Homebrew [RELEASE] Aroma Environment for Wii U

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you may only need to use wuhbtool, not sure. wut and wut tools are used to compile a lot of things for the wiiu. you can probably get both with pacman -S wiiu-dev . I've compiled cores for retroarch before, but there's a mistake in the make file that causes it not to turn the core into an rpx. you can do it manually though, so it's no big deal really.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, you can also make wps files by installing wiiu plugin system. that's what it stands for. it's on the root of my devkitpro folder, and I was able to build one without a problem.

vgmoose

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
@vgmoose how difficult was it to add the WUHB target for the App store for full Aroma compatibility?
How easy/difficult would it be to add such target to RetroArch and Loadiine?
The actual act of creating a wuhb (via makefile) involves updating to a more recent WUT, and adding a few lines to the makefile:
- new wuhb build target (this invokes wuhbtool on the rpx after it's created)
- specifying image assets (without these, I found wuhbtool would not be called)

It should be relatively doable, as long as the code is buildable on the latest wut version.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good Morning,my dear Sir.😊
@Alexander1970 Can't recreate your issue. Make sure your LAN cable is good (CAT >= what your network needs, shielded, ...), please.

Wifi isn't stable but even if it where a cable connection is always preferred. Why? Well:
  • Cable is always faster
  • Rount trip time
  • Other WiFi networks interferring with yours
It seems the Wii U USB "Power Supply Devil" has tricked me....

I had the WD Elements HDD connected with an 1xUSB Cable...
That affected the USB LAN Adapter too in some "Moments"...:sad:

I have corrected the "Setup" and everything works fine now....😉👌

IMG_20220919_072533.jpg IMG_20220919_072539.jpg

Thank you and have a very nice Day,Sir.😉

Reactions: jeannotte

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Aren't wut and wut-tools already dependencies for compiling RetroArch?
If that's so, then perhaps only updating them and creating the WUHB target should be enough, wouldn't it?
Sadly no. RetroArch is an .elf homebrew but you need a .rpx. Porting from .elf to .rpx is a lot of work, esp on such a beast like RetroArch.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sadly no. RetroArch is an .elf homebrew but you need a .rpx. Porting from .elf to .rpx is a lot of work, esp on such a beast like RetroArch.
RetroArch dropped ELF support since forever, they've been using RPX for all their cores and the main apps for years now.
So most likely it'd only be the conversion of the RPX to WUHB with the proper image assets.

I opened up an issue about it on the RetroArch GitHub:
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/14429

If anyone with the proper expertise wants to give it a shot, please :P

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's an idea for an Aroma module, not sure if it's feasible or not, but would be pretty cool to see the Wii U able to output audio via bluetooth. Is that possible, or beyond Wii U capabilities even hacked out to the point that it is?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Here's an idea for an Aroma module, not sure if it's feasible or not, but would be pretty cool to see the Wii U able to output audio via bluetooth. Is that possible, or beyond Wii U capabilities even hacked out to the point that it is?

Hey Mika, don't know if you saw, but Aroma just updated to Beta 4 and adds SDcafiine support.
Do you happen to know if the themes from your thread can be loaded with the plugin from boot?

Reactions: Alexander1970

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Mika, don't know if you saw, but Aroma just updated to Beta 4 and adds SDcafiine support.
Do you happen to know if the themes from your thread can be loaded with the plugin from boot?
Have no idea. Haven't even touched Aroma yet honestly. I'm keeping an eye on it though, once it has more going for it than what it's lost (for me anyway) from Tiramisu, then I'll start to actually look into the workarounds/new means to accomplish things inherently lost from previous environments.

tehrzky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
RetroArch dropped ELF support since forever, they've been using RPX for all their cores and the main apps for years now.
So most likely it'd only be the conversion of the RPX to WUHB with the proper image assets.

I opened up an issue about it on the RetroArch GitHub:
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/14429

If anyone with the proper expertise wants to give it a shot, please :P
someone on fb wiiu groups made a retroarch core for aroma.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

tehrzky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Could you repost it here, please?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/wiiwiiumodders/permalink/1319396225463634/

"2 Cores done and latest retroarch all packaged up should contain all cores inside it however as for the 2 cores i did package up are snes9x and picodrive i will do more although retroarch is just a place holder until i finish doing all cores
The retroarch file hasn't finished uploading yet though but 2 cores are availablefor testing i placed in a folder so all you do is drop the folder in sd/wiiu/apps

Please don't use the retroarch core its self it will freeze your Wii U on boot the picodrive core is fine but you can't quit the app without freeze"

He also port some of the open source games like sonic.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
https://www.facebook.com/groups/wiiwiiumodders/permalink/1319396225463634/

"2 Cores done and latest retroarch all packaged up should contain all cores inside it however as for the 2 cores i did package up are snes9x and picodrive i will do more although retroarch is just a place holder until i finish doing all cores
The retroarch file hasn't finished uploading yet though but 2 cores are availablefor testing i placed in a folder so all you do is drop the folder in sd/wiiu/apps

Please don't use the retroarch core its self it will freeze your Wii U on boot the picodrive core is fine but you can't quit the app without freeze"

He also port some of the open source games like sonic.

So the main RetroArch one doesn't work?
What happens when you load a game from a different core?
I'm hoping for just the main RetroArch app from which you can load your games and other cores.
Though having different per-system cores/apps is fine too, but only having the main RA one would be ideal.

The Sonic ones sound cool too.

Sowden

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey @Maschell, thanks so much for the wonderful firmware. I haven't gone to Tismue because I really loved the look of my CBHC. But I have been playing around with it today and I have a couple of questions.

First I wonder about the sdcard in my console. I haven't used Tismue at all before, so I'm wondering if it's dangerous to turn it on without it popped in since I am currently using Aroma on coldboot.

Next I'm wondering about the WUP installers. Either it's NUSspil or WUP Installer GX with it's new wuhb format. I can try to install a game from NUSspil or use WUP GX, I can't install anything with either of them to my NAND or my external USB drive. It gives me a "Files are corrupt" or "Verify if WUP files are correct & complete" And that rangers from games to old WUP forwarders. I can go into Tismue and install games to my drive without a problem. But I get back into Aroua and the game gives the "This software cannot be used" message. Is this a problem with anyone else? Is this something that's being worked on?

Last Edit: Someone later on helped to solve my problem. All I needed to do was copy "01_sigpatches.rpx" from my Tiramisu Setup folder to my Aroua Setup folder. Mine was missing and it solved my problem.

And lastly, this might not even be on Aroua, it might be the developers. Do I have installed all of my old Wii U apps on my sdcard. But I have about three that either crash on leaving or loops it's menu loading screen. Controllertest and Wii-U-Shell both hang on a loop on a loading screen. And The App Store crashes right as you leave. Are any of these things being worked on?

But I really do love the environment. The plugins running in the background at all times, SDCariine just got supported, Amiibo emulation. I mean there are some really cool thk he running with this. And I can't wait to see where it goes next.

Edit: and then something else to tag on. I am using the FTPiiU plugin app and its working great on my phone. However if I hop on my computer, using Total Commander I am able to login to the server, but it forever sits on "Download" I am using the same exact information my phone is using (thats also using Total Commander actualy). Anyone else have problems like this? Thanks.

Edit 2: Yeah yeah, I know I should stop. But one more thing. I don't know if this is possible, but I am wondering if this could even be done. To make a plugin that runs a rpx or wuhb on boot? Because I know that a rpx sign_c2w_patcher is coming. It would be nice to have a plugin that would start that on boot that we could turn on or off. Alright, I'll stop now.

Last edited by Sowden,

Sowden

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
i always got the error 150-3030 and it was gone after deleting all installed apps from the wii u internal memory. No idea why. Tiramisu was always booting fine. The error should be related to a write protected sd card (from google) but nether an sd card change, formatting or recopying the files helped. The japanese nintendo help site states that it could be an error with an connected device, but i had no usb device connected. Hope it helps someone.
Thanks for the work!
Say dude, I just ran into this problem myself and I solved it. I am using a 32GB micro sdcard in a fullsize adapter as my main card. I was able to copy files from my computer to my card, but my Wii U would give me a error 150-3030 when I tired to run something. It turned out that I had accidentally flipped the write protection switch on my fullsized card adapter. Flipped it back and Aroma was back to its full glory. Hope that helps someome out with the same problem.

Reactions: jeannotte

vgmoose

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
doesnt retroarch allocate roms to an area already occupied by aroma ?? and therefore wont work?
Maschell said this on RA in the Aroma discord:
Retroarch currently loads a core by loading into a special area in the memory and then using some old HBL magic to launch it. With aroma we can't use this region, because it's reserved for aroma and it's plugins. You can load a .rpx via Aroma though, Mocha_LaunchRPX is too "low" level, but librxpload (https://github.com/wiiu-env/librpxloader) could be extended to load a different .rpx which is inside the .wuhb.
That makes is sound like RA could be one main wuhb, and then still separate rpx's for the different cores loaded using librpxloader.

I did starting trying to look at the Makefile/RA compiling process to try to see how these enhancements would be added, but it's kind of outside my skillset. Hopefully the above is useful info to anyone working on it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k