Sea of Thieves becomes Microsoft's "fastest-selling" IP of the generation

Skeleton-Fort_1-hero.png

Rare's latest game appears to be a massive success, according to Microsoft, as Sea of Thieves has become the company's fastest selling new IP of the Xbox One generation, and the #1 first party game on Windows 10. The game managed to get over one million players on the day it launched, which actually caused huge server issues for many players, but once resolved, the game shot up to two million players by the end of the week. This game marked the first instance of a Microsoft game being playable on launch through the Game Pass service, where players can rent a library of games for $10 a month. Sea of Thieves also managed to top the sales charts for the UK on the week it released, outselling games like Ni No Kuni 2 and A Way Out.

:arrow: Source

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I wouldn’t listen to some moron on YouTube to be honest. The sales figures don’t lie.
But in this case, they just might. How many Sea of Thieves players actually bought the game and how many snagged that Xbox Game Pass 14-day free trial? Sea of Thieves' actual sales figures are a total toss-up.

Nevermore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I watched the Angry Joe review and he said its empty. Theres no progression. You don't get bonuses for winning. Theres not much penalties. The customization is not good. Its lacking content. And the game is really boring. And people in the comments seem to be in agreement.
Did he give it an 8/10?

D

Deleted-355425

the game is awful

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

wtf do sales figures have to do with quality of the game? is that a joke?

Xbox gamers were starving for a exclusive game that wasn't a FPS for a long time

You aint going to buy a shit game are you.

Nomelas

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah I wouldn’t listen to some moron on YouTube to be honest. The sales figures don’t lie.

I'll agree to the first point, and to the second, but none of that is an indication of anything really.

1. Random 'morons' can throw up any old youtube video stating their personal preferences, it really just depends on if you have the same taste as that particular youtube person. That said, if the most critics feel the same way about a game, then there's something wrong.

2. Sales figures don't lie, but they also have no barring on the actual quality of a game. Certainly not within the first few weeks of sales. Hype and great marketing is what sells games in the first weeks of a games launch - so I guess it is the one thing the game did right.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Did he give it an 8/10?
He gave it a 4/10

He praised the graphics and the potential the game had, but criticized its poor execution and how boring it is.
There is not much enemy variety its mostly just kill skeletons. And the enemy AI isn't even that good either.

The Kraken seems like an exciting monster to fight but all you fight is tentacles, thats it. You don't see its body. If you go underwater its all black and you can't see it. And its very hard to find.

Last edited by SG854,

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You we're basically sold the foundation of a game that might've been good, if the other 90% was finished.

"Most successful IP of this console generation"? Just wait till those two week Game Pass trials expire. And then maybe two more weeks for those who bought it to give up because the game literally has nothing. There's NOTHING to do! The player drop-off is gonna be immense.

But MS still got their money. Just wait until Sea of Thieves TWO!!! They'll sell us twice the redundancy with double the hype!!

Seriously, games go on sale so quick anymore it really is NOT worth buying them at release. It's a pretty fair bet that if a game doesn't go on sale after it's first 90 days in the wild that it is probably worth a buy at full price. Even then, at 90 days you may was well wait because a sale is coming for sure anyway!

Sarvesh50

Aye!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh no this is bad if a shitty game sells this much then they will never learn.
They'll keep making shitty games because kids these day don't know better.
It's normal for them to spend extra money on half delivered games they wouldn't cope with it if they lived the pre micro transaction era.
I'm boycotting shitty games.
Or i bury those game in some kitty litter.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think I saw it advertised on a bus the other day and I can't remember the last game that did that around here.

Totally. But hitting 2 million players within launch week is a pretty awesome feat...even if they likely won't hold that number for very long.
While that is a rather high number, and there are probably any number of devs that would cream their jeans for a sizeable portion of that, I do have to look back to some of the things we got during the PS360 where games were considered flops for not getting two or more times those numbers. Capcom providing some of the more amusing ones there.

As others said (and my thread the week other pondered) with such a do nothing generation then this might be a 10 times bugger all is still bugger all. Guess we shall see if it joins the other thread and becomes one of those ones that got substantially better after launch. You can graft on a progression system and content far more easily than you can fix a whole fundamentally broken set of gameplay mechanics.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well according to MS the game is a blockbuster... why would they lie?... :P

Instead, all other reviewers are liers by themselves... yeah sure... let MS live their dream. They ruined already Conker and Killer Instinct, so what can go wrong?

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saw this game getting mocked way before release (mega64).
Looks to be more modern day garbage that is only successful down to marketing, YouTube, sheep and of course the new generation of kids who know no better than to want the newest game. These modern years are not a good time for gaming, loot boxes, subscriptions etc, not good at all.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once again, microsoft's rare isnt the same as the old rareware. Most of the original staff moved to found a new developer studio and the others to different ones.
If Rare gives the rights to Playtonic Games (the company that is mostly former Rareware staff, people who worked on the snes and n64 games) then Playtonic could release a new game on really every platform.

Hyborix3

Gabi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Another game that is overhyped, fun for the first few hours, became boring and the obvious people defending it. Not sorry for people pre-ordering it.

If this is how Rare is gonna make future games, let's just say their passion of developing video games is lost. You even wondered if this is just locked content that they're gonna release in the future paid DLC with little to no content there really is

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://slickdeals.net/f/17475219-1tb-kingston-nv2-m-2-2280-pcie-4-0-x4-nvme-ssd-31-80-free-shipp...