Homebrew [Release]JK's SaveManager - Homebrew CIA Save manager.

• Thread starter JK_
  • Start date
  • Views 1,838,310
  • Replies 3,680
  • Likes 243

JK_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you make YYYY-MM-DD@HH-MM and YYYY-DD-MM@HH-MM instead? That makes more sense because using your current naming conventions will mean, a year from now, our save backups will mix with our old ones. Eg. 01-01-2017 will come after 01-01-2016 and before 01-02-2016.
Here's an example

I've already encountered this issue with the way nVidia's Shadowplay names its files...
Ok. I'll switch it.

source code update?
I'll make up a quick example for how to open the archives sometime soon. Everything else is pretty standard stuff.

Michierusama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you make YYYY-MM-DD@HH-MM and YYYY-DD-MM@HH-MM instead? That makes more sense because using your current naming conventions will mean, a year from now, our save backups will mix with our old ones. Eg. 01-01-2017 will come after 01-01-2016 and before 01-02-2016.
Here's an example

I've already encountered this issue with the way nVidia's Shadowplay names its files...

And if you sort by date in windows, will you still get that mixture of folders? if the folder was created a year from the 2016 one then they will have different dates and they won't mix up I think.

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And if you sort by date in windows, will you still get that mixture of folders? if the folder was created a year from the 2016 one then they will have different dates and they won't mix up I think.
I don't think the 3DS sorts by date though, which is half of my concern. The other half is simply that sorting by name is more practical because if you were to modify a file (eg. using Pkhex) that file will appear as the most recent item if sorting by date.

Reactions: Michierusama

Michierusama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think the 3DS sorts by date though, which is half of my concern. The other half is simply that sorting by name is more practical because if you were to modify a file (eg. using Pkhex) that file will appear as the most recent item if sorting by date.
Oh I see then that will be better in this case.

OMenor

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello ! And congratulation to jK_ for what seems to be a GREAT tool... that I'm going to check ASAP !

I read all this thread and I wonder if this tool will be useful in this scenario : One 3ds, 2 (or more) players that want to have their own saves (to avoid saves overwriting by other player, or discover items or success they don't already achieved themselves, or game levels they did not unlock themselves, ...).
I'm thinking about 3ds shared between brothers and sisters, or kids and parents, etc...

It would be perfect to be able to store backups under a personal "saves profile" for each player : I launch SaveManager and select "Player1" context, then backup and restore only apply to MY context (a "Player1" subfolder under /JKSM in fact), from or to the 3ds "real" saves folders. When I want to use the 3ds, I launch jK's SaveManager and select "Player1" context to restore the backup(s) I need. After playing, same thing but to backup instead of restore. Then, when Player2 (let's say my kid) needs to play, he makes the same using "Player2" context.

It would be great if we could backup & restore in a context every saves at once, but an elegant solution needs to be found to avoid inconsistencies in situation where Player1 and Player2 don't share the same number of saves (Player1 never played gameA but Player2 did, for example), but this would also be a great "user friendly" features for this SaveManager !

Thank you again jK for your work !

Last edited by OMenor,

OMenor

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@OMenor that's literally the entire point of this application lol. Just name your save backups Player1 and Player2 and you're all set.

Yes, I downloaded JKSM half an hour ago and made my mind about that. In this thread, I only read about keeping saves safe and importing saves from "outside", but no one (I think) ask for multiuser pupose. In fact, I suppose I am looking for a more "kids friendly" tool : I can manage my backups and restores by myself with JK's SaveManager, of course, but I won't ask this to my kids.
I've got a clear idea of a program that would allow what I seek but I don't code myself... need to learn on 3ds, I suppose ! :D

Here are some features I think could improve JK's Save Manager:
Allow to "full save" instead of single "Save" or "ExtData" export
Allow for time "YYYYMMDDHHMM" text chain shortcut (allow for strict alphabeticaly sort = time sort, very common in logfile names, time index, ...)
Allow to specify a template chain to automatically generate saves filenames based on date & time, game title, game id,...

