Religion. The Last Debate

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 28,148
  • Replies 428

Is there a God? Do you believe in God?

• Yes, there is a God. My reason is posted.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, there is no God. My reason is posted.

• There may or may not be a God. I'm not sure.

• Total voters

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depravo said:
Uncle FEFL said:
The universe is 6.72 billion years old
I thought the latest calculations had the age of the Universe at around 13 billion?

Haha, excuse me. Make that "13.72 billion," I have no idea where the hell that six came from!
frown.gif

Then Twain's mixing up definitions. To be dead means there had to be a living organism that came to an end of its biological life.

Also, Twain's comment (I was dead -> suffered no inconvenience), that is if he really meant it and wasn't just being whimsical and witty, seems to suggest he believed that mind exists independently of matter, mind-matter dualism.
Dude. It's TWAIN. The quote, although I'm not sure where it's from, is supposed to be meaningful. People give a word it's meaning, and in this sense, he used a connotation of "death" to mean "non-existence," since that's basically what death means, in a broad sense.

Rrego

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it seems that this debate has already been decided but Hell, I might as well say something.

No I don't believe in God. I still go to church(I'm Catholic) every Sunday with my parents so I'm not completely ignorant of the believes of Christians. In the society we have today, Religion is unnecessary and slows down progress. An all-powerful, loving, knowing deity sounds ridiculous to me.
The Bible has been interpreted by many people and everyone get something different out of it. The reason I believe they do is because the Bible completely contradicts itself. It is designed like so many religions to shut up and quell the masses. (Fear God, Don't test God).It is the excuse and start of many conflicts as well. Evolution and the big bang theory to me seem to be much better explanations.

Common Arguments:
1) Why do we wear clothes then: Because we follow the trends and actions of society
2)Pascal's Gambit: I find that this suggestion really doesn't matter because I wouldn't be able to make myself believe if I wanted too.
3)The Christian religion say to love one another: I would much rather believe in the human spirit than that of God. And many people actually do that.
etc.

I'm not saying having a religion is completely bad btw. Believing in God or other deityish things is fine if it gives you a reason to live and do good. Its just some interpretations of it promote hate (Godhatesfaqs by the great Westboro Baptist Church)

Oh shit... I got off topic.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canonbeat234 said:
I'm not going into FULL detail about why I type God does exist. However, I will type around 2-3 paragraphs to back-up my claim.

Sounds to me like you just needed some emotional counseling and a supportive environment (family etc).
I don't see why God was responsible for turning your life around...

That being said, as long as you're happy, well I'm happy for you mate
smile.gif

I don't have prejudice against religous persons, but I do sometimes question their.. hemm.. maybe.. weakness?

IMO a lot of people are religious because they're too weak to cope with the real world... And they haven't learned that it's just as easy if not easier to be happy without religion (provided you have various other needs satisfied).

I guess the only good thing about religion is that it can gives people who have nothing, something to hold on to.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Apparently one of the Popes Paedophile side kicks call the UK is a "Third World country" marked by "a new and aggressive atheism" which the Vatican said the cardinal had not intended "any kind of slight", and was referring to the UK's multicultural society.

Calling a county Third World just because of to its growing atheism and multicultural society, just goes to show how fucking backward and bigoted the Pope and his fucking pedos actually are. I'm proud of my country's growing so called aggressive atheism and multicultural society, so fuck the murdering Pope and all of his fucking kiddy fiddlers...

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While looking for something to eat, I decided to get spaghettios. I realized that Dora the Explorer was labeled on it (a children's TV show). Then I realized, religion is like this can of spaghettios, they use the image of God to sell religion.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
Does religion exist? It's a really tough question but here is what i think:
Yes religion DOES exist. Many people have established this in the first few pages of the thread as religion is a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny; "he lost his faith but not his morality".
BUT, does God exist?

There are many for and against in this topic.
1. Muslims believe that the Quran fell out of the sky. Uhh.. wtf?
2. Christians believe that the Bible was written by many people from different areas but what their story is in some way or another, the same and this has been proven.. I think.. (Uhh.. Flame me if you want, but a friend told me this...)
3. God is an almighty being. He supposedly created this world. We are very close to Global Warming. Why has he not done anything to fix it up? Does he not care anymore? Why do people still follow him? Put their faith in him? If you look back in time, he probably ditched us a long time ago.
The two ice ages. The wipeout of dinosaurs. The destruction of Pompeii.
and..
4. There are more believable theories than many religion out there.
Scientology? wtf? How could aliens fly a Boeing 747 in space? Even the Big Bang theory has more evidence to support this.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Late but whatever, the OP says this is open forever so I thought I might as well give my 2 cents.

If there would be such a thing as a God, who is omnipotent (which literally translates to being capable of doing everything), then why can't he/she/it push an immovable object?

That is all.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Overlord Nadrian said:
Late but whatever, the OP says this is open forever so I thought I might as well give my 2 cents.

If there would be such a thing as a God, who is omnipotent (which literally translates to being capable of doing everything), then why can't he/she/it push an immovable object?

That is all.
My arsehole is more omnipotent than he/she/it, because at least my arsehole can push out a turd.

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tanas said:
Overlord Nadrian said:

That is all.
My arsehole is more omnipotent than he/she/it, because at least my arsehole can push out a turd.
rofl.gif
I actually lol'd!

Bunie

#1 Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone who reads the bible with logic in mind knows that It's a fictional book written to make idiots feel better during hard times,

the god written about in it is a horrible person who deserves to be done away with.
sleep.gif

I am of course not stupid enough to beleive in such. Children beleive in santa because they are told to.
moogle.gif

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:
So you think debates are pointless? I don't get it.

I don't think he's implying debates are pointless. I think he's insinuating that faith is one of those things people don't change their mind in, regardless of stance. Especially not from some random 17 year olds paraphrasing of an AP philosophy course or a youtube video he saw of Dawkins.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a teenager on the internet. I am instantly qualified to tell everyone the right way to think.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill