn't happen this time, you dumb Republican!

Do you want to know why the Democrats are the party of immigration and minorities? Because they need the vote. More immigrants means more Democratic voters. Absolutely disgusting practice.

What should be bi-partisan is requiring voter ID.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Do you want to know why the Democrats are the party of immigration and minorities? Because they need the vote. More immigrants means more Democratic voters. Absolutely disgusting practice.
Democrats are the party of the majority. When they turn out, they win, simple as that. This is why for decades Republicans have done whatever they can to keep voter turnout low. Gerrymandering, voter roll purges, poll closures, claims of voter fraud that never pan out, voter ID, and so forth. To be so repulsive that Republicans still get voted out despite all these advantages being stacked in their favor, and despite the electoral map being favorable to them, is quite the accomplishment.

If the Republicans had a smart leader who had played to their strengths in the midterm, primarily the economy*, god knows they might've been able to lock Dems out of all three branches for at least another two years, if not six. Probably fortunate then that they only have Trump, the guy who prefers hate and/or fear mongering about immigrants, and the guy who makes clear his disdain for veterans and the military.

* For the moment

Last edited by Xzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Penisapiens
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Tempus Bannus
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @cearp, okie dokie i'm sorry
  • cearp @ cearp:
    lol I meant nothing by it - and for the record I have no powers, so no worries :D
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, you're forgiven
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Well I don't forgive him. He's been eating ALL the Tempus Bannus's :angry:
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, it was only once :angry:
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ROFL :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp: