SEGA and Microsoft are teaming up for a "strategic alliance" involving the Azure cloud platform

sega-and-microsoft-logos-with-xbox-series-x-s.jpg

While this kind of partnership isn't as shocking as one with Nintendo might be, SEGA will be forming a "strategic alliance" with its once-competitor Microsoft. The two companies will be teaming up in order for SEGA to explore creating "large-scale, global games" in the future, utilizing Microsoft's Azure cloud technology. This also includes what SEGA refers to as "Super Game". which is a new initiative all about releasing content that focuses on four main tenents: global, online, community, and IP utilization.

We are very pleased to announce today that we are considering a strategic alliance with Microsoft to help develop SEGA's new “Super Game” initiative as well as build a next-generation game development environment. By considering a strategic partnership with Microsoft, we seek to further advance our game development so that our titles can be enjoyed by fans all over the world; in this regard, we aim to build an alliance that utilizes both SEGA's powerful game development capabilities and Microsoft's cutting-edge technology and development environment.

According to a briefing from SEGA that took place in May 2021, one of these "Super Games" will be a key strategy for them, and is set to be released within the next five years. That same presentation also showed that SEGA believes in expanding older intellectual properties, by making reboots, remakes, and remasters of popular franchises.

SEGA has played such an iconic role in the gaming industry and has been a tremendous partner over the years. We look forward to working together as they explore new ways to create unique gaming experiences for the future using Microsoft cloud technologies. Together we will reimagine how games get built, hosted, and operated, with a goal of adding more value to players and SEGA alike.

:arrow: Source

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really feel like Microsoft and SEGA missed out on a potentially mutually beneficent partnership when they nearly formed one back during the Xbox's inception. As you may know, Microsoft nearly worked out a deal with SEGA for the first Xbox to be backwards compatible with Dreamcast games, but because a deal couldn't be worked out in regards to Dreamcast games still retaining online functionality, the deal fell through.

Now though, I can't help but wonder about that missed timeline, imagine if the Series X wasn't just backwards compatible through the OG Xbox, but the Dreamcast as well, and maybe even potentially the Saturn and SEGA CD. That would truly have been nuts.

Furthermore, the Xbox has always struggled in Japan, and I think a large reason for that is brand recognition, Japanese tend to want to stick with Japanese companies, so if they had made that deal, maybe they could have gone by the SEGA Xbox only in Japan to help sell more units in that region. Plus it would appease a lot of SEGA fans that wish the company still made consoles. Only major negative is that SEGA games would probably have become exclusive to Xbox instead of going multiplatform.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I wonder when will the big companies figure out that cloud gaming does not work universally as of now.
It's only feasible for certain games, where input delay does not matter much.
There is a currently unbeatable enemy called latency. Try and beat it first.

Frame prediction and pre-calculation can only get us so far.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Only the collective compute power of hundreds of servers can handle the rumored Sonic open-world game.

Back when the Dreamcast was a thing.
LOL! Sega might have though the Dreamcast was competitive with OG Xbox. No one else did. And does no one remember the alliance Sega and MSFT announced back then? If anything, Sega and MSFT have been partners in the past 20 years, including once the Xbox shipped.

As for cloud gaming, I know you (fellow) pirates don't like it, but it is absolutely the future. Why would you not tie a large part or even the entire new AAA game you are working on to something that cannot be pirated?

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Since using 5G as my primary broadband, I am starting to become a believer of Cloud Gaming lol.

I am probably lucky that the mast is on top of the opposite building, but extremely low latency and ultra fast speed am super happy. Around 20 Ping on LOL, and no issues livestreaming etc.

Am gonna try stadia with this. See how it is.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder when will the big companies figure out that cloud gaming does not work universally as of now.
It's only feasible for certain games, where input delay does not matter much.
There is a currently unbeatable enemy called latency. Try and beat it first.

Frame prediction and pre-calculation can only get us so far.
Sticking a server in your local city/cabinet on the other hand sorts that. Bit more expensive up front but nothing out of the range of most of Microsoft's acquisitions of late.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Many of you seem to mixing up Azure cloud compute services with xcloud streaming. Sega making use of the Azure cloud may have more to do with online services, and cloud compute enhancing various components of their games.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Only the collective compute power of hundreds of servers can handle the rumored Sonic open-world game.

Back when the Dreamcast was a thing.
dreamcast failled way before xbox appeared

dreamcast was descontinued on 31 of march of 2001

original xbox was released in november 15 of 2001

so nope they werent even competitors.

Reactions: AlanJohn

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I'm pretty sure both companies can handle whatever they have in mind pretty well. Here's hoping success for both of 'em.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care about the Cloud Streaming stuff, but i would love to see Sega IPs new&old brought to the Xbox, just like the old days with the original Xbox, bring back Jet Set Radio/Sega GT! etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think I did then it broke a few months later
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Used it as a web cam for a day for fun, sooo shitty it was hilarious
    I had two Ken one regular black one and a silver special edition one lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Speaking of old stuff those green og Logitech Xbox controllers still being listed around $100
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    eyetoy was fun yeah
    super basic, but the minigames were well designed
    i'm sure there's at least 1 emulator out there that works with it
    I had the PS3 one too and The Eye of Judgement game lol was ass
    i had eye toy play on ps2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Microsoft ruined it with kinect
    @The Real Jdbye, PCSX2 works with any web cam and emulates the EyeToy with it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember mic support for the n64 being janky
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Emulation wise
    I had a kinnect.... It blew rotting goat balls
    Ken amazingly DraStic microphone support works better than real hardware lol
    On a phone of course
    Also touch is better.... Well at least better than the launch DS, the lite one improved that a ton
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Touch
    +1
    I really need to dig out my USB Wii sensor bar and experiment with Wii emulation and synching Wii remotes with BT lol
    Sort of redundant since I have a Wii lol
    With HDMI lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I also have a Wii
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tomorrow be may 4th
    Getting Wiid from Street Pharmacist Mario?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    1tb SD card for whatever reason
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 1tb SD card for whatever reason