Homebrew Sighax for dummies: An FAQ for the rest of us.

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 75,847
  • Replies 166
  • Likes 27

Lucar

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What does OTP mean? It is also mentioned in 3ds.guide but I could not find anything. I would appreciate an answer and thougt this would be the right thread to ask that kind of question.

One Time Programmable. Basically, the OTP is a key locked in hardware(?) unique to every console that is able to be written once, and then can never be modified. That's why it's One Time Programmable.

EDIT: @Joom Ninja'd me

Reactions: hurrz

adrifcastr

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What does OTP mean? It is also mentioned in 3ds.guide but I could not find anything. I would appreciate an answer and thougt this would be the right thread to ask that kind of question.
the OTP contains console unique keys which are more or less stored in there and nowhere else, on fw 3< OTP get's locked by boot9 bc of that you need to be under 3< to obtain it (when we have boot9 dumped and sighax implemented we can dump the OTP right when we want to.)

Reactions: Tekniquez and hurrz
D

Deleted User

OP
One Time Programmable. Basically, the OTP is a key locked in hardware(?) unique to every console that is able to be written once, and then can never be modified. That's why it's One Time Programmable.

EDIT: @Joom Ninja'd me

the OTP contains console unique keys which are more or less stored in there and nowhere else, on fw 3< OTP get's locked by boot9 bc of that you need to be under 3< to obtain it (when we have boot9 dumped and sighax implemented we can dump the OTP right when we want to.)
I'll add this the OP as soon as I get the chance. Thanks guys!

D

Deleted User

OP
Added info about OTP, will probably fix info according to SciresM's writeup when I get some more time.

EDIT: Got that edit done too, so now everything SHOULD be okay. Let me know if I got something wrong or if I need to add something, and I'll do it ASAP.

Last edited by ,

Lucar

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Short answer: NO. We don't have enough exploits for 11.4 to make it okay to update, no matter whether you have a9lh+cfw installed or not.

If you have A9LH and Luma or another CFW, it should be totally safe to update to 11.4. Without A9LH, definitely no for right now.

So hedgeberg (bless her tired soul)

DID YOU JUST ASSUME THEIR GENDER?!?!?!?! TRIGGGGGGGGERERERED!!!!!!! /s

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't hedgeberg a 'he'?

D

Deleted User

OP
If you have A9LH and Luma or another CFW, it should be totally safe to update to 11.4. Without A9LH, definitely no for right now.

That's simply a precaution for noobs who don't know what they're doing, to be honest. that's what the little extra spoiler box underneath is for, to explain that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't hedgeberg a 'he'?

actually, hedge is a she. There was a whole debate on the other sighax thread, about gender identities and gender politics, at one point. I believe they're genderfluid, but I wouldn't quote me on that, and I also wouldn't worry/think about it a whole bunch either (because the more it's mentioned the more this thread will devolve from actual questions/answers/discussion about sighax)

D

Deleted User

OP
I've got another question: What is 33c3 some people are talking about? :)

It's essentially a big ol' hacking convention in Germany, which is where Derrek revealed sighax and provided a pretty complex yet comprehensive explanation as to how he did it.

hurrz

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's essentially a big ol' hacking convention in Germany, which is where Derrek revealed sighax and provided a pretty complex yet comprehensive explanation as to how he did it.
Thanks for the quick answer on that simple question! :)

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
This definitely needs a major update now that it has been released.

5. Does that mean my 3DS is safe to update?
If you have a9lh then yes. All you need to install sighax/boot9strap is arm9 access. If you can run godmode9/hourglass9/decrypt9 then you can run the boot9strap installer the same way.

7. Why won't we get the bootrom?
Because it isn't necessary to install or use sighax (as well as being illegal to distribute). Also, with boot9strap anyone can dump their own bootroms simply by holding down start+select+x during boot.

D

Deleted User

OP
This definitely needs a major update now that it has been released.

5. Does that mean my 3DS is safe to update?
If you have a9lh then yes. All you need to install sighax/boot9strap is arm9 access. If you can run godmode9/hourglass9/decrypt9 then you can run the boot9strap installer the same way.

7. Why won't we get the bootrom?
Because it isn't necessary to install or use sighax (as well as being illegal to distribute). Also, with boot9strap anyone can dump their own bootroms simply by holding down start+select+x during boot.

Yep, I'm working on revising it actually. I've got a lot of things going on right now, so it may take a while, but I'll get it updated eventually.

Reactions: OblivionReign

Bros.Life

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have a simple question.

I was about to hack one 3DS in 11.2 system version. I was going to follow the 3ds.guide as I have done in the past. But it appears the site has changes its guide to install boot9strap instead of arm9loaderhax.

My question is: Is safe to follow the new guide? I mean, the new hack is already ready to be used?

With this new method, I don't need to downgrade to 2.1 and get the OTP file?

Thanks

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a simple question.

I was about to hack one 3DS in 11.2 system version. I was going to follow the 3ds.guide as I have done in the past. But it appears the site has changes its guide to install boot9strap instead of arm9loaderhax.

My question is: Is safe to follow the new guide? I mean, the new hack is already ready to be used?

With this new method, I don't need to downgrade to 2.1 and get the OTP file?

Thanks
Boot9Strap is safe as far as I can tell. The only "bricks" I've seen so far are users who either forgot to copy Luma3DS v7.1's boot.firm to the SD card, or copied it to the wrong directory. (It should be in the root of the SD card, but I accidentally copied it to /boot9strap/ and it didn't boot, derp.) In those cases, the system turns on and immediately turns off, which means Boot9Strap is working, but there's nothing to load. (Same thing happens with arm9loaderhax.)

2.1 and OTP aren't needed to install Boot9Strap. (After it's installed, you can dump OTP and the two Boot ROMs by holding Start+Select+X when turning the system on.)

Reactions: Bros.Life
D

Deleted User

OP
Second post now features answers to sighax problems, and I will try to be diligent with updating as more problems arise.

IF YOU HAVE SOLUTIONS TO COMMON PROBLEMS, PM ME! I'd love to include them in that post, and will be sure to give credit where credit is due.

The OP has been updated too, and more info will surely come in the coming weeks.

DOUBLE POST PREVENTION EDIT: Also, if a mod could sticky this so more people could find this, that'd be peachy keen

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can