Skyward Sword HD will have a $25 amiibo that unlocks new fast travel features

The upcoming release of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD on the Nintendo Switch will see more than just a fresh coat of HD paint--the game will also add in some new quality of life changes. For example, the newly-revealed Zelda and Loftwing amiibo will let players fast travel to the sky from within dungeons or while on land. In the original release of the game, fast travel mechanics were only available when you were at Bird Statues, which also acted as save points.

This wouldn't mark the first time that Nintendo has locked features behind the paywall of using amiibo; Metroid: Samus Returns on the Nintendo 3DS had a controversial reveal that an amiibo would unlock a special Fusion Mode. Nintendo hasn't made it entirely clear as to whether or not fast travel capabilities will be locked purely behind purchasing the more-expensive-than-usual $24.99 amiibo, but for now, it seems like it's exclusive to those that can scan the figure. Both The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD and the fast-travel unlocking Zelda and Loftwing amiibo will launch on July 16th.

Every legend has an origin – and soon you can follow the earliest tale in The Legend of Zelda™ timeline when the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD game launches on the Nintendo Switch™ system. The HD version of this classic adventure features enhanced performance, smoother motion controls, and newly added button-only controls. The new “Zelda & Loftwing” amiibo* will be released on July 16 to accompany the launch of the game.

Zelda_Loftwing_amiibo.jpg

The Zelda & Loftwing amiibo features two characters on a single base: Zelda as she appears in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, and her trusty Loftwing.

In The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, Zelda is the hero Link’s childhood friend, and is always looking out for him. Loftwings are large birds living on the floating islands of Skyloft and are ridden by the people there to travel across the skies.

Zelda_Loftwing_amiibo_screens1.jpg

Introducing the Zelda & Loftwing amiibo!

In The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, the adventure takes place between the skies where Link and his friends reside, and the vast world of the surface that lies beneath the clouds.

Normally, you can only return from the surface to the sky by way of designated save points, but using the Zelda & Loftwing amiibo while on the surface in the game will allow you to return to the skies from anywhere on the surface, even inside dungeons.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
:blink:

But...but...why??? :wacko:

Look: I've played through skyward sword on the wii. And what three pages of comment neglect to mention: the game isn't an open world Zelda game. That floating island acts as a hub-world of sorts, with three completely separate worlds below. It has enough exploring to check of the "it has exploring" checkbox, but just little over the minimum. You never need to revisit an earlier world aside for the story (each world housed two dungeons, IIRC), so there's no "oh, I've got a grappling hook...better check every nook and cranny up to this point" bullshit going on. Well...of course there are treasures everywhere, but those were much more shallow than in other games(1). So there's less roaming and grinding going on than in most other Zelda games. I didn't mind at all (I certainly never felt I wanted to revisit earlier areas, for example). But a fast travel option would be a "meh" addition at best.

...but it's on a stupid amiibo that costs 25 bucks? As in: half the price of the actual game??? I...am lost. It's way too expensive as a doll (as a father of a daughter, I've unfortunately become an expert on doll prices :P ), and the progress in the game is shallow and weak at best. So...why?

Fuck...it even goes above myself. Earlier, I always thought that as my child would reach 5 or 6 years, we'd be playing video games together (kind of like what's happening with my nephew and niece of that age). But I expected this sort of shit from EA, ubisoft and a handful other companies that were more concerned with getting our money than providing anything good. Nintendo was my bastion of hope. One I could safely show my kid and trust they'd provide great gameplay value. Amiibo's were never my thing (I'm a standard male in that regard), but I got it had appeal.

But this? 25 bucks for a piece of plastic?

Fuck...

(1): it's an unrelated issue, but when you open up a chest outside a dungeon, your "reward" is that the hub-world gets prettified, which gives you a bonus. But this means that to improve something, you need to do double the searching work.

Reactions: Codemastershock

Ibcap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While the first Zelda game did drop the player in the middle of nowhere with little instruction, as the series progressed and grew it became more story-focused and much less confusing - which was a very pleasant change.
In games like Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask, and A Link Between Worlds, while you were somewhat free to do what you wanted, it was still obvious what the main goals were and where places are. Other games, like The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, were far more linear, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

BotW is indeed "different" to what Legend of Zelda has grown to be, and while change can be a good thing, going back to the first game's style - and doing it worse by implementing stamina and fragility - just was not a good decision in my eyes. I strongly dislike being dumped with barely any direction or help; there's not even any map markers to guide me, aside from the inaccurate ones I place myself based on what I can see (which inevitably means missing content).
Games like Twilight Princess, The Wind Waker, and yes, Skyward Sword, are far more true to what "Legend of Zelda" has come to mean - and BotW suffers for wanting to be different. It's why I managed to finish Skyward Sword multiple times despite its many flaws, but not once managed to progress far into BotW - one at least felt kind of like a Legend of Zelda game, while the other just flat-out doesn't.
To me, this game is quite similar to Shenmue 3; it tries to mimic a game from decades ago, but in the process failed to learn from the myriad of quality-of-life and gameplay improvements the industry has obtained over that time.

As for "breakable weapons forces the player to experiment", that's a horrible counterargument - games like Assassin's Creed Origins have plenty of different weapon types the player can try out, but it negates the potential frustration caused by weapons breaking - AND the resulting loss of interest in equipment rewards because the player knows said "rewards" will just break eventually anyway so what's the point - by simply leaving that crappy mechanic out. Instead, new weapons have explicit attack stats and bonus effects, with the general power level clearly increasing as the player levels up, and if the player has enough money they can strengthen older weapons they like to keep up.
Assassin's Creed Origins has a far superior "experiment with weapon types" system than BotW does, because I actually WANT to try out new stuff, instead of being forced to, and I can still keep and use old favourites if I want to.

As for "the game would have to be radically redesigned in such a way that would alter it for the worse", that's incorrect - all they would have to do is simply include a toggle or something. What would it change about the inherent gameplay? Barely anything of note - oh, sure, you can now climb whatever mountain you want, or glide for as long as you'd like, but would that be a bad thing? Climbing tall mountains would still be disincentivised due to the frigid climates mountaintops tend to have, and unlimited gliding would be a benefit. Not to mention infinite sprinting and swimming and spin attacks, and the shrine orbs only being used to increase Hearts instead of having a stupid choice between Hearts or stamina.
Again, I fail to see how the game would have to be "radically redesigned" - it's a simple removal that would improve it quite a bit. Still wouldn't help fragility or the lack of map markers, or the hideous art style, though...
"as the series progressed and grew it became more story-focused" which is why i called it a return to form. You could say botw is the true zelda game and the others you named are the ones which arent in the spirit of the series. But thats a stupid argument to have because which games are 'more zelda' is dumb and im only humoring the discussion because you think its important.
"Other games, like The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, were far more linear, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing."
Absolutely, so we agree. Being different from the standard zelda formula is NOT automatically a bad thing, even though your entire original post was about how botw is worse specifically because it is different.
"I strongly dislike being dumped with barely any direction or help; there's not even any map markers to guide me, aside from the inaccurate ones I place myself based on what I can see (which inevitably means missing content)."
Thats a valid opinion, but many people would disagree on this. For example, games like Dark Souls have become popular specifically BECAUSE they drop you in a world with no guidance. Different people enjoy different things, if you dont like it thats fine, but you have to understand theres a very large subset of people who enjoy that and we can see thats factually true by the success of dark souls, botw, and various other recent games that follow dark souls lead.
"To me, this game is quite similar to Shenmue 3; it tries to mimic a game from decades ago, but in the process failed to learn from the myriad of quality-of-life and gameplay improvements the industry has obtained over that time."
I think claiming that botw failed to learn quality of life and gameplay improvements over zelda 1 is a laughable idea. Zelda 1 was a good base but was terrible by modern gaming standards. Botw fixes all of its major issues, such as being too cryptic or having a map with no identifiable featured.
"As for "breakable weapons forces the player to experiment", that's a horrible counterargument - games like Assassin's Creed Origins have plenty of different weapon types the player can try out, but it negates the potential frustration caused by weapons breaking - AND the resulting loss of interest in equipment rewards because the player knows said "rewards" will just break eventually anyway so what's the point - by simply leaving that crappy mechanic out."
But players will ALWAYS just get the best weapon and choose not to experiment because players generally prioritize being powerful in a game over fun. This is a constant problem across all games. In card games people play the best deck even if everyone hates playing both with and against it because they want the best chances of winning. Botw, unlike a card game, has a way of forcing players to experiment, and i believe on average it increases players enjoyment, even if on the surface it comes across as annoying. As for the rewards being diminished, i would agree but having a diminished reward is better than getting a weapon thats just worthless to begin with due to being inferior to already existing weapons, which is the alternative.
"As for "the game would have to be radically redesigned in such a way that would alter it for the worse", that's incorrect - all they would have to do is simply include a toggle or something. What would it change about the inherent gameplay?"
Because the games map is designed around not being able to climb infinitely, theyd have to redesign the entire map structure to make it impossible to sequence break by just climbing to places you arent intended to reach yet and also because higher level items are put on high locations with the expectation you need to be far in the game to get the stamina to obtain them. Ill agree on infinite sprinting though, i see no issues with that being added in the game.
"and the shrine orbs only being used to increase Hearts instead of having a stupid choice between Hearts or stamina."
I like having to choose, it increases engagement when I have the option of how to strengthen my character instead of the game telling me.
All your arguments here come down to "I personally dont like X thing" but you present them as "X is inherently bad game design and makes the game bad." If you refuse to recognize that other people dont agree with all your personal opinions then theres no point in having this conversation.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
:blink:

But this? 25 bucks for a piece of plastic?

There are other amiibo's that cost that.

The only amiibo's I have are the MH Rise set. They're 3 amiibo's, one costs 24.99€ (got it with the collector's edition, but that's the price), the other two cost 19.99€ each. Only bought them because I like the series (they do have exclusive functions, but I don't really use them).

They're fun collectibles, the price can be steep sure, but people don't really need them. I mean.. I have some figurines that cost 200€ that have 0 functionality. A decent figure, around the size of an amiibo, usually goes for 25/30€, so once again, the pricing isn't that bad given what it is.

D

Deleted User

I probably am the Minority here, but that may be due to the way I'm seeing their proposition.

Nintendo : Do you already own USD 25 Merchandise that have no other function than to look pretty.
Me : Yes.

Nintendo : Would you be interested in owning another USD 25 Decorative Merchandise that has no other function than to look pretty.
Me : Yes.

Nintendo : How about we add in Fast Travel for one of our Games and maybe added potential in future Titles.
Me : Which direction should I throw my Money at relative to this Screen ...

Reactions: Skelletonike
D

Deleted User

Sometimes, you really have to wonder about Perception.

Take a Plane Flight.
Everyone on board gets to their Destination at exactly the same time; their Flight Experience are all equal and there is no preferential treatment on that regard.

The Quality of Life additions come from sitting closer to the front, closer to the window or aisle, getting bigger seats, more dining options and more privacy.
None of these affect the Flight Experience per se because, again, everyone gets off at the same time.

But people vie for these coveted Quality of Life improvements hidden behind a paywall and they only complain when they can't afford it. When they can afford it, though, they Post incessantly about it, forgetting about their initial disposition.

This happens on a once-daily basis, and will again once Air Travel picks up.
But Nintendo adding Fast Travel to an Amiibo is a Hill to die on ...

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I never thought the game needed the ability to fast travel from anywhere, but still, having to pay $25 for that ability is a huge ripoff. And I'm betting you'll have to scan it every single time rather than just scanning it once to unlock the feature, making it a hassle rather than a convenience.

Reactions: Codemastershock

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And they wonder why people havk and pirate their recycled shit.

