Should There Be Tougher Gun Laws?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I think I'll keep our guns, I don't want our country to end up like this!

Australia - 1.2 people murdered per 100,000 people.

USA - 5 people murdered per 1000,000 people.

How about you look at reality instead of the paranoid fantasies of YouTubers?

I think I'll keep not having wankers running around thinking it's the wild west and building their own personal armouries, I don't want our children slaughtered by some dickhead kid whose 'survivalist' redneck mother taught him to shoot a military rifle.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Tougher gun laws? Well after all, we know that this will stop criminals from getting assault weapons....oh wait.

Laws against making bombs and anthrax? Didn't stop Timothy McVeigh or the New York anthrax attacks. Only logical thing to do is make them legal! In fact laws against murder don't stop all murders, especially not in America. Make that legal too.

We've not had a school shooting since gun controls brought in after Dunblane. Australia hasn't had a mass shooting since their gun controls brought in a decade ago. Can you imagine the US going ten YEARS without mass murder with guns? Hey, maybe you could try starting with 10 months and work your way up? You can keep pretending having guns everywhere actually prevents this kind of thing happening, and every time it happens in your country and not countries where you can't walk into a supermarket and buy a gun with your groceries it makes you look like an idiot.

Give up on trying to claim that all the criminals have guns in Australia and the UK and everyone else is defenceless. People live there. People can see it isn't true. You can post youtube videos and Glen Beck editorials, but unfortunately there are millions of very inconvenient people walking around not dead as uncomfortable evidence that it's bullshit. Just be honest - say that you think the murders and the massacres are worth it. That you feel your personal feeling of safety from having a gun, real or imagined, outweighs those things. At least then it might be possible to have a real discussion about it.

Deleted member 318366

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found a shell casing that looked like one of these in my yard the other day, i didn't really make too much mind of it because it looked like it had been there for a while. just pointing it out.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
^It's been all over BBC news tickertapes for the last few hours. There's little point discussing it because it covers the same ground...those of us who feel that if there was no access to guns this sort of thing would be hugely reduced in scale, and those who believe that guns don't kill people, people kill people.

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't get it. Why do Americans (I don't say all of them, but most I've spoken) seem to think that tougher gun laws will result in total anarchy?
The US has the highest amount of firearm homicides of all so called 'developed' countries. source
Basically it's also almost a ranking of who has the toughest gun laws/policies.

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just posted in the other thread but that'll probably soon be deleted for somehow being off-topic. So I'll post it here anyway.

You guys are missing the point about gun control. I believe that the main factor with this is the fact that guns are SO easily accessible in the US and that anyone can quite easily just decide to shoot someone and make it happen within such a short space of time.

I mean, if I wanted to, I can gradually stockpile explosive material and detonate a large bomb in a city centre, but that requires time, planning and forward thinking. The same thing here in the UK (due to our strict gun laws), I cannot easily obtain a gun from my house or a friend.

Now anyone can have a few moments of madness, depression or a bad day, (as the majority of these 'killers' are NOT hell-bent criminals) and when guns are so easily to hand as they are in the US it is VERY easy to forget all sense of right and wrong, think "screw the consequences, what do I have to lose?" and simply go out and murder people, often taking your own life afterwards. If the gun laws are tightened these situations would undoubtedly drastically drop in numbers, the only few that remain would be from truly disturbed people or terrorists that plan weeks, months (or even years) in advance for some political or similar gain.

I live in California. Let me tell you that there are a lot of gangs over here. My area isn't too bad, but certain areas of LA are terrible and so are certain border areas. These gangs (especially Mexican drug cartels) have tons of guns even though they are not allowed to have guns because they have obtained them illegally and most of them are felons. It will not be hard for them to smuggle guns in the country. Making stricter gun regulation won't decrease the amount of gun crimes here. If someone wants a gun, they will be able to find it no matter what.
You are right that it may take a long time to stockpile enough explosive material to detonate a large bomb, but it hardly requires any time at all to make smaller explosives that can be used to murder. The evil men who attacked columbine high school had quite a few guns on them but they had even more bombs.
Taking guns away in European countries may have worked for them but it will never work in America. Americans love their guns wayyy to much. It is an important right for us to be able to defend ourselves against an evil government. Also firing guns at a range is very fun and a great hobby.

Its_just_Lou

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, ANOTHER campus shooting in the States today....sigh.... :(

Thank GOD and JESUS for CODBLOPS!
:unsure:

"Well, its really very simple. The high level of gun-related deaths in the United States can be attributed to ONE thing; the AVAILIBILITY of guns in the United States." - Stephen King, on why he pulled his novel 'Rage' from shops.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)