Hacking [Speed comparison] in loading time between different SD Card classes

FunThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
the SanDisk Ultra microSDXC 200GB is not bad, but its the question how much space you need and what you are willing to pay :)

most games have size between some MB and 18GB like COD_Gosts so its up to your decision and if you want to buy a good brand or a noname product

Reactions: JoCheung2

Wiiunator

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Which SD card would you guys recommend purchasing for the use of Loadiine?
I've got a transcend SDXC UHS-1 level 3 64gig and a Qumox 128gig UHS-1 level 1 SDXC, both run pretty good, the transcend being the faster one... however we are in the process of researching more info about SD cards that might perform better at 64K cluster to improve on game loading time. I'm waiting for some more info from @CableLeecher about his scandisk extreme UHS-1 as it seems to perform very well at 64K cluster... also doing some more test on my transcend card... so if you can wait a bit and follow this thread we might have a better suggestion for a SD card dedicated to loadiine soon

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Somone said in the other thread it was around 35sec for him with 64K, weird !
turns out that my card was formatted at 32k... I've used U-tility and for some reason when I changed the cluster to 64K it formatted it at 32... so I'm doing some more testing now at 64K for real this time. I'll posting the result soon... I'll keep you guys posted.

Reactions: JoCheung2

FunThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
it would be good to find the one who had problems with the 64kb clusters and confirm if it was a real problem or not

if we try to search for the best card with 64kb cluster and it makes problems makes no sense

a good idea for homebrew would be a read/write speed test for the SD inside the wiiu :)

Last edited by FunThomas,

Wiiunator

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
problems are also game dependent, e.g.. mario kart 8 does like 64k so much, bayonetta 2 doesn't like 32k so much

Wiiunator

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
but normally you wont buy a sd card for mk8 and the second sdcard for bayonetta :)
ah sure! but if you have a lot of games like I do it could be good to have 2 cards, one at 32K and one at 64K for the problem games like wonderful 101 :) people can choose what they want to do with the info. In the future once we have access to IOSU and USB backup loader we won't have to worry about that hopefully... but in the meantime it would be good to find out what SD card is the best performer for loadiine

Wiiunator

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
ok.. the clusterizer is back with some results. with my transcend USH1 level3 64gb card I've got:

Mario 3D 64K: 47s 32K: 57s 20% improvement @ 64K
The wonderful 101 64K: 17min 32K: 17min no improvement @ 64K

not exactly what I was hoping for the wonderful 101... but at least mario 3d is faster

Reactions: memomo

memomo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It's not worth backup my sd card and format it to 64k and restore all the my games again for 10 sec :P

CableLeecher

640K ought to be enough for anyone
Trophies
EARTH | SOL-SYSTEM | SECTOR 001 | ALPHA QUADRANT
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ok.. the clusterizer is back with some results. with my transcend USH1 level3 64gb card I've got:

Mario 3D 64K: 47s 32K: 57s 20% improvement @ 64K
The wonderful 101 64K: 17min 32K: 17min no improvement @ 64K

not exactly what I was hoping for the wonderful 101... but at least mario 3d is faster

Hi Guys, back from work.

The exact SD-Card Type is SanDisk Extreme Pro 512GB 633x 95MB/sec.
It's the card that I usually use for my Photoshootings with the DSLR Cameras
As I do a lot of RAW 4k Video Stuff and HDR RAW Photography you never can have enough Storage ;)

Basically the 256GB version of the card should perform the same. But for sure I know that the cards below 256GB use some kind of different controller on the SD-Logic board.

Following you can find the card that I use.
Unfortunately it's only in german but should give you a rough idea how the card looks like:

http://www.amazon.de/SanDisk-extrem...=1456251107&sr=8-1&keywords=extreme+pro+512gb

Cheers, CableLeecher :grog:

71pOnvc5gFL._SX522_.jpg

Last edited by CableLeecher,

Wiiunator

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's not worth backup my sd card and format it to 64k and restore all the my games again for 10 sec :P
I don't think it's worth it no...

and the question is how much are the results manipulated by the defragmentation of the filesystem :)
these result were after the card has been low formatted and every games added added in one transfer as I found that it improved performances.. but yeah who knows what the file system fragmentation looks like.. all i know is that it's not recommended to defrag a SD card as it shorten it's lifespan and could very well render it unusable.

Hi Guys, back from work.

The exact SD-Card Type is SanDisk Extreme Pro 512GB 633x 95MB/sec.
It's the card that I usually use for my Photoshootings with the DSLR Cameras
As I do a lot of RAW 4k Video Stuff and HDR RAW Photography you never can have enough Storage ;)

Basically the 256GB version of the card should perform the same. But for sure I know that the cards below 256GB use some kind of different controller on the SD-Logic board.

Following you can find the card that I use.
Unfortunately it's only in german but should give you a rough idea how the card looks like:

http://www.amazon.de/SanDisk-extrem...=1456251107&sr=8-1&keywords=extreme+pro+512gb

Cheers, CableLeecher :grog:

Thanks for that, that's a nice BIG card! it's also worth twice as much as the console... :) I'll be curious to know how long it takes you to load Wonderful 101 on this bad boy... Also what do you use to format your sd on OS X? here I use SD formatter (https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/) for low level formatting, followed by this command line in terminal to change the cluster size to 64K:
newfs_msdos -F 32 -v NameOfVolume -c 128 /dev/disk2s1

Last edited by Wiiunator,

CableLeecher

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks for that, that's a nice BIG card! it's also worth twice as much as the console... :) I'll be curious to know how long it takes you to load Wonderful 101 on this bad boy... Also what do you use to format your sd on OS X? here I use SD formatter (https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/) for low level formatting, followed by this command line in terminal to change the cluster size to 64K:
newfs_msdos -F 32 -v NameOfVolume -c 128 /dev/disk2s1

I don't format the cards on MacOS X as it would write the Apple specific hidden folders on the card. Even tho I work on MacOS X El Capitan with Photoshop etc. I format the SD-Cards on my Business Notebook (Windows 10) with guiformat.exe

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/eula_windows/SDFormatterv4.zip (Windows Version for LLFormat)
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.exe (GUI Version- Limited to 64k Clusters 2TB HDDs)
ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/h2format.zip (CMD Version - Limited to 256k Clusters 8.8TB HDDs)

Last edited by CableLeecher,
Reactions: Wiiunator

Wiiunator

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
FYI, for those of you who are wondering about this SD to USB adapter in the hope of using your HDD with loadiine

http://www.saelig.com/product/MIO001.htm

you should know that SD cards use a 1 or 4 bit serial interface and a different command protocol. For example, to create an SD to SATA converter requires a small embedded processor with an SD card interface on one side, and SATA interface on the other and some software to translate the protocols.

it is very likely that the performances of this device will be quite poor due to the translation of the protocol.

At this stage, if speed is the main concern, it seems that Sandisk extreme Pro cards have the best performance when formatted at 64k cluster compared to similar brand name SD such as transcend etc…

CableLeecher

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
FYI, for those of you who are wondering about this SD to USB adapter in the hope of using your HDD with loadiine

you should know that SD cards use a 1 or 4 bit serial interface and a different command protocol. For example, to create an SD to SATA converter requires a small embedded processor with an SD card interface on one side, and SATA interface on the other and some software to translate the protocols.

it is very likely that the performances of this device will be quite poor due to the translation of the protocol.

At this stage, if speed is the main concern, it seems that Sandisk extreme Pro cards have the best performance when formatted at 64k cluster compared to similar brand name SD such as transcend etc…

In addition this adapter works only with USB keys up to 32GB as the adapter only works within the SDHC specification.
Therefore I don't see the point to use it if it even slows everything down due to the protocol/conversion overhead.
You can get a SanDisk Ultra Card with 64GB which will fore sure be faster than the USB adapter for 20-25 bucks

Wiiunator

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

@Masterwin i saw you've asked about this on another thread... I thought this might help you :)

Reactions: Masterwin

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work