• Start date
  • Views 428,003
  • Replies 527
  • Likes 35

WatagiKankens

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I think I can make a fan site for the game, It would be nice for the fans to see the names of all the characters and stuff other than just playing the game with no idea what everyone and everything is. Just like I might make a guide book for earthbound zero so players won't be lost throughout the game (kinda like the guide book for earthbound) for example, so you will know to stay away from the psuedo zombies, there will be a newspaper like page saying psuedo zombies on the loose: be careful when talking to people in blue and showing a picture of the them. I was lost and didn't even know what to do first when I played it (the same for earthbound). but I think I should have posted that in another topic

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://dl.dropbox.c...0Column%201.zip

Just dropped it in the dropbox, so the link might take a bit to go live.

There are two folders included - each one contains 10 saves, which includes the "Fail", "Okay" and "Superb" endings for each game in column 1. It looks like some games might not give all the fail messages when you don't do anything - there might be fail messages missing from these (For example, I've included two different fail messages for Karate Man, which appear to be mutually exclusive). I've also included an example of a level giving the "Almost!" text when you fail, so you can check that.

Let me know if any of these saves don't work for you, and I'll send you replacements. Also let me know if there are any missing messages, for example, alternate failure messages.

I'll leave these links active for the duration of the project, and just replace bum files as you identify them.

I'll get to uploading Column 2 as soon as I get confirmation from you that what I've uploaded here actually is any good for you. (Don't forget to check my link above to see the Rhythm Test messages!)

Looking forward to playing Beta 1!

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that's what beta testing is for. Don't feel bad.

Save states have screwed me over one and a half times. You and I assumed that as long as you save before the screen of text loads it will load whatever new text you put in (as long as you re-load the ROM).

It appears that sometimes it loads the text some time before the end of the game. So save states are slightly less useful. "Rhythm Epilation" and "Air Batter" are the games that I know for certain to load text before the game ends. We'll know more certainly how useful they are when the beta is finalized.

That's an intense number of saves... I'll let you and others do more in-depth testing. I'm just going to test that the white bar at the top (ex. "Wisdom from the Master") and one comment loads correctly (the fail one, so I can set the emulator to fast-forward). Once it's at that level of quality, it's beta-worthy.

Of course, I'll probably have to run around fixing missing text after I post this beta. But I'll do anything to dissipate some of the work to other willing participants.

WatagiKankens: It would be cool but in the absence of a translation of the Japanese Tengoku site there's not much content. (And don't rely on a Google translation; that will get you nowhere.)

edit: Something came up and it doesn't look like I'll be able to spend my night finishing up the beta. Here's a patch for what I have done so far. I think Rhythm Test and the first 3 mini games are done. The last 3 in the column I don't believe have text in the white end-of-game circle and other bugs. But at least it's something.

Calling this "Beta 0" doesn't make much sense but it's definitely not beta 1. Enjoy what's here.
http://www.mediafire...a9m315zwym914z4

edit 3: Any bugs encountered during the first 3 games or the rhythm test should be reported. The last three are too low quality for me to expect others to test for.

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it looks a little buggy.

The praise you get for Rhythm Epilation is a little too wide for the screen.

The last bit of text in the "Attract mode" screen looks weird. Is it loading an extra bit of text? Is he signing off as the "Rhythm Sensei" perhaps?

Rhythm_Sense.jpg

There's some other weirdness like bad line breaks in the practice for Karate Man that you might already be aware of.

I'm not sure where to draw the line between stuff you've forgotten and things that you intentionally left unfinished in this release, so I'm going to hold off on more in-depth testing until you've had a chance to finish up what you're doing.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for playing my crappy release. I'm not putting it on the front page or announcing it anywhere because, well, you know its quality. :P It's not only that people are expecting something, but it's been a month and a half since the last public release and to put it off even more wouldn't be a nice thing to do. Interest started out strong but can only go so far without new content.

Crap, forgot to finish formatting the tutorial for Karate Man. The last three games are nearly unedited. Where does that leave Marcher and Rhythm Epilation? I think they're okay, but looking at what I've already missed and forgot to edit, I'm not so sure. Bug test if you want, or just wait for beta 1. The bug pictured above is because I didn't signal in Atlas (the text insertion program) that the bit of text was over. So it kept reading into the next line (which is the introduction).
Code:
// "[l" denotes a line break and "[;" denotes the end of the text.
Let's meet[l
again sometime.[l
[l
See you!
#WRITE(RtPtr, $A33B38)
Rhythm Sense--[l
[l
Everyone has rhythm.[;
"See you!" needs to be "See you![;"

It's kind of like writing an essay - you can proofread it 5 times and as soon as someone else looks at it, all of these flaws become obvious. It's a helpful process... better than spending much more time trying to achieve a bug-free release, putting it online, and having to go back all the same because there's something I missed.

By the way, "Rhythm Sense" is a literal translation from the Japanese. It's mentioned in the script over 70 times. I'm neutral towards that specific term, but some word or phase does need to be there. I don't think "flow" is the same concept, either. As I translate the bonus e-mails, its meaning will be more obvious. (Maybe those e-mails will be fun. No 15 different comment strings, no "Wisdom from the Master" bar, and no three different endings. Just one big, easy to edit and test, block of text.)

It's kind of odd how the Japanese introduction starts out. It introduces "Rhythm Sense" without ever really explaining it.
Rhythm Sense--

It's something that everyone holds it latently.

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rhythm Epilation looks good, except both phrases you get when you earn the Superb Rank are too long for the screen. They need to have a line break, or get cut down by a few letters.You're really, really close. The save states I posted don't let you see the white box text, but they are good for reading the praise so that might help you with fine tuning.

epilation.jpg

Marcher is missing the second piece of Praise. When I get a superb, I only get "You have fantastic judgement!". When I play this on the unpatched Japanese version, there's a second comment.

All of the "Okay" comments you get on the results screen if you get no praise or complaints seem to be broken (The statements like "Yeah..."). These seemed to be working in the Demo 0 patch, except for one untranslated comment (shown in a previous post). It seems like this is shared across all the levels, so if you fix it for one it should work for them all.

Surprisingly, all the "Your performance was like..." messages for Remix 1 work perfectly. None of the text for the results screen works.

Air Batter doesn't have any text on the results screen, but the end game messages for all three ranks ("Look what I got!" or "I hope this makes up for it...") work fine.

Clappy Trio has absolutely no text anywhere.

I might have forgotten to mention, but the new messages at the end of the rhythm test all looked good. I played the rhythm test through, and didn't see any odd text in the explanations.

The Cafe text is completely broken, with lots of obvious line break problems (But it's in English now). I had assumed you'd done a straight dump with no editing, though.

Just give me some direction if you need more testing on any particular section. I am here to serve!

Phukkitt

Trophies
XP
Country
Just registered to say thanks and express my gratitude, I love you for doing this! :D

I'll wait patiently for the (near) finished version before I try it out myself though.

WatagiKankens

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
@W hat On second thought I think my website translation idea is unnecessary because im pretty sure the translation will tell enough about the characters. I will just beta test (when I can) and help with localization (if I can)

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Phukkitt, thanks for the kind words.

SirNiko, I appreciate your help so, so much. Most people who say they're "willing to test" just want to play a nicely polished version before a public release. Little do they know that the polish has to come from somewhere, and that somewhere involves lots of work. [Though, I do sympathize with the sentiment, having signed up for many betas with that goal in mind.]

Another thing I had meant to do but never did: explain more about where all that text is coming from. The script I'm using was started by someone else. When it was given to me, it contained the original Japanese text, literal translations, a way to insert edited text automatically into the ROM, and a start on the edited text. The person doing the translation stopped working on the project and gave it to someone else. Then he stopped working on the project. Finally, he sent it to me, with a space of two years in-between each person. That's where the cafe text comes from - it's not my work, may have errors, and will probably end up at least slightly changed by the end.

The one downside of this script is that instead of leaving the Japanese text alone, it blanks it all out. What an enormous help it would be to have JPN text pop up if the English spot was empty! Instead you have nothing, which can make it much harder to notice that text should be there. (On menus, it's obvious.)

Anything outside of that first column should be ignored. A few odd pieces of text ended up translated anyway -- "Sneaky Spirits 2" for example. And since I can't tell whether it's in the "studio" section or "rhythm games" section, both pieces of text for Marcher were translated. (Check the studio and take a look -- but mind the mess, it's not formatted correctly and most of the text is blank.)

Following the release of this beta, a new schedule will be required. It takes entirely too long between releases. Especially considering that cafe text, emails, and music listings will have to start being edited, the time it takes to edit all text related to six mini-games is too long. So following the beta 1 & demo 1 releases, this will be the plan:

Edit some menu/cafe/email text
Finish the next mini-game in the list - release a beta patch
Finish the game after that, fix issues with the last game - release a beta patch

Each release would fix the issues of the last one. And polished demo patches would continue to be posted after each tier of games is completed.

edit: I have been wrongly banned from 4chan, and they haven't yet sorted it out. This was a post I was going to make in thread 152877036, started at 5:00 PM today.

I wonder how far that dude is on the GBA translation.
That's me!
>School
>College applications
>Video games
>4chan
>Getting 50/50 perfects on Rhythm Heaven Fever when I'm at 28/50

SirNiko is doing a lot of help with the organization and testing of the script. I just have to write stuff.

Reactions: 1 person

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Getting all perfects is a grueling task. Samurai Slash 1&2, Love Rap 1&2, and Remix 10 proved the most difficult for me. Much fist-pumping occurred when I polished off the last of them.

I'm a little curious to find out if Rhythm Tengoku is more or less difficult to score all perfect. A lot of the minigames look to be really precise, but on the other hand they seem pretty short by comparison. Maybe it all balances out.

Testing the Drum Lessons may drive me to using tool assisted testing, though. I can't even clear the last step of the first one!

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's alive! A much cleaner beta is ready. SirNiko and I are certain that a few errors still persist. However, you guys have been waiting for far too long.

This should be mostly playable. Known bugs:
  • Anything outside of the first column (including the cafe) isn't translated. We know. That's not part of this release.
  • One of the comments for Rhythm Epilation probably doesn't fit on the screen. Please take a screenshot of this.
  • End of game comments with conjunctions like "and", "but", "also" can have weird brackets in them (like "Anyways...[b3"). This is intentional - we're trying to find the context that these words appear in. So please take a screenshot and provide as much information as possible about how you played the mini-game. (Did you miss every zoomed-in shot but hit everything else?)
  • Some of the comments might not fit because of the brackets. Please take screenshots.
  • (NP) means (No practice). Air Batter does have practice - the song doesn't start until you hit a few balls correctly.
  • edit: I forgot about perfect campaigns. Will be fixed in Demo 1.
Enjoy! Thanks SirNiko for lots of editing and help.

http://www.mediafire...qwdawldmsl779uc

Don't want to refresh this thread hundreds of times? Subscribe to updates with Twitter or RSS. I will *only* post updates to this account when there is a new, good download out. So one semi-polished beta, a gap of a few days, and a polished demo. Then you won't hear anything from the account for a long time. If you want up-to-date information on what's going on, then read the thread.

Note:
Hey folks!

A couple comments from me -

Unlike the Wii version, you usually won't see all the "Failure" comments if you just let the game play through and do nothing. Most games have a general failure message if you do terribly all around. For example, Air Batter has one generic failure message if you mess up everything and then some different failure messages if you only mess up the high balls, or only when the screen is totally zoomed in. Keep this in mind if you're going to try to really test this thing, since just one failure is not enough to succeed!

Air Batter has a comment after the game that says "You're a mess once we zoom in or out." that I never managed to find during testing. See if you can get it to display!
So I don't know enough Japanese to actually help, but can I donate to you guys or something? I love playing this game, and can do so pretty well despite the Japanese, but this would breath new life into this super fun game if an English translation actually took off! So thanks! :D
That's a great offer, but we cannot accept donations. Or at least, taking money would probably end in the project shutting down (and maybe Nintendo suing us). Plus, this project had the help of around 10-15 people. It wouldn't be right for me or SirNiko to take money on their behalf.

If you or anyone else is interested in more in-depth testing, we have a shared Dropbox folder set up for easy editing and testing. There's also a "how to help" page on the website with information for die-hard Rhythm Heaven fans and other kinds of people that we need.

SirNiko, the bug-finding robot, is already hard at work with this beta. Thanks bro!

edit: Too much of a good thing. :P

j1Wqp.png

Paperycandy: I sneaked in the note about perfect campaigns after you made the post about it. I had no clue until you mentioned it.

Reactions: 1 person

paperycandy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes! I've been checking this topic like 4 times a day waiting! Thanks a ton W hat! I'll report stuff when I play :D

Whoa when I got a perfect challenge, this happened: http://www.imgur.com/1wJSl.jpeg (Okay, I just read the first post again)

Also,is there a reason why comments appear like this? (No space between "Also," and the comment)

Here's the "you're a mess when we zoom" message: http://www.imgur.com/ICCEQ.jpeg

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
So I don't know enough Japanese to actually help, but can I donate to you guys or something? I love playing this game, and can do so pretty well despite the Japanese, but this would breath new life into this super fun game if an English translation actually took off! So thanks! :D

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey folks!

A couple comments from me -

Unlike the Wii version, you usually won't see all the "Failure" comments if you just let the game play through and do nothing. Most games have a general failure message if you do terribly all around. For example, Air Batter has one generic failure message if you mess up everything and then some different failure messages if you only mess up the high balls, or only when the screen is totally zoomed in. Keep this in mind if you're going to try to really test this thing, since just one failure is not enough to succeed!

Air Batter has a comment after the game that says "You're a mess once we zoom in or out." that I never managed to find during testing. See if you can get it to display!

paperycandy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoa whoa whoa, what happened to Tap Trial!? (Tap Trial is fine in Remix 5)
http://www.imgur.com/QAj4q.jpeg

Found a bracket while doing Remix 6
http://www.imgur.com/8KdpP.jpeg

Got bracket e9 when I got a superb on remix 8

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason, even though every Remix has the same comments and has the same bubble text when you beat it, the script has separate pointers for each instance. I marked all the remix text with e-brackets so I could find the right one for Remix 1 when rearranging the script. This was so we could, conceivably, put unique text for each Remix to inject some more variety into the game. Expect to consistently get [e9 when you finish remix 8 with any rank, and different brackets for every other remix.

The conjunctions between comments (eg. And, / Also,) look a little goofy because they didn't get much testing. They should be fixed next patch.

eyeball226

Trophies
XP
Country
So glad someone's working on this.

Is anyone working on audio localisation of the voice clips that actually contain instructions? The Marching one is the first one that springs to mind.

The reason I ask is because I am a sound engineer/audio geek and would love to help with the recording and processing side of recreating the clips in English. Of course, I'd need someone else's help in terms of extracting the originals, converting them into a format I can use for analysis, converting my replacements back into the right format and then inserting them.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The audio is tough.
  • Someone needs to figure out how to extract it.
  • Someone needs to be a good voice actor / actress and willing to do the replacement voices
  • Someone needs to edit the sound to be within the game's specifications for compression / length (that's where you would come in)
  • Someone needs to figure out how to import it back into the game.
I don't have someone for bullets 1, 2, and 4. That combined with subjective judgement of whether English or the original audio is better has made me avoid the issue. I seriously doubt that it will ever happen. :( I think Rhythm Heaven Wii's dub is very high-quality. Yet some people still say the JPN voices are better.

Getting a pixel-artist to edit all of the special Japanese text-images to English text-images has similar issues. Since I don't know how to extract them into a workable format, I can't even begin to ask for help on it.

I noted the tap trial issue but didn't spend the time to see if it was an emulator bug or translation bug. Whatever text it loads for that spot, the game doesn't like it. Either way, issues outside of the first column of games should not be reported. If we fix something for game 6 and break game 42, we'll fix game 42 when we get there. There's no reason to test every game when they don't even have text yet. Sorry, but this does mean you'd have to keep two ROMs on a flash cart if you want to play the full Tengoku game without glitches.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I won't say anything about how I feel about localized audio, I don't think an audio localization is needed; it'd just cause divide among fans for something that people already like, and people would just keep requesting a version with the original voices.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: ik its an old news but cmon...