Skyward Sword HD will have a $25 amiibo that unlocks new fast travel features

The upcoming release of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD on the Nintendo Switch will see more than just a fresh coat of HD paint--the game will also add in some new quality of life changes. For example, the newly-revealed Zelda and Loftwing amiibo will let players fast travel to the sky from within dungeons or while on land. In the original release of the game, fast travel mechanics were only available when you were at Bird Statues, which also acted as save points.

This wouldn't mark the first time that Nintendo has locked features behind the paywall of using amiibo; Metroid: Samus Returns on the Nintendo 3DS had a controversial reveal that an amiibo would unlock a special Fusion Mode. Nintendo hasn't made it entirely clear as to whether or not fast travel capabilities will be locked purely behind purchasing the more-expensive-than-usual $24.99 amiibo, but for now, it seems like it's exclusive to those that can scan the figure. Both The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD and the fast-travel unlocking Zelda and Loftwing amiibo will launch on July 16th.

Every legend has an origin – and soon you can follow the earliest tale in The Legend of Zelda™ timeline when the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD game launches on the Nintendo Switch™ system. The HD version of this classic adventure features enhanced performance, smoother motion controls, and newly added button-only controls. The new “Zelda & Loftwing” amiibo* will be released on July 16 to accompany the launch of the game.

Zelda_Loftwing_amiibo.jpg

The Zelda & Loftwing amiibo features two characters on a single base: Zelda as she appears in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, and her trusty Loftwing.

In The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, Zelda is the hero Link’s childhood friend, and is always looking out for him. Loftwings are large birds living on the floating islands of Skyloft and are ridden by the people there to travel across the skies.

Zelda_Loftwing_amiibo_screens1.jpg

Introducing the Zelda & Loftwing amiibo!

In The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, the adventure takes place between the skies where Link and his friends reside, and the vast world of the surface that lies beneath the clouds.

Normally, you can only return from the surface to the sky by way of designated save points, but using the Zelda & Loftwing amiibo while on the surface in the game will allow you to return to the skies from anywhere on the surface, even inside dungeons.

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
seliph is one of the sopranos confirmed
eyyyy gabagool
The second-worst Legend of Zelda game (behind BotW)
BOTW? Worse den Skyward Sword? Worse den Triforce Heroes? Worse den fuckin' Zelda's Adventure? Tell me you're jokin' bub, tell me I don't gotta pull out the ol Chicago Overalls if you see what I'm sayin.

Last edited by Seliph,

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
eyyyy gabagool

BOTW? Worse den Skyward Sword? Worse den Triforce Heroes? Worse den fuckin' Zelda's Adventure? You gotta be pullin' my leg bub
Every Italian must make a choice:
Act like mario
Act like one of the sopranos

PeeJay Bonobo

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
I haven't touched a Zelda game since A Link to the Past for the SNES, but from what I'm reading, Nintendo is locking what appears to be a quality of life feature behind a paywall through amiibo. Now, I can understand unlockables (MK8/MK8D), bonus content (Splatoon), and free items (Super Kirby Clash), but a quality of life feature should be offered to us for free for those who have the game, usually through an update.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Decent idea, poor execution. I wonder if this remake will be worht it. The HD version of Twilight Princess still doesn't compare to the original on Dolphin with some texture packs. TP looks great in 4k.

25 bucks just to move faster?

Compare to the stuff in Super Mario Oddisey that's basically easy mode.

Also no mention of a mute button for the sword so far.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that's kinda stupid, tbh.
While the game could have been improved with some fast travel features, there was no issues the way it was originally made, just a little annoying between certain sky sections.

I would have been up for QOL improvements instead, like how Wind Waker HD was improved with faster travel speeds in the ocean, but there, this is flat out cheating for a price, with a cosmetic plastic collectable that will be cloned day one and pretty much rendered worthless unless you're an avid collector.

I dunno, maybe I am cynical, but it just feels wrong to lock a feature like that under an amiibo, what's the point of playing if you can buy the extra and just skip through all the parts between every maps of the game worlds?

Hopefully there will be some clarifications, because, I have mixed feelings about this one.

They pulled this with Metroid Samus Returns for the 3DS. They had Fusion Mode (which doubled as the hardest difficulty in the game since Samus, in the Fusion suit, is less armored than when she's just using the Power Suit) locked behind an amiibo and the gallery/sound test locked behind a separate one as well.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You can shove that Amiibo right up your ass, Nintendo.
I'll unlock that shit through Emuiibo and cheat codes.

Fuck you ;)

Now that's the spirit!

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Tony, i thought you's was better than this, zelda's adventure, it's a classic
Yeah pal, "classic" like my mutha-in-law's cookin'. Eighty-tree' fuckin' years old and can't even cook a risotto. Disgraceful I tell yah, shoulda never married into a non-Italian family. Ain't nothin compared to Mama's cookin', may she rest in peace. She could whip out a risotto faster'n you can say "spaghetti" and you'd scarf it down even faster if you knew what was good for ya.

Last edited by Seliph,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D