$25 to unlock a game feature, fuck me becoming EA or what, recycle same shit and now charge to use shit.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
"as the series progressed and grew it became more story-focused" which is why i called it a return to form. You could say botw is the true zelda game and the others you named are the ones which arent in the spirit of the series. But thats a stupid argument to have because which games are 'more zelda' is dumb and im only humoring the discussion because you think its important.

"Other games, like The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, were far more linear, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing."
Absolutely, so we agree. Being different from the standard zelda formula is NOT automatically a bad thing, even though your entire original post was about how botw is worse specifically because it is different.

"I strongly dislike being dumped with barely any direction or help; there's not even any map markers to guide me, aside from the inaccurate ones I place myself based on what I can see (which inevitably means missing content)."
Thats a valid opinion, but many people would disagree on this. For example, games like Dark Souls have become popular specifically BECAUSE they drop you in a world with no guidance. Different people enjoy different things, if you dont like it thats fine, but you have to understand theres a very large subset of people who enjoy that and we can see thats factually true by the success of dark souls, botw, and various other recent games that follow dark souls lead.

"To me, this game is quite similar to Shenmue 3; it tries to mimic a game from decades ago, but in the process failed to learn from the myriad of quality-of-life and gameplay improvements the industry has obtained over that time."
I think claiming that botw failed to learn quality of life and gameplay improvements over zelda 1 is a laughable idea. Zelda 1 was a good base but was terrible by modern gaming standards. Botw fixes all of its major issues, such as being too cryptic or having a map with no identifiable featured.

"As for "breakable weapons forces the player to experiment", that's a horrible counterargument - games like Assassin's Creed Origins have plenty of different weapon types the player can try out, but it negates the potential frustration caused by weapons breaking - AND the resulting loss of interest in equipment rewards because the player knows said "rewards" will just break eventually anyway so what's the point - by simply leaving that crappy mechanic out."
But players will ALWAYS just get the best weapon and choose not to experiment because players generally prioritize being powerful in a game over fun. This is a constant problem across all games. In card games people play the best deck even if everyone hates playing both with and against it because they want the best chances of winning. Botw, unlike a card game, has a way of forcing players to experiment, and i believe on average it increases players enjoyment, even if on the surface it comes across as annoying. As for the rewards being diminished, i would agree but having a diminished reward is better than getting a weapon thats just worthless to begin with due to being inferior to already existing weapons, which is the alternative.

"As for "the game would have to be radically redesigned in such a way that would alter it for the worse", that's incorrect - all they would have to do is simply include a toggle or something. What would it change about the inherent gameplay?"
Because the games map is designed around not being able to climb infinitely, theyd have to redesign the entire map structure to make it impossible to sequence break by just climbing to places you arent intended to reach yet and also because higher level items are put on high locations with the expectation you need to be far in the game to get the stamina to obtain them. Ill agree on infinite sprinting though, i see no issues with that being added in the game.

"and the shrine orbs only being used to increase Hearts instead of having a stupid choice between Hearts or stamina."
I like having to choose, it increases engagement when I have the option of how to strengthen my character instead of the game telling me.
All your arguments here come down to "I personally dont like X thing" but you present them as "X is inherently bad game design and makes the game bad." If you refuse to recognize that other people dont agree with all your personal opinions then theres no point in having this conversation.
Duuude...have you not heard of "paragraphs"? At least make your reply easy to read.

I'd call BotW not a "return to form" (because the "form" is that of a more-linear closed-world game focused on story and dungeons, not that of an open-world with typical open-world mechanics that hinder the experience, since the "form" is based on what the series has come to be over the last three decades), but a ruined "return to origin".

BotW has definitely failed to learn from the past three decades, as I stated, since what have open-world adventure games gained over that time? Fast and fluid combat, map markers to help guide the player, and no stamina. Instead of incorporating these improvements, Nintendo decided to just reimagine the first game with barely any noticeable improvements - it's only when the player finds certain monuments that they get permanently added to the map, meaning the player is as lost and stranded as they were in the NES game. However, while this might've been somewhat acceptable for that more-basic and less technologically-advanced era, it certainly is no longer acceptable now, nor was it a couple of years ago when BotW was first released.
As I've repeatedly written, Skyward Sword at the very least had the premise of a true Legend of Zelda game; as mediocre as it was, it was still passable. BotW lacks even this baseline quality.

What do card games have to do with open-world adventure games...? And anyway, forcing the player to "experiment" by having their hard-won and powerful weapons and shields break is horrible game design, leading to awful player experience - they no longer have the agency to decide whether to try out something new, or just stick with a liked weapon.
Assassin's Creed Origins provided that option. If you wanted to experiment with new weapons, you can; if you wanted to stick with one weapon, that's also entirely possible. The lack of this agency, tied with the slow and clumsy combat, makes fighting an absolute chore with little, if not entirely negative, rewards - there's no reason to beat up enemies due to the fragility system, and all the reason to avoid them.
How is that "fun"?
Further, in AC:Or, new weapon rewards were rarely, if ever, truly "worthless" as you state; they handily and clearly kept up with your growing strength. Indeed, it's BotW with the "worthless" rewards, since the developers decided to obfuscate the power advancement and not give the player anything worthwhile to start with, bringing down the entire experience right off the bat.

The freezing cold would prevent players from being able to freely explore mountaintops and gain powerful (though fleeting, due to the moronic fragility system) gear; infinite - or non-existent, rather - stamina would be nothing but a boon for how the game feels to play, not to mention feels to explore.
I find it counterintuitive how you praise the game for being so free to explore, yet you decry against it being more free to explore...
If the developers truly wanted climbing to be limited, why not make it more natural and built into the terrain? Ghost of Tsushima (which admittedly came out years after BotW) only allowed Jin Sakai to climb up specially-marked footholds, meaning they could prevent sequence-breaking without artificially making the game feel worse to play.
Or how about Link being able to clamber over small hills, but needs to obtain actual climbing gear to scale taller mountains - all without a hint of an arbitrary gauge? That would be a good compromise, since it also wouldn't needlessly limit swimming or gliding or spin attacking or anything else.

Finally, if stamina really *must* be included - which, as I've shown, is incorrect - the shrine orbs should increase both stamina and Hearts to reflect a truly-growing Link, to reflect real advancement.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
got my amiiqo or however you spell it, so I'm good. but i also collect...so it'll stay in its plastic cage.

to be honest, i just want those limited edition joycons that sold out while being announced.

also fusion mode whatszitnow? can't remember if i knew that.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
If this kind of practice was made by any other company they would be torn to shreds but not only will Nintendo get away with it, the thing will sell gangbusters. Anyone that buys that Amiibo is part of the problem.
Exactly this, a few people will call it BS and complain (as you can see in this very thread), but most everyone else is going to treat this like it's "heehee silly Nintendo how fun having a feature linked to a cute hunk of $0.50 plastic haha so quirky!!". It's honestly disgusting.

And even worse, Nintendo never produces enough of these things, so not only is the feature going to be locked to a $25 plastic piece of garbage, it's going to be impossible for most people to get and the second it goes for sale it'll sell out and be sold on eBay for 2-3x the MSRP. GG Nin10doh

Actually where even are people getting this $25 price tag. I'm not seeing anything official for the price
It's up on retailers already with the $25 price tag.

Reactions: shaunj66

MaxToTheMax

Officially Ranked 3796th.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ninty is making a 60 dollar game into an 85 dollar game. This feature fixes one of the biggest complaints about Skyward Sword (The long and annoying back and forth) and it’s behind an extreme paywall. They better be glad the figure looks really fucking good, or else there would be no defense.

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP
If you're claiming to like and support a company at the same time as stating you're going to rip them off then I'm sorry, but you don't support that company. I think this move by Nintendo is no different than requiring money for DLC that Sony and Microsoft already partake in. Skyward Sword sure kept me busy on the original Wii so I'm going to enjoy going to the store, paying for a copy and then hopefully beating it on my Switch.

Reactions: banjo2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.