Hacking PSV VSH Menu - [taiHEN usermode plugin]

demonXcore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do you have kuio installed like the readme says?

I am running into the same Issue. Version 3.68, almost every game. Homebrew apps and Psycho-Pass are the only working games with your Plugin. VSH and Kuio installed and setup as explained in your readme. Specific game line in the config.txt doesn't work either for me.

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am running into the same Issue. Version 3.68, almost every game. Homebrew apps and Psycho-Pass are the only working games with your Plugin. VSH and Kuio installed and setup as explained in your readme. Specific game line in the config.txt doesn't work either for me.

Someone stated that using *ALL before *Kernel worked. Could you try that and report back? Otherwise I'm not sure what the problem is. I'll have to look into it.

demonXcore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay, I have tried your suggestion, but still running into the same issue with some games. However, it seems a few more are running now.
I have tested all my games with the following results:

WORKING:
- All Homebrew
- Accel World vs. Sword Art Online (Downloaded PSN version)
- Atelier Shallie Plus (Downloaded PSN version/Card version)
- Conception 2 (Downloaded PSN version)
- Psycho Pass (Downloaded PSN version)
- Superdimension Neptune vs Sega Hard Girls (Card Version)
- MegaTagmension Blanc+Neptune vs Zombies (Card Version)
- Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 (Downloaded PSN version)
- Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2 (Card Version)
- Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3 (Card Version)
- Hyperdevotion Noire (Card Version)
- Hyperdimension Neptunia U (Card Version)
- Akiba's Trip (Downloaded PSN version)
- Atelier Ayesha Plus (Downloaded PSN version)
- Final Fantasy X-2 (Downloaded PSN version)
- Hyperdimension Neptunia Production Perfection (Downloaded PSN version)
- Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth (Downloaded PSN version)
- Sword Art Online: Lost Song (Downloaded PSN version)
- Tales of Hearts R (Downloaded PSN version)

NOT WORKING:
- Atelier Escha & Logy Plus (Downloaded PSN version)
- Valkyria Revolution (Downloaded PSN version)
- Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization (Downloaded PSN version)
- Atelier Sophie (Downloaded PSN version)
- Freedom Wars (Downloaded PSN version)
- God Eater Resurrection (Downloaded PSN version)
- Trails of Cold Steel 2 (Downloaded PSN version)

All games are original bought versions, no backups (European versions).
It looks it solved the problem with some games (e.g. Atelier Shallie Plus wasn't working before). It seems a few games are still not working with it.
Interesting is, that the other Atelier and the SAO game are older than some other of the same franchise that are actually working.

Another thing I have tried:
Creating the VSH config file manually (the one that is created for the VSH settings per game) and check if the issue lies there.
I set it up for SAO: HR and tried to increase the clock speed manually but I don't see any difference. It seems the VSH is not connecting to those games at all.

I hope this is some helpful data for you.

Last edited by demonXcore,
Reactions: Joel16 and Madridi

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I have tried your suggestion, but still running into the same issue with some games. However, it seems a few more are running now.
I have tested all my games with the following results:

WORKING:
- All Homebrew
- Accel World vs. Sword Art Online (Downloaded PSN version)
- Atelier Shallie Plus (Downloaded PSN version/Card version)
- Conception 2 (Downloaded PSN version)
- Psycho Pass (Downloaded PSN version)
- Superdimension Neptune vs Sega Hard Girls (Card Version)
- MegaTagmension Blanc+Neptune vs Zombies (Card Version)
- Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 (Downloaded PSN version)
- Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2 (Card Version)
- Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3 (Card Version)
- Hyperdevotion Noire (Card Version)
- Hyperdimension Neptunia U (Card Version)
- Akiba's Trip (Downloaded PSN version)
- Atelier Ayesha Plus (Downloaded PSN version)
- Final Fantasy X-2 (Downloaded PSN version)
- Hyperdimension Neptunia Production Perfection (Downloaded PSN version)
- Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth (Downloaded PSN version)
- Sword Art Online: Lost Song (Downloaded PSN version)
- Tales of Hearts R (Downloaded PSN version)

NOT WORKING:
- Atelier Escha & Logy Plus (Downloaded PSN version)
- Valkyria Revolution (Downloaded PSN version)
- Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization (Downloaded PSN version)
- Atelier Sophie (Downloaded PSN version)
- Freedom Wars (Downloaded PSN version)
- God Eater Resurrection (Downloaded PSN version)
- Trails of Cold Steel 2 (Downloaded PSN version)

All games are original bought versions, no backups (European versions).
It looks it solved the problem with some games (e.g. Atelier Shallie Plus wasn't working before). It seems a few games are still not working with it.
Interesting is, that the other Atelier and the SAO game are older than some other of the same franchise that are actually working.

Another thing I have tried:
Creating the VSH config file manually (the one that is created for the VSH settings per game) and check if the issue lies there.
I set it up for SAO: HR and tried to increase the clock speed manually but I don't see any difference. It seems the VSH is not connecting to those games at all.

I hope this is some helpful data for you.

Honestly not sure why some games don't work. I don't think its a problem with just this plugin but others as well. Can you confirmed that other plugins also don't run on these games? (The ones that blit on the screen at least)

demonXcore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Honestly not sure why some games don't work. I don't think its a problem with just this plugin but others as well. Can you confirmed that other plugins also don't run on these games? (The ones that blit on the screen at least)

Okay, so I have tried a few more things.
1) Make a clean install of 2.1v VSH menu --> No change
2) Use 1.1v --> No change
3) Remove VSH completely and try the oclockvita plugin --> worked
(of course, I cannot set *ALL for this one but I also tried that for VSH menu and it didn't make a difference)

Tested game: Atelier Esha & Logy Plus (see screenshot)

2018-07-09-163637.jpg

As oclockvita is another screen overlay plugin, I used it to test if it's really the game itself. But that plugin is working.
I'm not sure what reason makes VSH menu to not work with the above mentioned games.

EDIT:
I can confirm the other games to work as well with oclockvita.

Last edited by demonXcore,

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I have tried a few more things.
1) Make a clean install of 2.1v VSH menu --> No change
2) Use 1.1v --> No change
3) Remove VSH completely and try the oclockvita plugin --> worked
(of course, I cannot set *ALL for this one but I also tried that for VSH menu and it didn't make a difference)

Tested game: Atelier Esha & Logy Plus (see screenshot)

View attachment 135084

As oclockvita is another screen overlay plugin, I used it to test if it's really the game itself. But that plugin is working.
I'm not sure what reason makes VSH menu to not work with the above mentioned games.

EDIT:
I can confirm the other games to work as well with oclockvita.

If anything the reason why oclockvita actually works on other games is because it doesn't touch any external files/config files at all. Unlike VSH which allows each game to store a separate config (allowing you to maintain a different clock state for each titleID). The thing with this is that SceIo* functions need to be patched so that it can be used in games. This is where the problem relies. Basically, if I remove all the config stuff and have VSH Menu manage no config files at all, it will work fine just like oclockvita, but the annoying thing is whatever you set in VSH will always be reset once you open a different game.

Does oclock work vita 3.61+ games?

demonXcore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If anything the reason why oclockvita actually works on other games is because it doesn't touch any external files/config files at all. Unlike VSH which allows each game to store a separate config (allowing you to maintain a different clock state for each titleID). The thing with this is that SceIo* functions need to be patched so that it can be used in games. This is where the problem relies. Basically, if I remove all the config stuff and have VSH Menu manage no config files at all, it will work fine just like oclockvita, but the annoying thing is whatever you set in VSH will always be reset once you open a different game.

Does oclock work vita 3.61+ games?

I have tested it with Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization (EUR) [PCSB00972] which requires version 3.65 and it worked. The overclocking was also clearly noticable.
I have also tested Valkyria Revolution (EUR) [PCSB01090] which is also 3.61+

I assume it works because of the reason you explained and that it doesn't try to access any external files.

Btw, nonpdrm plugin works with all my games and creates files in nonpdrm/license for all of my games. Not sure if the way of access is the same or similar.

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have tested it with Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization (EUR) [PCSB00972] which requires version 3.65 and it worked. The overclocking was also clearly noticable.
I have also tested Valkyria Revolution (EUR) [PCSB01090] which is also 3.61+

I assume it works because of the reason you explained and that it doesn't try to access any external files.

Btw, nonpdrm plugin works with all my games and creates files in nonpdrm/license for all of my games. Not sure if the way of access is the same or similar.

Could you try the attached zip https://github.com/joel16/PSV-VSH-Menu/tree/gh-pages ? I'm moving away from KUIO and allowing the kernel module to load the vsh usermode plugin directly. I doubt this will fix the issue with 3.61+ games but this may improve or fix issues with the other games. You need to put both vsh.skprx and vsh.suprx in the ux0:tai folder.

Also you don't need to list vsh.suprx in *ALL anymore so remove that and use the following:

Code:
*KERNEL
ux0:tai/vsh.skprx

Attachments

• vsh.zip
    16.4 KB · Views: 259
Last edited by Joel16,

demonXcore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Could you try the attached zip ? I'm moving away from KUIO and allowing the kernel module to load the vsh usermode plugin directly. I doubt this will fix the issue with 3.61+ games but this may improve or fix issues with the other games. You need to put both vsh.skprx and vsh.suprx in the ux0:tai folder.

Also you don't need to list vsh.suprx in *ALL anymore so remove that and use the following:

Code:
*KERNEL

Tried and running into the same issues. The VSH itself works in the same games as above but still doesn't work for the same problematic games.

Very stupid question, but might the issue be the button combination? oclockvita is using SELECT + UP / SELECT + DOWN to work.
Maybe some games have a certain combination or whatever fixed into the programming for whatever reason (I obviously have no idea tbh)

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried and running into the same issues. The VSH itself works in the same games as above but still doesn't work for the same problematic games.

Very stupid question, but might the issue be the button combination? oclockvita is using SELECT + UP / SELECT + DOWN to work.
Maybe some games have a certain combination or whatever fixed into the programming for whatever reason (I obviously have no idea tbh)

No, button combination definitely can't be it. The plugin is overriding whatever is being pressed. Anyways, just to make sure by "doesn't work" are you saying it just doesn't show up? or it does show up but you can't change anything? Anyways it definitely seems to be a problem with patching SceIo. If it wasn't for the config files it would work just fine like oclock, but this is VSH's main feature. I'll try to look into it.

demonXcore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, button combination definitely can't be it. The plugin is overriding whatever is being pressed. Anyways, just to make sure by "doesn't work" are you saying it just doesn't show up? or it does show up but you can't change anything? Anyways it definitely seems to be a problem with patching SceIo. If it wasn't for the config files it would work just fine like oclock, but this is VSH's main feature. I'll try to look into it.

It's not showing up at all for those 7 games above. Pressing the button combination doesn't do anything apart from interacting within the game.
And as I said above, manually creating the config for those games also didn't help.

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not showing up at all for those 7 games above. Pressing the button combination doesn't do anything apart from interacting within the game.
And as I said above, manually creating the config for those games also didn't help.

So I think I may have finally fixed it for 3.61+ games. We have a problem however, this doesn't seem to work on homebrew. For some homebrew it results in a hard crash and for others it just doesn't show up. Anyways I'd like you to test this on the games you told me about earlier.

Installations is pretty simple:

1) Put both vsh.suprx and vsh.skprx from the attached zip into ux0:tai folder.
2) Add the following:
Code:
*KERNEL
3) Go into henkaku settings -> reset tai config -> reboot. Press L + R + Start.

This should fix the issue on games. Like I said earlier some homebrews (including vitashell) will crash, but I've added a little 'emergency exit' button where if you hold the select button while loading these homebrews it won't load the plugin and therefore not crash. If anyone can test this on games they had difficulties with please let me know if it works now.

Attachments

• vsh.zip
    16.8 KB · Views: 245
Reactions: Madridi

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
@Joel16
By 3.61+ games, do you mean the list above that was determined not to be working? Or is that still another issue?

I ask because I have “Trails of Cold Steel 2” as well, and I can confirm that the plugin did not work, it I can also confirm the game running on 3.60 so it can’t be a 3.61+ game.

PS: How are ya doing? :)

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Joel16
By 3.61+ games, do you mean the list above that was determined not to be working? Or is that still another issue?

I ask because I have “Trails of Cold Steel 2” as well, and I can confirm that the plugin did not work, it I can also confirm the game running on 3.60 so it can’t be a 3.61+ game.

PS: How are ya doing? :)

Ah, by 3.61+ I meant any game that was deemed not to be working including that list above. Did you follow the steps like I said? (Because kernel plugins do need a reboot.) The reason I'm asking for tests is because Secrets of Mana (3.61+ game) wasn't working previously but it is working for me now. If anyone can confirm if compatibility (with games) has been improved with the above attached copy please let me know.

PS. I'm good, do you still hang around any discord channels?

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Ah, by 3.61+ I meant any game that was deemed not to be working including that list above. Did you follow the steps like I said? (Because kernel plugins do need a reboot.) The reason I'm asking for tests is because Secrets of Mana (3.61+ game) wasn't working previously but it is working for me now. If anyone can confirm if compatibility (with games) has been improved with the above attached copy please let me know.

PS. I'm good, do you still hang around any discord channels?
Oh no I think you misunderstood. I didn’t mean this release. I haven’t tested it yet (in fact i’m in bed lol). I am just confirming that one of the games mentioned before were indeed problematic.

Cool, so I will test it tomorrow and report back, if @demonXcore doesn’t beat me to it.

PS. I’m really only in “that one” server, and not a whole lot active. I haven’t seen you in such a long time on there, did you leave?

Reactions: Joel16

ShroomKing

Somebody
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, can't confirm or deny it increasing compatibility but i can say for sure that it prevents my 3.65 vita from booting. (the kprx is patching 3.60 offsets i assume?)

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, can't confirm or deny it increasing compatibility but i can say for sure that it prevents my 3.65 vita from booting. (the kprx is patching 3.60 offsets i assume?)
Weird, and no it's not patching any offsets really. It's just loading a usermode plugin (VSH.suprx)

The usermode plugin no longer batches the buttons like it did before but instead spaws a thread that runs the VSH menu. That fixed the issue for me, with secrets of mana.

Anyways about your vita not booting are you using SD2vita or one of those adapter things?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo