Sea of Thieves becomes Microsoft's "fastest-selling" IP of the generation

Skeleton-Fort_1-hero.png

Rare's latest game appears to be a massive success, according to Microsoft, as Sea of Thieves has become the company's fastest selling new IP of the Xbox One generation, and the #1 first party game on Windows 10. The game managed to get over one million players on the day it launched, which actually caused huge server issues for many players, but once resolved, the game shot up to two million players by the end of the week. This game marked the first instance of a Microsoft game being playable on launch through the Game Pass service, where players can rent a library of games for $10 a month. Sea of Thieves also managed to top the sales charts for the UK on the week it released, outselling games like Ni No Kuni 2 and A Way Out.

:arrow: Source

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
"I've heard this guy, who played for a few minutes and he said it was boring. Me? Play the game? Nah I just want to hate on it".

Lack of progression in a game never seemed to be a problem here on the temp. I even recall an article praising the Uncharted series, which is pretty linear and has no progression at all. And this one is a pvp focused game, its basically about getting a crew together, doing ship battles and pvp and stealing other players.

That being said, a progression system would leave it unbalanced.

The lack of progression and purely cosmetic stuff never seemed to be a problem for overwatch as well.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
"I've heard this guy, who played for a few minutes and he said it was boring. Me? Play the game? Nah I just want to hate on it".

Lack of progression in a game never seemed to be a problem here on the temp. I even recall an article praising the Uncharted series, which is pretty linear and has no progression at all. And this one is a pvp focused game, its basically about getting a crew together, doing ship battles and pvp and stealing other players.

The lack of progression and purely cosmetic stuff never seemed to be a problem for overwatch as well.

I don't have the time or money to buy and try every single game. This is preferable but almost everyone doesn't have the means to do this.
So we are kind of reliant on reviews and others opinions to decide what to buy. If playing games was my job and I was sent review copies then I would be able to do this, but its not my job.

For me its either buy Sea of Thieves and an Xbox or use that money for another game. Like Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2 and a Switch. I can't buy them all and see if I like them all for myself, I have limited money. And don't have infinite amount of time either. For me its choices and sacrifices.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: netovsk
D

Deleted User

I have friends and a brother who completely adore this game. I might even try it myself. Not sure what all the hate is about, I think it is fine.

Reactions: Deleted-355425

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The difference starts when the uncharted series have an actual and ejoyable story. Yes, it may be linear, but the gameplay and its story still holds up today, and combined with the technical aspect of the game (especially the 4th one) that's the reasons why it is still praised. Overwatch on the other hand is heavily pvp focused game, fast pased and competitive gameplay makes it for a pretty popular game.

We can say the same for the mario games, at least some of them are linear too, but they are still enjoyable. Sea of thieves on the other hand? Well, there is a reason why almost every reviewer is giving the game low scores.

Last edited by DeslotlCL,
Reactions: Joe88

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The sales are great because so is the promise and the premise.
That sadly won't translate to long term players once they realize the wide open sea is about as deep a puddle in a drizzle.

It'll be interesting to see player counts once the game pass trials end en masse. 2 million sounds impressive...unless a majority were just freebies trying it out, since that translates to 0 revenue.

Reactions: chartube12

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I played it for about 10.. 20? minutes earlier.

First problem. All the damn characters are ugly as sin IMO, there is nothing appealing about any of their designs, or so far none fo the designs I've seen.

Second, a fricken tutorial would be nice. Just something to explain how shit works. I had absolutely no idea how to do -anything-. That's really bad form.

Accidentally got thrown in with a group at the beginning of the game *didn't exactly know what I was doing and joined group before single player* and again.. Why no tutorial before letting you into the main game? Even WoW gives you effing basic controls and how to use attacks and such.

I'll probably try to play a bit later with some friends on Gamepass... but I am not impressed at all.

Hardvlade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those are great numbers. Glad to see Sea of Thieves doing great. It's not a game I would play solo, but playing with 3 or 4 friends its a great time.

Hi-Dro

Trophies
XP
Country
My friend has this game, and I must say its hilarious PVP fun such a good game and the only Xbox exclusive game that makes me jealous.
The lack of progression that gamers are saying is a bad thing, is in my eyes actually a good thing because unlike EA and Ubisoft and hell even Rockstar online games, there is no way of it being overpowered and unbalanced unless you are a crew of 4 against a 1 man crew.
Essentially this is a sandbox game meant for hours of fun and customisation not about progression at all. I mean nowadays online gaming is about grinding or spending real money to make you more powerful, and grinding or spending real cash for ingame cash takes all the damn fun away.
Grinding becomes boring after doing the same thing 10 times over and over, and I think that's the point to get gamers bored of traditional progression to spend even more money to speed things up on a game they have already bought, to me that sucks donkey balls and is not fun at all it's just boring and expensive.
I wish more online games were built for fun rather than spending more and more money.
It's a really fun game and I urge people to play for more than 5 mins and get yourself a crew the game plays much better that way that being said it's also fun just sailing around in a 1 man crew on a sloop especially when you can sink a galleon on your own, and it is totally possible.

Xabring

Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
if you readed most people have and they say the game is fun for a couple of hours, until you realize there is basicaly no progression,reward for doing preety much anything that is worth it.
Then it's a good thing they pulled an EA subscription mode to ALL exclusive games, that way if it doesn't work, you don't "keep it" stuck under your licencees you'll never use and play literally ANYTHING else meanwhile.

D

Deleted User

Isn't it being given out for free with gamepass? I mean, I really don't think that should count as a sale. Take out that, and I bet you've got alot of angry people.

Hi-Dro

Trophies
XP
Country
Because there's very little in the game for what you're paying.
for £25/£30 There is plenty in the game plus its an online game so expect content updates (if it continues to do well)
As I said before it's a really fun game, a game doesn't have to have loads and laods of content to make it fun.

Reactions: Deleted-355425

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But in this case, they just might. How many Sea of Thieves players actually bought the game and how many snagged that Xbox Game Pass 14-day free trial? Sea of Thieves' actual sales figures are a total toss-up.
On a busy week of release it hit #1 in the UK all format charts, based on physical Xbox One copies alone, not digital, not Game Pass, and not the PC version. No mean feat when the game is basically free for 2 weeks to almost everyone.

I'm loving it anyway! :P I've got it currently set up for all 4 members of the family - 3 PCs, one Xbone, and we've played every day (that we could!) since launch, and it's fantastic fun! Not had this much fun as a family in gaming since the lads got old enough to play Pokemon (10 years ago that), but I can understand my setup is pretty uncommon, and most gamers are probably stuck to playing alone, or maybe with one mate they've added on Live, on the sloop.... neither option is anywhere near as fun as the 4 player setup I currently have.
Next week though, the 2 week game pass trials that the lads have been using runs out, and despite the fun we've been having, it's probably not worth spending an extra £16 per month on, so we'll be down to 1 PC and 1 Xbone only... make of that what you will.
Basically, running the galleon, with 4 of yous, it's excellent fun, and there's been moments we'll all look back and laugh about, so it's provided great memories, so it annoys me reading all these posts slagging off, but I can see this game is clearly not for everyone, and yes it's shortlived fun.

D

Deleted User

I think one thing that could make this game worth while is ship vs ship pvp,other than that its a empty game with no rewards.Just like no mans sky its not a bad game,its just not worth the 60$

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Isn't it being given out for free with gamepass? I mean, I really don't think that should count as a sale. Take out that, and I bet you've got alot of angry people.
Gamepass is a rental service like ps+ which means you have to pay upkeep for the service in order to continue playing it.Thats not exactly free persay.

Last edited by ,

xIce101x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the only game that gives me motion sickness so I can’t even play it for more than a hour. I’m not alone either a lot of people are getting “sea sick” from playing it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Tt5J7AfCK6E?si=g4dGzOkhACLJAovM