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, I downloaded JKSM half an hour ago and made my mind about that. In this thread, I only read about keeping saves safe and importing saves from "outside", but no one (I think) ask for multiuser pupose. In fact, I suppose I am looking for a more "kids friendly" tool : I can manage my backups and restores by myself with JK's SaveManager, of course, but I won't ask this to my kids.
I've got a clear idea of a program that would allow what I seek but I don't code myself... need to learn on 3ds, I suppose ! :D

Here are some features I think could improve JK's Save Manager:
Allow to "full save" instead of single "Save" or "ExtData" export
Allow for time "YYYYMMDDHHMM" text chain shortcut (allow for strict alphabeticaly sort = time sort, very common in logfile names, time index, ...)
Allow to specify a template chain to automatically generate saves filenames based on date & time, game title, game id,...
The date+time naming convention has already been implemented and will be in the next update, as you can see from my and JK's posts a few posts back.
That naming convention makes your last request redundant as the saves are already sorted into separate folders for each game.

soetem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might be a dumb question but can I use this to dump a save from a Cia of one region and import it to the Cia of another region? I'm playing hyrule warriors and while it's in English apparently it's a Japanese cia. When the US version hits it will suck to start over seeing as how I actually want to purchase this game.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might be a dumb question but can I use this to dump a save from a Cia of one region and import it to the Cia of another region? I'm playing hyrule warriors and while it's in English apparently it's a Japanese cia. When the US version hits it will suck to start over seeing as how I actually want to purchase this game.
Yes require hex editing and or folder renaming or both

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
i just opened mine and i see "something went wrong"
but everything is ok.
dunno what up., this was for the old version

the new version look cool.

for the gateway saves,it's located inside the 3DS SD card,but i hope you can find a solution for it.

Last edited by aos10,

Februarysn0w

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I've just tried your beta update. I didn't know that the beta update has compatible with Japanese characters.
Thank you for support the Japanese characters. it's works flawlessly except the savedata which is saved to extdata but I don't care this because there is extdata dump tool though.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Would it be possible to add support for demo saves as well? I tried using this to back up my Bravely Default demo save but the demo didn't show up in the games list (just the BD uncensored game). While svdt works unfortunately the HBL cia is unstable on 10.6 cfw and will often load download play instead.

Ezehokadrim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would it be possible to add support for demo saves as well? I tried using this to back up my Bravely Default demo save but the demo didn't show up in the games list (just the BD uncensored game). While svdt works unfortunately the HBL cia is unstable on 10.6 cfw and will often load download play instead.
DId you use the hbloader 1.1 cia? Mine doesn't do that. Only tested two or three times though. Here's the link if you don't have 1.1: https://github.com/yellows8/hblauncher_loader/releases

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is anyone able to dump the save from a Puzzle and Dragons Z/Mario Puzzle and Dragons cartridge? It appears to get stuck on the last file. SVDT won't dump that file either.

Last edited by 9thSage,

DaBlackDeath

.::[ lone wolf ]::.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is anyone able to dump the save from a Puzzle and Dragons Z/Mario Puzzle and Dragons cartridge? It appears to get stuck on the last file. SVDT won't dump that file either.
This happened to me also (if only one savegame present). I had to play and save Dragon Z game. Now the game save are dumped fine.
SDF can dump the save perfect even there is only one save on cartridge.
That's why I asked jk for investigate the dump function and O3DS compatibility. I got some more games which I use only one save slot and jk's manager fails.
So I felt back to SaveDataFiler until a proper version is out.

JK_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Adding demos isn't a problem. I'll upload a newer build with it sometime this week.

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This happened to me also (if only one savegame present). I had to play and save Dragon Z game. Now the game save are dumped fine.
SDF can dump the save perfect even there is only one save on cartridge.
That's why I asked jk for investigate the dump function and O3DS compatibility. I got some more games which I use only one save slot and jk's manager fails.
So I felt back to SaveDataFiler until a proper version is out.
really now? That's really weird. Thanks though, I'll go do that! I overall like JK's app more than SDF so if I can use it I will. Going back and looking at Puzzle and Dragons Z I guess it sort of makes sense, it had to do some kind of save initialization for PDZ...still should have been able to dump it though probably.

veekay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this app (beta) starts up with the spinning circle and then freezes my 3ds. This is a N3ds on gateway 10.6

Older version gives a few something went wrong messages, but then does seem to work.

Last edited by veekay,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!