• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[Poll]American midterm prediction

Who will win the midterm senate elections?

• Republicans by a massive margin

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Republicans by a narrow margin

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Democrats by a narrow margin

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Democrats by a large margin

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • I have no preference or opinion on the matter

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Comedy conspiracy option (civil war, NPC invasion, bombing of the senate,...you name it)

Votes: 9 13.2%

• Total voters

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's my biggest issue against him. I mean, forgive and forget, but DUIs are just...that's one step too far for me. I'm certain Cruz is no hero either, so it's lose-lose. I'm going out to vote in 20 minutes, and I still don't know who I'm going to vote for on that one.

It's not the DUI 20 years ago that bother me. It's the still lying about it 20 years later.

Even WaPo gave him four Pinocchio's for it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...t-try-leave-scene-dwi/?utm_term=.0ebc8b100d7e

nothing racist intended.

Didn't think there was. Just seemed an odd choice of word.

I'm off to vote, hope you all (who are US citizens) have or do as well. :yaysp:

Last edited by Hanafuda,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You didn't explain how they're refugees though, especially since they're already being offered means of living better then they came from. If I can just declare myself a refugee and choose where I may ask for refuge, then please let me know when I can expect my expense-paid trip to Monaco with state-provided residence and benefits when I get there.

You might want to rephrase that. What's that racist derogatory term for Mexicans/Central Americans?

because it's your right to try and flee to a place where you deem it to be safe. when the jews fled germany, they didn't just move into the next country, they moved across oceans if they could.
you're idiotically implying that asking for refugee is the same as having that granted. or that fleeing your home somehow means you get shit for free along the way. that's rarely the case and one marketplace being nice enough to hand out vouchers doesn't change that, no matter how many times that act is shared on social media.
most of these people sold of whatever they had to finance this 'trip'.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
When I was 15, I thought it was cute that he was reading stories while philibustering to his daughters. That's about the only time he's been likeable outside of memes. I think he's gotten along just by being republican all this time.
Yup. Cruz is unlikable to all his colleagues, but given the pattern of blindly voting R, Texas is just lucky they have yet to vote in someone even worse. Like a Roy Moore type figure.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Then you have something to back it up? Post the link.

https://www.apnews.com/a8825810d10441f2ad828e95d6851d55

"
The secretary of state’s office said Friday that there have been reported issues with Hart eSlate voting machines, which are used in around 30 percent of counties statewide and feature a wheel for selecting candidates and buttons to move from screen to screen. But it says they are caused by voters themselves and often occur when they complete and submit ballots too quickly.

“The Hart eSlate machines are not malfunctioning, the problems being reported are a result of user error — usually voters hitting a button or using the selection wheel before the screen is finished rendering,” said Sam Taylor, spokesman for the office of Secretary of State Rolando Pablos, who was appointed by Republican Gov. Greg Abbott."

But I got one thing wrong, this is apparently nothing new and the machines have been this user unfriendly for the entire 16 years they've been in use.
Cause if there's anything people shouldn't expect to work simple, fast and clean and without a chance to mess up or get messed up, it's a voting machine.
It's still conveniently convenient how the only one to benefit this time around seems to be Cruz. And how they see no problem or reason to, at least in the future, fix this shit.

Last edited by Clydefrosch,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's my biggest issue against him. I mean, forgive and forget, but DUIs are just...that's one step too far for me.
Agreed. I could never forgive anyone who drinks and drives, even if it was my own family member. You chose to get hammered and get behind a wheel, and risk killing people. You're the lowest of the low.

Reactions: Hanafuda and Chary

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't believe anyone in Texas ever voted for Cruz to begin with. He's weak, whiny, and always looks wet. Like the exact opposite of the image Texas has tried to cultivate for itself.

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, this parody site is hilarious:

https://www.tedcruzforhumanpresident.com/
I always thought Cruz looked kind of like Grandpa Munster only, you know, not lovable and endearing.

Reactions: Xzi

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://www.apnews.com/a8825810d10441f2ad828e95d6851d55

"
The secretary of state’s office said Friday that there have been reported issues with Hart eSlate voting machines, which are used in around 30 percent of counties statewide and feature a wheel for selecting candidates and buttons to move from screen to screen. But it says they are caused by voters themselves and often occur when they complete and submit ballots too quickly.

“The Hart eSlate machines are not malfunctioning, the problems being reported are a result of user error — usually voters hitting a button or using the selection wheel before the screen is finished rendering,” said Sam Taylor, spokesman for the office of Secretary of State Rolando Pablos, who was appointed by Republican Gov. Greg Abbott."

But I got one thing wrong, this is apparently nothing new and the machines have been this user unfriendly for the entire 16 years they've been in use.
Cause if there's anything people shouldn't expect to work simple, fast and clean and without a chance to mess up or get messed up, it's a voting machine.
It's still conveniently convenient how the only one to benefit this time around seems to be Cruz. And how they see no problem or reason to, at least in the future, fix this shit.

So it's not rigged machines at all. Just people not following instructions. But let's complain with hyperbolic accusations of vote rigging.

Those voting machines give you a summary of all your votes to give you one last opportunity to verify/change before printing the ticket at the end. I just used one minutes ago.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So it's not rigged machines at all. Just people not following instructions. But let's complain with hyperbolic accusations of vote rigging.

Those voting machines give you a summary of all your votes to give you one last opportunity to verify/change before printing the ticket at the end. I just used one minutes ago.
Purposefully shitty machines without any paper backup is potentially vote rigging because there's no way of knowing what your vote is ultimately counted as. Regardless of any sort of "final verification." The only case of definite vote rigging we know of so far is in Georgia where the Republican running for re-election is also the one in charge of managing/purging voter rolls.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/brian-kemp-340000-voters-748165/

Oh, and I suppose other politicians are loving and endearing?
The vast majority tend to be a lot more charismatic and endearing than Ted Cruz, yes. That's not a very high bar though.

Last edited by Xzi,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heh, machines were down at the place I voted, so they sent me elsewhere to go vote. One day out of the year, and they cannot get the voting machines working correctly. One fucking job, lol.

Reactions: Costello

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
IMG_2219.JPG

Proud to say I voted. It'll be fun to see the results!

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I think voting machines are unreliable, and are prone to exploits. Don't you think there's a very big interest to control US politics?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

notice how I'm not the one who used the word rigged.
but keep on talking about hyperbole, asshole.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as it looks right now R will retain control of the senate but D will get the house
Pretty much as predicted, you can see also trump knew it was going to happen as he was just focusing on senate races in all the rallies over the last few weeks

My distinct was one that flipped (NY-11) to D

Cruz retains his seat in TX
It looks like rick scott will flip FL though

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
as it looks right now R will retain control of the senate but D will get the house
Pretty much as predicted, you can see also trump knew it was going to happen as he was just focusing on senate races in all the rallies over the last few weeks

My distinct was one that flipped (NY-11) to D
More wins in the house for Democrats than were expected, but came up just short in those big senate races for Texas and Florida. Still pretty historic being that close in Texas, and it looks like the Dems will take some house and local races there anyway.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually for all the doom and glood some news channels are portraying this seems to be playing exactly as predicted if not a wee bit better for Dems.
1 out of the 3 doesnt (and strong control over it) doesnt seem bad if you ask me

@Chary under 21. you spring chicken voters! good for you!

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,
Reactions: Chary and Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol