Scene hacker Voksi arrested for cracking Denuvo, raided by police

LMooDC0.png

PC gamers should be familiar with the word Denuvo, the latest anti-piracy tech created in 2014 in order to prevent pirates from cracking PC games on release. For a while, it seemed that hacking teams were defeated, unable to crack the software which had gained notoriety for supposedly causing high levels of CPU and hard drive usage, making games run worse than normal. Then came along Voksi, one of the first to reliably understand how Denuvo worked and be able to remove the software from pirated copies of games. He made a name for himself by cracking high profile games very shortly after launch, and gained popularity in the cracking scene. However, that streak appears to have ended today.

On July 25, Voksi went radio silent on all communication, and then had the website to his hacking group, REVOLT, removed by the Bulgarian government. Later that day, Voksi reappeared and claimed that police had raided his home, arresting him and taking away both his computers.

It finally happened, I can't say it wasn't expected, Denuvo filed a case against me to the bulgarian authorities. Police came yesterday and took the server pc and my personal PC. I had to go to the police afterwards and explain myself. Later that day I contacted Denuvo themselves and offered them a peacful resolution to this problem. They can't say anything for sure yet, but they said the final word is by the prosecutor of my case.

Sadly, I won't be able to do what I did anymore. I did what I did for you guys and of course because bloated software in our games shouldn't be allowed at all. Maybe someone else can continue my fight.

Denuvo's parent company, Irdeto, filed a suit with Bulgarian government, on the charges of "cybercrimes", and now, it appears Voksi will no longer be removing Denuvo from new game releases.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pirates whining about DRM is like bank robbers whining about vaults.
More like bank robbers whining about how the bank makes it far too difficult to get to their safety deposit box, so they rob the bank but only grab their own box from the bank.

I know I've personally bought a PC game, then used the pirated version because it ran better. But I don't want to support their DRM stupidity so I'm not sure what the best method is to convey my contempt for their methods.

Last edited by osaka35,

nullvoid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So they are throwing weight around, is this even considered cybercrime in bulgaria?
I suppose the distro of actual game binaries instead of patches could certainly be considered, but it's Denuvo filing suit ... <><'y
Write an anonymous tutorial and someone will pursue the cause...

PC gamers should be familiar with the word Denuvo, the latest anti-piracy tech created in 2014 in order to prevent pirates from cracking PC games on release. For a while, it seemed that hacking teams were defeated, unable to crack the software which had gained notoriety for supposedly causing high levels of CPU and hard drive usage, making games run worse than normal. Then came along Voski, one of the first to reliably understand how Denuvo worked and be able to remove the software from pirated copies of games. He made a name for himself by cracking high profile games very shortly after launch, and gained popularity in the cracking scene. However, that streak appears to have ended today.

On July 25, Voski went radio silent on all communication, and then had the website to his hacking group, REVOLT, removed by the Bulgarian government. Later that day, Voski reappeared and claimed that police had raided his home, arresting him and taking away both his computers.

Denuvo's parent company, Irdeto, filed a suit with Bulgarian government, on the charges of "cybercrimes", and now, it appears Voski will no longer be removing Denuvo from new game releases.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More like bank robbers whining about how the bank makes it far too difficult to get to their safety deposit box, so they rob the bank but only grab their own box from the bank.

I know I've personally bought a PC game, then used the pirated version because it ran better. But I don't want to support their DRM stupidity so I'm not sure what the best method is to convey my contempt for their methods.
Yeah thats it, Totally makes sense :wtf:

Arent there about 6 billion other factors that can be considered when looking into a PC game running poorly? But yeah, blame Denuvo. Easy target that no one likes anyways, so they can play scapegoat. imo, people just don't like it because it does its job. Maybe there are some issues on a game to game basis, but I have no issues with my Denuvo games.

Last edited by brickmii82,

nullvoid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they filed a complaint it means that they might have hacked the software by getting their hands on stolen code. That happens and yes, you deserve that if that was the case.

If he did everything by himself then I hope he wins the case.

Uh... if you've been actually following : we all know this isn't the case ... or he'd have a 'perfect' implementation.
They have been anything but, tho he has done them rather well :P

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Uh... if you've been actually following : we all know this isn't the case ... or he'd have a 'perfect' implementation.
They have been anything but, tho he has done them rather well :P
He wouldn't have said it if he did or he'd have incriminated himself. I will wait until we know more.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Good on Denuvo for pursuing prominent legal action. -1 to this dillhole for getting caught. I mean, really... Of course, there has to be a reasonable explanation. Persecution of crackers isn't commonplace without legal grounds.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Can someone here tell me what law says it's illegal for him to do what he did?
I'd like to know for sure, as well. There has to be more to it than "you cracked our shit".

Reactions: brickmii82

shadoom

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Anyone protecting denuvo probably has never tried playing older games with copyprotection. Playing legit securom, StarForce etc. Games usually require you nowadays to download a no-cd crack.

Reactions: lampdemon

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Anyone protecting denuvo probably has never tried playing older games with copyprotection. Playing legit securom, StarForce etc. Games usually require you nowadays to download a no-cd crack.
Nope, that's not the case. Securom, Star force (blah blah blah) and all DRM should be abolished. Doesn't make you right for cracking the game, though.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone here tell me what law says it's illegal for him to do what he did?
I'm not sure what exactly they're suing him over, but I'd imagine it falls under the "they broke our lock and distributed it, thus impacting our sales" and "they distributed copyrighted content" (since I'm guessing he is also responsible for distributing the DRM-free stuff)

MeowMeowMeow

S̈͊ͣ̎̍͋͟eͩ͊ͨ̂ͫ̐ͬ͟n̆ͨp͒ͪ̿̔aͤͬ̄ͩͨ͗̔iͧ̽ͤ
Trophies
D̀͌̀e̵ͧk̷u̾̂ͨ͗̾͊̚ ͥ̈ͤ̎̒̓T͊ͬ͜rͨ̌̔͂́e͂̌ͩͦ̃͜eͬͪ̄͝
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bullshit, instead of arresting crackers that easily crack Denuvo. Instead, focus on making a good DRM that won't make the game unplayable to some people, slows down the game by some amount, and works on OS X/Linux.
Lets be honest most people who wait for denuvo crack, are there to pirate the game. I totally agree tho that they have their focus wrong.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, downloading a game is not the same as stealing cash or physical goods.

All the popular games that have denuvo have been cracked/bypassed.
1. No matter how your bias wants to lean, the analogy is correct. I never said it was right or wrong, I implied the reason it's there.

2. They stated all that needs to happen is for cracking to be held off for a month or 2 so as to not affect sales since most of a games purchases will happen in that time frame. "All the popular games" did that, therefore job done.

Last edited by brickmii82,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
2. They stated all that needs to happen is for cracking to be held off for a month or 2 so as to not affect sales since most of a games purchases will happen in that time frame. "All the popular games" did that, therefore job done.
There's no evidence that piracy affects sales at all. People who aren't sold on a game will be more than willing to wait a couple months after launch to get it free.

Reactions: lampdemon

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, based on your analogy, if I hack a bank and steal $10,000 that's the same as me hacking a game company and making a copy of their game.
No. Based on my analogy, whining about the banks cyber security that you're trying to hack, is the same as whining about DRM. At the end of the day they are there for a perceived necessity. You view it as nuisance and they view it as protection of an investment.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There's no evidence that piracy affects sales at all. People who aren't sold on a game will be more than willing to wait a couple months after launch to get it free.
These are Denuvo's words not mine. Idk what sales figures look like but I wouldn't be surprised if 60-70% of a titles sales in the first 2-3 years were in those first 2 months. Hence if the crack is held off for that time frame, the publisher will consider the job done.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Broken condoms lead to broken hearts, won't someone think of the children!!! Lol