Hacking [Release] 3DSafe: In-NAND PIN lock for 3DS

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You're attempting to allocate ~492 KB on the stack.... If you check out Luma3DS's splash screen code ... it loads the splash screen files directly into the framebuffer.
Thanks again for this hint. In the end I did this. Basically there's a fast drawing method which is for fullscreen images, which loads the whole image data directly to the framebuffer. If the image is smaller than the whole screen, then it's loaded directly to the framebuffer line by line so that it can be repositioned within the framebuffer (to allow x/y coordinate positions).

Drawing fullscreen images is considerably faster than it was before, as is drawing smaller images. It also, of course, now deals with images of any size without the width having to be a multiple of the column width I was reading in before.

Thanks again!

A_Bricked_Guy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, i've been looking for a PIN system like this since even before buying my N3DSXL, and got very excited when Luma implemented it, but it didn't really make the console that safe. I think this one is almost perfect, and since this is all for the security of our sacred consoles, I've got an idea that would make our expensive 3DS's even safer, and I think will give 3DSafe a very important point to be installed on every console (I have no idea about the technical details behind, hopefully it is feasible):

-Ability to make notes on the bottom screen: We could just lose our console and not getting it robbed, and hopefully someone with the willing to return it finds it (anyway they can't do much with the console thanks to the lock), a customizable bottom screen allows us to have permanent owner's information (such as name and phone number) burned at the bottom screen unless it gets back to its original owner, so that wherever the console ends, it will have our prints on it, well, you get all this is able to do.

Please i'd like to know if this is possible and whether you are willing to do it, anyway, enjoying it as it is, nice work :yay3ds:

Reactions: xyxa

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Hi, i've been looking for a PIN system like this since even before buying my N3DSXL, and got very excited when Luma implemented it, but it didn't really make the console that safe. I think this one is almost perfect, and since this is all for the security of our sacred consoles, I've got an idea that would make our expensive 3DS's even safer, and I think will give 3DSafe a very important point to be installed on every console (I have no idea about the technical details behind, hopefully it is feasible):

-Ability to make notes on the bottom screen: We could just lose our console and not getting it robbed, and hopefully someone with the willing to return it finds it (anyway they can't do much with the console thanks to the lock), a customizable bottom screen allows us to have permanent owner's information (such as name and phone number) burned at the bottom screen unless it gets back to its original owner, so that wherever the console ends, it will have our prints on it, well, you get all this is able to do.

Please i'd like to know if this is possible and whether you are willing to do it, anyway, enjoying it as it is, nice work :yay3ds:
i mentioned this earlier in the thread (or it may have been the one where this project started) but mashers said he will look into it, from the past few posts it may be that we may get the ability to add our own top screen logo, in which case we could put any message we want up there i.e contact info etc

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The old release let me just boot from a .cfg file without anything being installed to the nand. I dont want to risk anything, and i am not using the buggy as all hell luma 6.0. can is there just a custom payload?

ghostpotato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this has been asked before and whether or not it's feasible, but is it possible to use this with AuroraWright's fork of A9LH (i.e. add/edit/delete the necessary files), or would I be better off switching to ShadowNAND to use this?

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't really make any difference which A9LH payload this is based on. I only chose ShadowNAND because it's small.
Would it be possible to release a version without shadownand? I read in a thread earlier today that one side effect of shadownand is that if you boot your 3ds without the sd card, then reboot with it inserted after, it re-wraps all your apps into the present icon. With the amount of icons I have on my 3ds, this would be REALLY annoying.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Would it be possible to release a version without shadownand? I read in a thread earlier today that one side effect of shadownand is that if you boot your 3ds without the sd card, then reboot with it inserted after, it re-wraps all your apps into the present icon. With the amount of icons I have on my 3ds, this would be REALLY annoying.
That won't be a problem since 3DSafe doesn't support booting without SD card.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Now that I've got image display working on both screens, I can do this :D

lost.png

The message is just an image displayed on the bottom screen so you can put anything there. It automatically checks for a file in NAND called 3dsafelost.bin, and if it's there it displays it on the bottom screen. I'm going to add some more images to pretty up the whole thing, and then add a function which checks for the presence of those files on SD, and if they're there it will offer to move them to NAND.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
No, it uses the buttons. I don't know if A9LH has access to the touch screen.
Yeah, that makes sense!!
Great adding the contact details. If the PIN length is variable I might install this with like 2 buttons as the PIN so easy to remember, but be able to show contact details if it's lost.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, that makes sense!!
Great adding the contact details. If the PIN length is variable I might install this with like 2 buttons as the PIN so easy to remember, but be able to show contact details if it's lost.
Yep, the PIN length can be as little as one character :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Graphical options screen :)

IMG_0022.JPG

By the way, these graphics screens will all be made available in the release simultaneously. Once I've done them all, I need to add a user-friendly way of converting PNGs to rotated bin files and installing them to NAND. That will probably be a separate homebrew app rather than integrated into 3DSafe as the PNG library is much too big to fit inside an A9LH payload.

capito27

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
No, it uses the buttons. I don't know if A9LH has access to the touch screen.
as far as i know, the touch screen is far from being initialized at a9lh run time, so no, a9lh in itself doesn't have access to it, but you could always try and initialize it manually, i have not clue how you would go about doing that tho.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
mostly just nitpicking, but I thought the otp.bin filename doesn't need to be lowercase, as FAT32 isn't case-sensitive.
I tried it in upper case, but it wouldn't find the file. I think fatfs uses string comparison to check if files exist or something, so if the case doesn't match it thinks the file doesn't exist.

Demnyx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
thats a very good app , nice work !
but , if i have a9lh , so if i install 3dsafe , it will change it to shadownand ?

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thats a very good app , nice work !
but , if i have a9lh , so if i install 3dsafe , it will change it to shadownand ?
Thanks! It will change your A9LH payload (the part in NAND) to 3DSafe which is based (loosely now) on ShadowNAND, but whatever payload you have at /arm9loaderhax.bin on your SD card will be booted after entering the PIN. So if you are using Luma or any other CFW, it will still be your CFW.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: ok