Rockstar confirms "active development" of next GTA title

gta.JPG

In a Grand Theft Auto Community Update released today, Rockstar has confirmed that the next GTA installment is indeed in the works. "With the unprecedented longevity of GTAV, we know many of you have been asking us about a new entry in the Grand Theft Auto series," reads the post. "With every new project we embark on, our goal is always to significantly move beyond what we have previously delivered — and we are pleased to confirm that active development for the next entry in the Grand Theft Auto series is well underway. "

While Rockstar has not shared much details at this point, the company mentions that it will be sharing more as soon as they are ready.

:arrow: SOURCE

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Vice City = Miami
San Andreas = California
GTA IV = New York
GTA V = Los Angeles

Either GTA 6 goes all out and lets you revisit ALL of these cities or I bet it's going to be somewhere like a Caribbean setting with private islands.

bloodfalco

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Yeah yeah, I am gonna believe it when it really appears. Rockstar are becoming like Blizzard. What happened with their other IPs?

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vice City = Miami
San Andreas = California
GTA IV = New York
GTA V = Los Angeles

Either GTA 6 goes all out and lets you revisit ALL of these cities or I bet it's going to be somewhere like a Caribbean setting with private islands.
i'd rather them revisit vice city- the last time we saw it was in the late 80s. stuff had to have changed massively during that time period

Reactions: MadMakuFuuma

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I presumed it always was in development (along with 7), though how much in the way of resources got dedicated to it being the bigger question; two people keeping up with physics and coding capabilities is rather different to full steam ahead.

Honestly with how Rockstar is nowadays and how many important people left I couldn't care less about GTA 6
Have they been having an exodus?

Vice City = Miami
San Andreas = California
GTA IV = New York
GTA V = Los Angeles

They could go back for London. Which is a horror unto itself -- I really don't like the London games for some reason. Mind you no reason it could not work.

quick reminder that the last good GTA game was released 14 years ago and anyone who says otherwise has never played IV in their life
Also quick reminder that rockstar published the grove street games Trilogy remasters and they're responsible for the shitfest that is GTA online.
Now that i've crushed your hopes, you'll never be disappointed since you had 0 expectations to begin with!
IV is a good GTA game? That is a bold claim, even with the "you like the one you grew up with" in play. Granted I did like the Lost and the Damned, mostly because it sorted the clunkiness of the base game in a lot of ways.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IV is a good GTA game? That is a bold claim, even with the "you like the one you grew up with" in play. Granted I did like the Lost and the Damned, mostly because it sorted the clunkiness of the base game in a lot of ways.
Actually, i didn't even start playing 4 until after i tried out 5, which was my first GTA
literally with 0 expectations beforehand i though 5 was ok and wrote GTA off as overrated & meh, then at a friend's recommendation i played 4 and realized that it wasn't that GTA was meh, it was just that 5 sucked and 4 was better in every single concievable way
different strokes for different folks though i guess

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They could go back for London. Which is a horror unto itself -- I really don't like the London games for some reason. Mind you no reason it could not work.
Mexico City, London, Barcelona, or Rio de Janeiro. Any of these would be great cities for GTA to dive in.

There's been GTA-like 3D games in London, but they either sucked or weren't very good.

Plus, if they were to make GTA 6 in London, then shitty ass weather would be a must.

BraveDragonWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aahh..."Grand Theft Auto 6".

Where you can kill, rob, get money, and rape harder, all that with six times more realism than ever before...

ppfftt...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mexico City, London, Barcelona, or Rio de Janeiro. Any of these would be great cities for GTA to dive in.

There's been GTA-like 3D games in London, but they either sucked or weren't very good.

Plus, if they were to make GTA 6 in London, then shitty ass weather would be a must.
I was thinking more that they actually did London in the past -- see some of the expansions to 1.

As far as London in 3d open world crime sims I will stand up for the getaway

Have yet to play Watch Dogs 2 but could see that joining things at some point. Some might also stand up for ZombiU/Zombi.

I don't know that Mexico City or Rio would be the best choices -- regardless of what we may all think of different entries in the series they are all pretty much about skewering general notions of opulence and the societies in question being all that and more, nobody looking to Mexico or Brazil as a leading light in human development/thing to aspire to. Thus makes it hard to do in those, though Max Payne 3 did pretty well for São Paulo I guess which I guess means Rio is also possibly on the cards. Barcelona also does not quite have the criminal underworld notions in popular culture -- everybody has seen Scarface, one of a thousand LA gangster films, same for New York (be it Warriors, modern or mafia films) and UK gangster film is its own subgenre as well (even if most don't make it much further than Guy Ritchie and Layer Cake) where Barcelona... you go there to eat nice food, gawp at architecture or ride a skateboard.
Ignoring what I said above then a GTA take on City of God era/story (those having not seen it and liking gangster films then sort that at your earliest possible convenience) would be something I am there for day 1.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be foolish of them not to design it from the ground up around the online components to maximize the average number of microtransactions per player. They're a big company with a lot of people on their payroll. It would actually be immoral for them not to.

My other concern is that the social climate has changed a lot over the past 10 years. Perhaps it would be in the best interest of the company to not press on any hot button issues or cultural taboos. The game should be a safe space for people of all backgrounds.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be foolish of them not to design it from the ground up around the online components to maximize the average number of microtransactions per player. They're a big company with a lot of people on their payroll. It would actually be immoral
I personally wouldn't mind it, as long as they deliver at least a decent story, good single player experience with (lots of) side quests (some RPG influence), so it doesn't make it a barren empty (large) world with nothing to do.
As for the GTA Online successor, if it'll be exactly the same as GTA Online with their business practices it would be a shame, as i would like to play some if it's fair for both players who choose to level up and earn stuff in-game versus those who choose to pay for their shark cards, without it being grindfest for people like me. 🤷🏻‍♂️
My other concern is that the social climate has changed a lot over the past 10 years. Perhaps it would be in the best interest of the company to not press on any hot button issues or cultural taboos. The game should be a safe space for people of all backgrounds.
I would agree with this, their main focus is to adhere to social trends and be expansive & inclusive as much as they can (for all races, genders etc), it's in their best interest, though i wish they keep some of the satire the series is known for.

Reactions: HellGhast

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The next GTA entry WILL BE set in the states, it's in their best interest to.. if i would guess, they might go back to either Liberty City or Vice City, with the latter being more likely. Or they might go with a new region akin to San Francisco, or maybe Chicago.
Please don't fuck it up this time!
Also GTA VI UE5 ray tracing would be insane, though that might be a bit farfetched for the moment.
I'm not expecting anything of course, just not as pessimistic as some of you here.. would be a shame for a generation defining series to be reduced to a online cash-grabbing shitfest.

Last edited by CoolMe,

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
We'd have it sooner if someone could make a good GTA clone. Cyberpunk proved it's not as easy as it looks to make a city sandbox game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: