• Likes 35

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My spacing turned out to be correct, then -- but just barely.

That'll do. Leave the "atomic clock" message untested for all I care -- the new font will guarantee it fits on the screen. Sounds like those savestates will be incredibly helpful.

Sorry to everyone about there still not being a beta 1 out. This is how fast I work during summer vacation. When school starts up it'll be even worse. :|

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I managed to get the the "Atomic Clock" message, but I'll just hold off posting it until you get the new patch with smaller text anyway (Plus my image host seems to be down for the moment). I've got it marked with a save state just before it loads, so when I get the new patch I can immediately view the "Atomic Clock" screen to verify position, spacing, etc. I'll probably do this for the Perfect certificates too, since those will become a pain very quickly otherwise.

A little protip for you other testers if you try to make save states - if you make a save state while the text is already displayed, you'll always get the same image even if you apply patches that should edit it. Eg, if you save the state on the "Words from Master" screen at the end of the first game in English, then switch to the Japanese ROM, loading the save state will still give you the English screen. Once you clear it, though, the ROM goes back to being Japanese. Experiment with the patched and unpatched ROM if you don't understand.

The moral of the story is to always put your save states right before whatever it is you want to view, so it'll load the latest translation.

Good luck with your classes W hat! We'll be here for when you're ready with the next beta!

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a hunch, and found two untranslated bits, though you might be aware of one or both.

ok.jpg

This shows up if you do well enough to avoid any of the "Try Again" phrases (The "Focus on the basics" phrase for Karate Man) but don't do well enough to get any of the praise ("One-two punches are great!" and "Nailed that last part!" for Karate Man). It probably says something like "Good enough", like in the Wii version.

But you probably already knew that.

butok.jpg

When you get some praise but not enough to get the "High" rank it appends the little grey text to the left of the "OK" rating (the "But still..." from the Wii version). It looks like it might be embedded as an image, though, which will make it a pain to fix.

Unlike the wii version, there does not appear to be any special text if you get both a "Try again" comment and a praise comment in the same run. (The Wii version has a "You almost had it!" phrase that shows what praise you earned despite failing)

I'm looking forward to the next patch, but don't push yourself! Make sure you take the time you need to focus on your school work first.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The second issue is, like you mention, an image. The first issue I did not know about and will fix in the next update.

paperycandy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, this game does have the "You did pretty well, keep trying!" message. Here's a a bad quality picture :P

http://imgur.com/D0fCW.jpg

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on board with both "zero" and "silver" as potential names.

Yeah, I only tried for the half-fail message on the first level, since it is the only one where I could read the dialogue. I've also been intentionally not playing the game, so I won't burn out before the beta testing. Once we get closer to testing out stuff like the perfect certificates, I'll have to go all in.

This is what I get on the clapping trio level right before Remix 1.

almost.jpg

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Papery: Yes, Fever translations are what I will use when possible. I went with "Karate Master" instead of "Karate Man" in Demo 0 but I can't remember why at all. Maybe because it says "Wisdom from the Master" at the end of the game? But I'm pretty sure that's what Fever says too. Either way it will be Man from now on.

My logic for "Silver" is found on the website. You're going to have to have a good reason for why it should be anything other than Silver.

I got the Atlas script working pretty well. All basic text can now be easily replaced. With this tool on my side, there's no roadblocks for a crappy translation. Images are still a problem, along with any other problems I mentioned.

I will have a beta posted by next Wednesday, August 22.

Cbajd5

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Awesome! I'm willing to help in anyway I can, I did a fan (Google) translation for Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii) before it came out in English officially if you don't know. About the name, I believe it should just be kept Rhythm Tengoku since that's what Nintendo's been sticking with in their English references to the game, which is basically the Iwata Asks stuff (http://rhythmheaven....com/iwata1.html). I think they also mentioned it in Nintendo Power a while ago about great GBA games that America didn't get, but I forget what they called it there.

Edit: Found the Nintendo Power thing, they called it Rhythm Tengoku there too. (http://earthboundcen.../08/npscan2.jpg)

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That nice! But if you ask me, I'd prefer it to be called Rhythm Heaven GBA, or Rhythm Heaven Classic, or Rhythm Heaven Advance. Now, as for the actual translation, could you also use the translations from the later games as a reference when translating the Japanese text? Sort of what it was done with the translation of Mother 3, to keep it in line with the original Earthbound. Another thing, You could also give the characters the names they're given in the official translations (the stage that you translated as Karate Master should be renamed as Karate Man, as he was called in the sequels).

Edit: I guess I was beaten to it with some most of the suggestions.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did a lot more work on the script. Updated the website. Still no beta but looking pretty good for my deadline of "by Wednesday, August 22."

I edited this note into my last post, but I don't think many people saw it.
My logic for "Silver" is found on the website. You're going to have to have a good reason for why it should be anything other than Silver.

Separated out font widths from the messy all-in-one ROM I had going (font hack + translation). This was required for compatibility with Atlas. Atlas works great with the script. I have also found out the format of the widths for special characters and will edit them tomorrow.

6JBnx.png

Closer and closer.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not yet. That's on the agenda for "after beta 1" or maybe even "after demo 1". (After all, the demos are intended to be hyper-polished versions of the betas.)

I didn't make a big deal about it, but when I mentioned I changed the website, I changed a lot of stuff on the website.
How to help
Project Updates

New screenshots in the original post.

edit 2

RRNAv.png

I have no idea how to make it work properly but the basic setup was already in the script.

edit 3
7UyKJ.png

Working. I have no idea where this font is stored. Probably compressed. But at least I can use it.

edit 4 - I'd really appreciate any save states that you all might have.

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://dl.dropbox.c...oku%20Saves.zip

Give it a few minutes because I just dropped it in my Dropbox.

I only have states for the rhythm test and "Superb" on the first game because without being able to read the scoring criteria, it's a pain in the butt to figure to figure out how to trigger different combinations of success and failure (The first game might be bugged too, I think I may have saved the state too late). I didn't make any other save states because I expected to play through the levels again to test the in-level text.

If you like, I can start working on sets of saves for all the "Superb" and "Try again" ratings for each of the games right now, if that saves you time. Just let me know what you'd like and I'll make it happen. Middling ratings will be more difficult, but if you tell me what I'm looking for I can also make it happen.

Edit: I'll whip you up a set of saves for all the "Fail", "Pass" and "Superb" states for the first six games. Give me just an hour or two to do that. I feel bad because I should have predicted you'd need that and in hindsight it would have been easy to do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQxCU5X7eB4