Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
so basically , games for the XBOX 360 or PSP that are JRPG style .
'Tales of' games and the Star Ocean series comes to mind for this style of game .

i am looking for those kind of games that have already been released at NA , so there won't be a need for a translation patch of some sort .
recommend me some
biggrin.gif

i am planning on buying:
- Resonance of Fate
- Star Ocean: The Last Hope
- possibly Star Ocean games for PSP

stuff i already have:
- Tales of Vesperia
- Final Fantasy XIII

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want JRPG and 360, go Lost Odyssey all the way. It may not have the official title, but it (in spirit) is the real final fantasy of current-gens.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
360:
-Resonance of Fate is definitely a good choice
-I really dunno about Star Ocean: TLH. I bought it day one, and gave up on it pretty quickly...couldn't get into it. *shrug* I should try again some time.

-Nier. Easily my second favorite 360 jRPG (second only to Vesperia). The graphics aren't amazing, and the gameplay isn't super innovative or difficult, but it's still a fun action RPG. However its soundtrack is godlike, and the characters/story are very well done. I love the main characters and their stories. The main story is also very good, once you finish the game and all of its endings. You have to play through it 4 times to get every ending. The second playthrough also adds a bunch of focus on Kaine and her past while going through the game. The first playthrough is a little confusing though, and it doesn't answer a lot. People tend to dislike the game because they only play through once and don't understand the story.
EDIT: My review of Nier

-Lost Odyssey is alright, but the combat is brutal. It's so boring and easy after a while. You essentially just get a pattern and stick with it until you get a better pattern to use.

-Eternal Sonata is great, especially if you're a band geek. All the musical references are funny, and awesome. Combat is very fun, though it gets very easy near the end of the game.

-Enchanted Arms. It recieves a lot of hate, but I enjoyed it. The story is average, and the voice acting for some characters is...annoying at times, but the combat is really fun and I enjoyed it. it's amazingly cheap too. Bargain bin game, it's very old.

-The Last Remnant. I only suggest this because it's a bargain bin game. The combat is somewhat unique but I found it annoying. The story is average at best. Nice graphics though.

-Devil May Cry 4. I dunno if it's technically considered an action RPG? I've seen it slapped with tons of titles. Anyways, if you for some reason haven't checked it out by now, do so. It's incredibly fun.

-Bayonetta. Same thing as DMC4. Not sure if it's considered an actionRPG, but regardless...very fun, and the story is hilarious.

PSP:

-Persona 3 portable
-FF7: Crisis Core. Unlike FF7, crisis core had quite the story, since they kept it simple and made it all about Zack, who is an awesome character.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
oh , and on PS3 , are there any RPG games that are must have that were released in NA that aren't on the xbox ?

The Last Remnant , one of those meh games . i saw gameplay , and it doesn't seem like much of my type . Eternal Sonata , YES that game , but by any chance do the voices get "annoying" ? it seems like a pain and a little bit , "childish" . Lost Odyssey , now that's a game i'd be interested in , reminds me a bit of Dragon Age Origins [well just because you can "create" your own character i guess] . Enchanted Arms , i saw at Staples going for $20 . i was so close of getting it , but decided to search up gameplay first . it seems alright , but i might not last .

i have Devil May Cry 4
biggrin.gif
. good game , though i haven't beaten it yet , i took a break after trying Final Fantasy XIII again and got addicted to it
tongue.gif
. Bayonetta , i might consider it , if i ever beat DMC4 x] .

i will check those PSP games later , you guys got a huge list . i saw Crisis Core going for $20 over at Gamestop used , though i was a little nervous whether i should've gotten it or not . i decided not to , not because of the fact that i can load ISOs on my PSP , but because it seemed pricey for a used game . it must be that good , or just the franchise name that makes it @ that price .

Resonance of Fate for $30 @ Amazon.ca , time to buy that ! i heard Star Ocean had similar gameplay to Tales of Vesperia , but their characters seems pretty bizarre to me xD .

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahhh there are sooo many!
Valkyrie Profile - Lenneth and Jeanne d'Arc for the PSP are the first that come into my mind!
Sadly.... I dont have a PSP.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Star ocean TLH has combat...similar to a Tales game.
But it basically feels like the beat the Tales combat system with a stick and dragged its bloody carcass into their game. I hated the feel of the combat system comparatively, and I think that's why it killed the game for me.

I never had a problem with Eternal Sonata's voice acting in the least.
Since you seem to have a PS3, I suggest Eternal Sonata for it. When they ported it over, apparently they added content. Though, it's more expensive since it's newer.

You should be able to find Enchanted Arms for $5 at a store more catered to videogames, like EBgames or blockbuster.
Crisis Core for $20 used sounds right enough for a Squeenix game. Well worth it though, I paid $40 or so and easily got my moneys worth.

Pulling a few selective games from my To-Get-PS3-RPG list...uh
Valkyria Chronicles. Yeah, that's about all I can find that you'd probably be even remotely interested in. The other RPGs on my list are...questionable at best, ahah.

Oh, and Demon's Souls. If you don't own it already. (I can't see why someone would own a PS3 and not demon's souls though)
Demon's Souls is the reasons I bought my PS3, and I was not disappointed. Mostly, anyways. The game has a few quirks, and some of the "difficulty" is just flat out from bad or annoying programming, but otherwise it's good.
There's a boss that made me want to kill the developers. I'm a pure melee character, and this fucker is weak to magic. Not only is he weak to magic, but this dude lumbers around like a giant flaming gorilla and just doesn't EVER seem to stop attacking. So for a mage, they can hide behind a pillar and shoot spells and the idiot would get stuck and never get to 'em. Ditto for archers...but poor little melee. Basically what happens is after he's down about 3/4 of his HP he's flaming so much he looks like the fucking sun, and he just endlessly onslaughts you with a fire explosion move that can easily break your guard and do 2/3 of your HP in a single hit.
Almost broke my ****ing controller with my forehead every time i'd get the boss down 3/4 and he'd just insta-r*pe me with his cheap ass fireblast move.

Fuck you flamelurker, fuck you.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i never bought a ps3 ... yet . i am yet to buy it , since i have to save my own money . instead , i bought Resonance of Fate for now , and by the time i get news on a new "Tales of" game being localized , i should have enough money for a PS3
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: 4th wife