Status
Not open for further replies.

AceAttorney524

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it was in the other thread before this one that I actually commented on the names, and I think a mix of both Japanese and pun names might be good rather than anglicizing all of the characters. One example I gave was possibly changing Naruhodo to Raito, which is both a Japanese name and comes from the English word "right" and brings the pun full circle while still keeping Ryunosuke's ethnicity as implicitly Japanese, and since the official translations for the AA games have been confirmed to be a more Japanese-centric version of Southern California because of localization, it would work out fine as a way to imply the characters eventually emigrated to California from Japan.
Yeah! I saw that and I thought that was probably the best thing someone's said before. I think that we should use that same method for all the Japanese characters. I understand that people just want the least possible edits, but I think "Raito" is probably the best thing to do for Ryunosuke. And obviously the English Characters shouldnt't have Japanese names. So I think it's fine to change it to Edgeworth. As to making the soundtrack a little more western I can understand that we'd rather have it the original way. Perhaps there's something I can do on my own for just myself.

And If there's some way to put VA in it then I think we should instead of completely removing any VA. Seeing as there is no "official" English ones, I think that we should do something about that if you're willing.

So how's the actual download process going to work when it's done?

AceAttorney524

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also Do you wanna add me on Skype for when you need me.

I don't know how I'm going to be able to get the game. Is the patch fairly easy to download onto the 3DS?
Looks like for aai2 you just downloaded the rom and a patch

Last edited by AceAttorney524,

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I think it's fine to change it to Edgeworth

There's actually no reason to change his name to Edgeworth because his name is Barok van Zieks, which isn't Japanese, it's Dutch. Barok is apparently the Dutch translation of the word "Baroque" while van is a common surname particle. Zieks is Dutch too and means something along the lines of "sick" or "sickening". Barok van Zieks is also the official romanization of his name, so I think sticking with it is for the best.

And If there's some way to put VA in it then I think we should instead of completely removing any VA. Seeing as there is no "official" English ones, I think that we should do something about that if you're willing.

I didn't realize there were fully voiced scenes, so I think a voicedub might be better as a spinoff project rather than attached to the main translation because it would take a long time to find voice actors and dub all of the dialogue. And if there's lipsynced mouth movements that's even more problems to deal with that could very well cause more delays.

AceAttorney524

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't realize there were fully voiced scenes, so I think a voicedub might be better as a spinoff project rather than attached to the main translation because it would take a long time to find voice actors and dub all of the dialogue. And if there's lipsynced mouth movements that's even more problems to deal with that could very well cause more delays.
Yeah they do have fully voice acted scenes, but I'm pretty sure it's not lip synced. Since the team is off doing something else, I think the VA is something we could work on until they come back.

I'd be happy to do one, but probably for a random character you see once, like a juror or something. It's probably most important to get people for all the main characters like Raito, Sherlock, etc.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah they do have fully voice acted scenes, but I'm pretty sure it's not lip synced. Since the team is off doing something else, I think the VA is something we could work on until they come back.

I'd be happy to do one, but probably for a random character you see once, like a juror or something. It's probably most important to get people for all the main characters like Raito, Sherlock, etc.

*Lol it looks like Raito is stuck with me

Dante32

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
wait, you have translated the WHOLE GAME already? And you just have to go through checking and editing... does that mean you will be releasing the translated game soon? (if the checking and editing is long or the patch won't be released soon please just tell me, I don't know anything about coding).

xdsh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I stated before I have associates who are able to code and translate. To what extent I don't know, but from what I have seen they should be able to help.
I'd also be happy to beta test the game and give insight to what I feel could be changed, such as English Characters still having Japanese names. (Prosecutor Auchi is clearly the Ancestor of Payne. I am quite confused to this change as last names do not change throught generations. The English prosecutor is also clearly and ancestor of Edgeworth, and I think that name should be used rather than the translation of the Jap version.)
If I it's possible for me to help out, then I would be much obliged to do so as well as find others who can solve issues beyond my spectrum of abilities.

First of all, you obviously have no idea what youre talking about. Van Zieks has in NO WAY been confirmed as Edgeworths ancestor.

Secondly, the translators has mentioned that they are using an edited version of the Dowolf script on Court Records. Said script actually has changed names already.

Which actually leads to a question Ive been wanting to ask the translators - are you guys planning on keeping Dowolfs names, or using the original names? Im personally not fond of most of his names (though I really like Raitou and Peiin), but I think it would be cool if it were possible to make it optional, such as releasing two patches, or even a way to choose which dowolf names you do or dont want, if that sort of thing is possible.

Also, do you guys have Dowolfs permission to use his script? Just curious because in his post on court records he doesnt specify whether or not its okay to use his script for stuff.

EDIT: Also, I had another idea - I think if you were to do custom voice clips, it would be cool if you guys kept the Japanese voice clips for the Japanese character and only did english ones for english characters such as Van Zieks. I actually have some custom bubbles ive made that id like to share, but I cant at the moment.

EDIT2: Here are my custom bubbles http://imgur.com/a/hr2ZB (+ Van Zieks http://i.imgur.com/y3XPbBO.png). Has a few extras not included in DGS because I originally made them for an AAO fan case. No idea if theyre the right size to be used in the game but I figured I might as well share them.

If anybody wants to use them for something go ahead, as long as you credit me.

Last edited by xdsh,

AceAttorney524

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, you obviously have no idea what youre talking about. Van Zieks has in NO WAY been confirmed as Edgeworths ancestor
No need to be rude. And He's clearly an Edgeworth ancestor.
He couldn't look anymore like him.
Just because it's not confirmed doesn't mean it's not true.
So yeah quit being a jerk.

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to have to agree with them on this point honestly. The way he was designed is reminiscent of Edgeworth but he isn't close close to being confirmed as Edgeworth's ancestor. I think it's best to try and keep headcanons out of the translation discussion so arguments don't erupt.

luyairis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, you obviously have no idea what youre talking about. Van Zieks has in NO WAY been confirmed as Edgeworths ancestor.

Secondly, the translators has mentioned that they are using an edited version of the Dowolf script on Court Records. Said script actually has changed names already.

Which actually leads to a question Ive been wanting to ask the translators - are you guys planning on keeping Dowolfs names, or using the original names? Im personally not fond of most of his names (though I really like Raitou and Peiin), but I think it would be cool if it were possible to make it optional, such as releasing two patches, or even a way to choose which dowolf names you do or dont want, if that sort of thing is possible.

Also, do you guys have Dowolfs permission to use his script? Just curious because in his post on court records he doesnt specify whether or not its okay to use his script for stuff.

EDIT: Also, I had another idea - I think if you were to do custom voice clips, it would be cool if you guys kept the Japanese voice clips for the Japanese character and only did english ones for english characters such as Van Zieks. I actually have some custom bubbles ive made that id like to share, but I cant at the moment.

EDIT2: Here are my custom bubbles http://imgur.com/a/hr2ZB (+ Van Zieks http://i.imgur.com/y3XPbBO.png). Has a few extras not included in DGS because I originally made them for an AAO fan case. No idea if theyre the right size to be used in the game but I figured I might as well share them.

We actually changed that. K-Sha joined the group, so we'll be using their translations, and we'll translate the rest on our own.

We're still not completely decided on how we're going with the names, but it really shouldn't be much a problem to make two patches. We did the entire Fire Emblem If name-change patch in around 10 minnutes.

Voice clips, someone else can do that. :)

Reactions: SoyAlexPop

Izreirso

Trophies
XP
Country
Made an account just to say keep up the good work guys.
Have been following this project as a guest ever since it started, and knowing how much work there must be going on behind the scenes I have always been grateful and excited when a post is made teasing the amount of progress that has been made.
I haven't had a whole lot that I could contribute so I've always just silently observed. Right now however I just wanted to let the team know that, from what I can tell from all the discussion thus far, I feel that the current direction of translation - allowing minor changes for localisation purposes but in general staying true to the original script of the game and minimisation of otherwise needless changes to the game - is in my mind perfect. Regardless of how the team chooses to go about this project, I am grateful that so many people are taking time out of their private lives to create something like this free for the public. I look foward to whatever product is produced at the end.
Keep doing what you guys are doing :)

Reactions: KingDatcom

xdsh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We actually changed that. K-Sha joined the group, so we'll be using their translations, and we'll translate the rest on our own.

We're still not completely decided on how we're going with the names, but it really shouldn't be much a problem to make two patches. We did the entire Fire Emblem If name-change patch in around 10 minnutes.

Voice clips, someone else can do that. :)
Oh cool! I recognize the name K-Sha because I've spoken with them on the /r/AceAttorney Discord server, but for those who don't, K-Sha is the person behind the DGS subs on YouTube.

So I know it's probably too early for this, but any idea how long inserting K-Sha's translations will take? Normally I wouldn't bother asking so early but knowing that so much of the game has already been translated gets me excited

Sorry if I came across as rude, but as the other guy said, resemblance or not, it's best to leave headcanons out of the official translation. Even if it was confirmed, changing his name would be wrong because even in the Japanese version, his surname is different from Edgeworth's

Last edited by xdsh,

Parkreiner

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
As a musician, I am in the process of designing pieces that I hope can be implemented into the game. In Chapter 1 of the game, which takes place in Japan, you'll notice that the soundtrack feels very much influenced by Asian culture. I feel that this is very appropriate in that it uses traditional Japanese overtones, melodies, and other familiar chord structures. The problem I have with it is the jump into England. The soundtrack for Cross Examination, Court Opening, and other such melodies are the same. I feel that this hurts the players absorption in the game. I think that instead the OST could feature more English compositions, such as the work of Beethoven. (Of course none of this would be any sort of major change from each original piece. Perhaps the biggest thing would be a "remix" of sorts, similar how to Dual Destinies uses the Objection! them from T&T, but with different instrumentals and slightly tweaked melodies.)
Regardless of the quality you can bring, those are some 4kids-style changes. The soundtrack is complete. It's cohesive, and everything was designed to serve a specific purpose in the context of the game. I think the current selection plays because the whole story is an East-meets-West affair.

AAI2 fanslation only had the shout voice clips, but this one has fully voiced cutscenes, which would require some seriously professional voice actors, not just some random fans shouting "Objection!".
Yeah, fully-voiced video, so they're completely detached from the rest of the game and aren't piecemeal assets strung together. You also have characters visibly talking, which brings its own issues. Basically, to make it and have it sound good, you'd need someone skilled in ADR and improv script adaptation, on top of people who can create studio-quality mixes, reconstructing the scene by arranging its sound effects. You can't isolate individual elements and make it sound good; you need to recreate the whole sonic scene from scratch.

You're also very unlikely to have people who have the tools for creating their own sound effects, leaving people to use cheap stock ones that might not necessarily fit.

There's also the matter of the recording set-ups most of the actors are likely to have. Most likely, they'll just have a $100 USB mic and some basic padding around it for acoustic treatment at best. Assuming said people can act, they still can't compete with a full recording booth paired with a $4000 mic. Most likely, most people auditioning won't also be able to compete with actors seasoned in professional environments for years.

The DS' low sound quality hid a lot of the potential flaws, but even if the 3DS' quality skill isn't great, it wouldn't be able to hide the seams nearly as well.

Why even ruin the original experience with fandubs? I personally prefer to play the game as it was created without any unnecessary modifications. Replacing the dialogue and menus with english text is enough imo.
I can see the appeal in principle, but the realities create too much of a skill and money barrier to do it well.

I don't see why the lack of English VO would require removing what's already there.

I'm of the mind that the Japanese characters should mostly keep their names. Making Japanese names that double as English puns would be ideal, obviously, but next to impossible to do editor being contrived. I'd rather have actual Japanese names than ones that sound Japanese but don't actually exist. I'm all for changing every single European character's name, though; certain ones like Mitrov Stroganoff not only require you to know how Japanese works, but the pun's based on a completely wrong pronunciation of Mitrov to get it to sound like "meatloaf" in the first place. Something like Vil Orloff would be a contraction of Vilgelm Orloff, and would also sound 100% like the dish "veal orloff" in English and Russian.

The problem with Barok's is that you don't get the calligraphic feel of his Japanese bubbles – which were inspired by Western hand lettering at the turn of the 20th century. Arranging a pre-made font isn't the way to go; you need someone to draw the letters by hand and cohesively. There's also uneven outlining around the bubbles and inconsistent aliasing around the text. This would be another case where it'd be best to redraw everything as clean vectors and then downscale.

You're forgetting the Japanese context. In the Japanese games, Barok is Dutch and Edgeworth is Japanese. The superficial similarities are there, but that's where any overlap ends. Absence of disproof shouldn't be taken as carte blanche for adding relationships that could be there or that could be disproven seconds into the next game. There's no connection in Japanese as of yet; that should stay true in English until things change.

Reactions: Lycan911

Lycan911

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Also, to add to my previous statement in which I said full English voice acting is a bad idea: whether it's a good or a bad idea doesn't matter, the thing is, those cutscenes are most likely in .moflex video format, which can't be edited. Editing the voices in them might only be possible if the audio files are separated from the moflex files, which is highly unlikely in 3DS games. But yeah, as the person above me stated, you'll need some high quality mics if you want to edit these, and I really think it isn't worth it for a simple non-profit translation patch.

xdsh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think the cutscenes need voice acting, but I think the voice clips (objection, hold it, etc.) could be more plausible, especially since this game has a lot less of them than GK2.

The problem with Barok's is that you don't get the calligraphic feel of his Japanese bubbles – which were inspired by Western hand lettering at the turn of the 20th century. Arranging a pre-made font isn't the way to go; you need someone to draw the letters by hand and cohesively. There's also uneven outlining around the bubbles and inconsistent aliasing around the text. This would be another case where it'd be best to redraw everything as clean vectors and then downscale.

Fair enough, I had a feeling that would be an issue. Figured I might as well share what I'd made anyways :P

Also, I feel like that would also be best for the logo/boxart as well, yeah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love...