SEGA is reviving five of its classic franchises, including Jet Set Radio

With The Game Awards announcing dozens of new games, SEGA stole the spotlight by announcing nearly a dozen games on their own. SEGA is bringing back some of its old, most beloved IPs, by revealing five new games. Jet Set Radio, Golden Axe, Shinobi, Crazy Taxi, and Streets of Rage are all getting brand-new games. SEGA calls this a new era for the company, with these games set to release over the next handful of years. Early gameplay can be seen within the trailers, with the Jet Set Radio gameplay looking quite similar to that old supposed SEGA leaked gameplay reel from years ago.

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
SEGA you smart snitch, you're finally not holding back!
I CAN'T WAIT TO COME ON OVER AND HAVE SOME FUN WITH CRAZY TAXI......AGAIN!

Reactions: Xzi

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Golden Axe was so much fun back in the day! a new game needs to be 2D / 2.5D and nothing like Golden Axe Beast Rider however.

Potentially interesting news, however given Sega's track record with Sonic I won't get excited just yet...

I have no idea if this will be good or not but why do people only bring up Sonic? They also make good games like Like a Dragon and Persona. Unless this is being done by Sonic Team which it might be.

qzack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The original soundtrack for Streets of Rage has always stuck with me.
It's techno beat just fits and I listen to it often.

I remember dumping buckets of quarters at my local arcade on Shinobi. I've been trying to master the speed run on the boss
statue level when you hit the ninja magic at just the right moment and clip threw them all to the end.

SDA

Shame Yourself
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Makes me remember when Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX was released. You know, it's nice to hear that Sega goes back on keeping some of its older game franchises alive.

They made some good games even YEARS before Sonic.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The original soundtrack for Streets of Rage has always stuck with me.
It's techno beat just fits and I listen to it often.

I remember dumping buckets of quarters at my local arcade on Shinobi. I've been trying to master the speed run on the boss
statue level when you hit the ninja magic at just the right moment and clip threw them all to the end.

Music is amazing, I tell ya.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Too bad they forgot Alex Kidd and Phantasy Star.

But hey, we'll take them into our bosom.
Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis is pretty recent and still supported... and there's been a wealth of PSO games over the past couple of decades - only the 32bit gen really missed out.

What they actually forgot was Outrun.

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been waiting a long time for Sega to do something with these IPs.
Especially something good as suppose to just a cheap effort.
Looks like they went all in with Golden Axe and JSR, Shinobi is looking artistic but different gameplay wise and streets of rage I hope stays true to the original mechanics rather than toss them out.
Hope they keep up this trend and revive some obscure IPs too like Alien Storm, Crackdown, Gain Ground, heck Afterburner Climax could use another port.
Crazy Taxi looks pretty good too though I hope it's not multiplayer only focused.
They won't keep this up, its SEGA.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis is pretty recent and still supported... and there's been a wealth of PSO games over the past couple of decades - only the 32bit gen really missed out.

What they actually forgot was Outrun.
Fair point, but I was hoping for a new offline Phantasy Star.

Regarding Outrun, I think they hit the nail in the head with the last one. It's pretty much what Outrun could hope to be.
Too bad there's no recent home ports or remasters.

Reactions: Azael_inf

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea if this will be good or not but why do people only bring up Sonic? They also make good games like Like a Dragon and Persona. Unless this is being done by Sonic Team which it might be.
SEGA don't make Persona games, Atlus does. Also because how relevant Sonic has been for the past decade of so (excluding Yakuza), it was kinda of the only IP that survived after the Dreamcast failed ( you could say I'm wrong but...Sonic has gotten so many games that NiGHTs Journey to Dreams & Billy Hatcher are kinda irrelvant).

Reactions: DinohScene

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SEGA don't make Persona games, Atlus does. Also because how relevant Sonic has been for the past decade of so (excluding Yakuza), it was kinda of the only IP that survived after the Dreamcast failed ( you could say I'm wrong but...Sonic has gotten so many games that NiGHTs Journey to Dreams & Billy Hatcher are kinda irrelvant).

Sega owns Atlus. It's like saying "Sony doesn't make the Last of Us games Naughty Dog does" they own Naughty Dog. The point was they do have other games besides Sonic. The Makers of Yakuza (now known as Like a Dragon) have made more games than any dev the last decade and none of them have been Sonic.

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sega owns Atlus. It's like saying "Sony doesn't make the Last of Us games Naughty Dog does" they own Naughty Dog. The point was they do have other games besides Sonic. The Makers of Yakuza (now known as Like a Dragon) have made more games than any dev the last decade and none of them have been Sonic.
Just because they own them doesn't mean they make them.

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just because they own them doesn't mean they make them.

Stop being a fucking asshole. Everyone knows it's the same thing you're just here to nitpick at people and be negative. Go outside and get some sun for once video games aren't everything.

By your logic Sega doesn't make Sonic games either Sonic Team does. No one fucking cares except you.

Reactions: DarkCoffe64

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol