• Replies 779
  • Likes 32

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nobody should be using that... search for EOS 1.2.1, update atmosphere to 1.7.0, use it's toolkit to configure settings from within the switch it self without needing the configurator...

Mariko can go so much crazy higher than that plugged, also you can push some good handheld values if you properly undervolt CPU and GPU I think the recommended is to stay below 8W of power in battery mode, you can use like Status monitor to check battery power...

If you need help achieving the best ask for help here: https://discord.gg/VndKxFg7EE

Go to overclocking section and people will likely help you.

vexhash

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Nobody should be using that... search for EOS 1.2.1, update atmosphere to 1.7.0, use it's toolkit to configure settings from within the switch it self without needing the configurator...

Mariko can go so much crazy higher than that plugged, also you can push some good handheld values if you properly undervolt CPU and GPU I think the recommended is to stay below 8W of power in battery mode, you can use like Status monitor to check battery power...

If you need help achieving the best ask for help here: https://discord.gg/VndKxFg7EE

No source code available... How is this better than 4ifir?

Reactions: ghjfdtg

Azuuuma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China

Hello, I'm a newbie in overclocking. I've been using the default Switch-OC-Suite overclocking firmware, but since it's no longer maintained, I want to switch to the EOS overclocking firmware. Can I use EOS without modifying the provided KIPS and still achieve frequencies of 1785-998-1996 (which I've been using)? PS: Please forgive me for using translation software.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No source code available... How is this better than 4ifir?
Because EOS is official from OC suite despite the project being given to other dev by meha\hanai3bi, it's updated to latest atmosphere + FW which 4IFIR still don't cause they can't steal the source code anymore and will likely take a while.

Also I tested 4IFIR recently and at stock voltage the CPU can't even do 2091mhz real while EOS now has Erista UV and mine do full real 2091 at 1106mv...

Then with 4ifir I just changed ram to 2131mhz and it uses 1.35v automatically which is too high and without changing anything my game Kingdome Come Deliverance textures weren't loading, buildings disappearing, could see some interiors of some buildings, a huge mess...
Hello, I'm a newbie in overclocking. I've been using the default Switch-OC-Suite overclocking firmware, but since it's no longer maintained, I want to switch to the EOS overclocking firmware. Can I use EOS without modifying the provided KIPS and still achieve frequencies of 1785-998-1996 (which I've been using)? PS: Please forgive me for using translation software.
You have to use the new loader.kip, each different version require the use of its own loader.kip.

But you can just copy your current settings to the new one.

You can use it's toolkit and set up everything from within switch overlay, no more need to use the html page configurator on PC...

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
I have to agree. No source = no use. This is not that much different to the 4IFIR situation. We can't check what these executables are doing to our Switches which is important since there is a high chance that certain settings will damage hardware and with the source available such mistakes can be spotted easier.

I will have to stick to stock sys-clk or keep using older firmware even if that means i lose functionality.

Azuuuma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Because EOS is official from OC suite despite the project being given to other dev by meha\hanai3bi, it's updated to latest atmosphere + FW which 4IFIR still don't cause they can't steal the source code anymore and will likely take a while.

Also I tested 4IFIR recently and at stock voltage the CPU can't even do 2091mhz real while EOS now has Erista UV and mine do full real 2091 at 1106mv...

Then with 4ifir I just changed ram to 2131mhz and it uses 1.35v automatically which is too high and without changing anything my game Kingdome Come Deliverance textures weren't loading, buildings disappearing, could see some interiors of some buildings, a huge mess...

You have to use the new loader.kip, each different version require the use of its own loader.kip.

But you can just copy your current settings to the new one.

You can use it's toolkit and set up everything from within switch overlay, no more need to use the html page configurator on PC...
I understand now. If I use the kip file provided by EOS, does that mean I can use it without modifying the configuration?

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have to agree. No source = no use. This is not that much different to the 4IFIR situation. We can't check what these executables are doing to our Switches which is important since there is a high chance that certain settings will damage hardware and with the source available such mistakes can be spotted easier.

I will have to stick to stock sys-clk or keep using older firmware even if that means i lose functionality.
There's also the matter of using Discord for documentation and reference. A Discord server is not a knowledge base, a forum, nor a wiki, and using it like one is a bad move in the long run.

Reactions: ghjfdtg

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's upto anyone to ue or not. EOS = official OC suite made by the same dev and everything made in it is to be safe, continues to not allow like 1.35v for memories and so on just like the outdated OC suite but has many improvements specially for Erista that never had CPU UV and now has...
Post automatically merged:

I understand now. If I use the kip file provided by EOS, does that mean I can use it without modifying the configuration?
Yes you can but you will not have the full benefits of having much lower temps and power consumption or the best ram settings, will just allow sys_clk to be able to chose higher frequencies but you will easily go over the board limit on high frequencies without UV and for the ram you can get so much better performance by really setting it up properly with auto_adj_all and good timings...

Last edited by guily6669,
Reactions: Azuuuma and anon730

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if the pope told me this is safe i could not check that because no source. And i agree, gating this behind a Discord Server makes this less trustworthy.
I know and understand but it's exactly because of 4IFIR cause he kept stealing everything from everyone. That's likely the same reason Kazushime disappeared and completely deleted OC suite from github.

And likely same reason Hanai3Bi stop updating OC suite and gave up recently and gave the project to someone else...

ppkantorski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

just curious, do any of you use DBI? if so, it violates GPLv2. in fact, distribution of any recompilation of most switch projects without documented source code for the recompilation would violate GPLv2 the majority of the time. for EOS to be distributed in a closed source manor that does not violate GPLv2, permission needs to be given by Meha, KazushiMe, and SciresM / Reswitched Team (original copyright holders). partial permission has already been granted, but if EOS gets full permission granted, then its source code does not have to be disclosed. however your concerns are indeed valid. but at the end of the day it comes down to the reasoning for the closed source distribution, and the will of the creators of that code. the person managing EOS currently is a well known and trusted member of the OC community, but sure, you do raise fair points. as for not being able to tell what the software does, you actually can with the right tools. you can read every configuration in the kip file, and how that file interacts with your device in runtime.

Last edited by ppkantorski,

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
just curious, do any of you use DBI? if so, it violates GPLv2. in fact, distribution of any recompilation of most switch projects without documented source code for the recompilation would violate GPLv2 the majority of the time. for EOS to be distributed in a closed source manor that does not violate GPLv2, permission needs to be given by Meha, KazushiMe, and SciresM / Reswitched Team (original copyright holders). partial permission has already been granted, but if EOS gets full permission granted, then its source code does not have to be disclosed. however your concerns are indeed valid. but at the end of the day it comes down to the reasoning for the closed source distribution, and the will of the creators of that code. the person managing EOS currently is a well known and trusted member of the OC community, but sure, you do raise fair points. as for not being able to tell what the software does, you actually can with the right tools. you can read every configuration in the kip file, and how that file interacts with your device in runtime.
I didn't mention the license but yeah, it's another point. I knew about DBI being closed source but i was not aware it violates GPL.
It's really annoying when devs decide to go closed source just because of a few bad actors. 4IFIR isn't even around anymore so i have no idea why we need to be this protective anymore.

And i'm aware that executables can be reverse engineered but the point is that the knowledge should not be gated behind multiple hurdles so anyone can check and see what the code does. Reverse engineering is very complex and not something the average user can do. I have reverse engineering experience myself and i would not want to reverse engineer and diff each release. That is not worth anyone's time.

anon730

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's upto anyone to ue or not. EOS = official OC suite made by the same dev and everything made in it is to be safe, continues to not allow like 1.35v for memories and so on just like the outdated OC suite but has many improvements specially for Erista that never had CPU UV and now has...
Post automatically merged:

Yes you can but you will not have the full benefits of having much lower temps and power consumption or the best ram settings, will just allow sys_clk to be able to chose higher frequencies but you will easily go over the board limit on high frequencies without UV and for the ram you can get so much better performance by really setting it up properly with auto_adj_all and good timings...
Right, the sys-clk Tesla overlay menu item will still be there with its standard settings. Now you have another tool the OC Toolkit thats another menu option in the Tesla menu (which is being replaced with a modified version called "Ultra hand.") allowing you to fine tune the loader.kip file within the switch and save a few steps.
Where before we used the website configurator and punched in settings then uploaded the modified loader.kip to our switch.

Reactions: guily6669

ppkantorski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't mention the license but yeah, it's another point. I knew about DBI being closed source but i was not aware it violates GPL.
It's really annoying when devs decide to go closed source just because of a few bad actors. 4IFIR isn't even around anymore so i have no idea why we need to be this protective anymore.

And i'm aware that executables can be reverse engineered but the point is that the knowledge should not be gated behind multiple hurdles so anyone can check and see what the code does. Reverse engineering is very complex and not something the average user can do. I have reverse engineering experience myself and i would not want to reverse engineer and diff each release. That is not worth anyone's time.
now that I look into it more, DBI may be allowed to be distributed in a closed source manor since they report the derived material is from an ISC license (not GPLv2). but without verifying the code and knowing where code did or did not come from, its kind of hard for anyone to make that assessment. there are other risks associated with using any closed source homebrew .nro / .ovl (or even .exe) though (like valid privacy concerns, data loggers/scrappers, network vulnerability detectors, remote code execution, traffic herding for DDOS attacks, etc).

there are also tools the community provides to help users understand what the kip mod is doing in runtime and how to configure it's options. but either way, no one is required to use EOS if they don't want to. but just know that many people do verify what the kip does while they run it through extensive testing. it is a critical part of development (even without the code documenting how the compilation was created). knowing what is happening vs how it is happening is the difference here. how computations are made are not going to be immediately obvious without documentation (which makes it harder to reverse engineer). but the results of accurate (or inaccurate) computations can be measured and recorded.

I will say this though, from what I have seen other users discover and share, and what has been reported by Meha and the current maintainer, EOS is a lot safer than OC Suite in terms of what it is actually doing with your Switch during OC (despite not being open sourced).

Last edited by ppkantorski,
Reactions: anon730

grcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Can I ask

(1) How can I 'uninstall' other versions of sys-clk safely, including outdated Tesla modules? I ask because it is not always clear how to reverse the process. I managed to screw up, with two entries for sys-clk.

(2) How exactly do we use the Speedo information? Do we input the number we get from HW Info on the configuration page somewhere?

(3) Is there a known database of kips for V1 Erista Unpatched; Switch Lite Mariko; and OLED Mariko that are compatible with 17.0.1 / 1.6.2 Atmo?

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also about open source, well Tinfoil is closed source even though I don't think it violates any license but it's by far my favourite and a HUGE amount of ppl use it and don't care for the source, I totally love it, specially with free shops B-)
Right, the sys-clk Tesla overlay menu item will still be there with its standard settings. Now you have another tool the OC Toolkit thats another menu option in the Tesla menu (which is being replaced with a modified version called "Ultra hand.") allowing you to fine tune the loader.kip file within the switch and save a few steps.
Where before we used the website configurator and punched in settings then uploaded the modified loader.kip to our switch.
Yep and ultrahand is open source by @ppkantorski the user above and he keeps updating and improving it like crazy :bow:

You can also use it's functions to do a lot of stuff...
Can I ask

(1) How can I 'uninstall' other versions of sys-clk safely, including outdated Tesla modules? I ask because it is not always clear how to reverse the process. I managed to screw up, with two entries for sys-clk.

(2) How exactly do we use the Speedo information? Do we input the number we get from HW Info on the configuration page somewhere?

(3) Is there a known database of kips for V1 Erista Unpatched; Switch Lite Mariko; and OLED Mariko that are compatible with 17.0.1 / 1.6.2 Atmo?
1- I just delete everything with same folder and put the new one like a clean install...

2- I have a erista so it's not valid for me, but for lite and Mariko yes, I think you put the Speedo values from Hekate.

3- there is a database with user settings for erista and Mariko, your gonna have to ask in discord.

But if you mean the loader.kip EOS 1.2 and above are all for atmosphere 1.7.0, you should update atmos to 1.7.0 and can stay fine on FW 17.0.1 and use EOS 1.2.1...

Last edited by guily6669,
Reactions: ppkantorski

Azuuuma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Also about open source, well Tinfoil is closed source even though I don't think it violates any license but it's by far my favourite and a HUGE amount of ppl use it and don't care for the source, I totally love it, specially with free shops B-)

Yep and ultrahand is open source by @ppkantorski the user above and he keeps updating and improving it like crazy :bow:

You can also use it's functions to do a lot of stuff...

1- I just delete everything with same folder and put the new one like a clean install...

2- I have a erista so it's not valid for me, but for lite and Mariko yes, I think you put the Speedo values from Hekate.

3- there is a database with user settings for erista and Mariko, your gonna have to ask in discord.

But if you mean the loader.kip EOS 1.2 and above are all for atmosphere 1.7.0, you should update atmos to 1.7.0 and can stay fine on FW 17.0.1 and use EOS 1.2.1...
Hello, I found on Discord that there are two overclocking firmware versions, EOS1.2.1 and sys-clk-oc final2. What are the differences between them? Can I assume sys-clk-oc final2 is an updated version by the author meha? (Is it just that the author meha stopped updating on Github?)

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I found on Discord that there are two overclocking firmware versions, EOS1.2.1 and sys-clk-oc final2. What are the differences between them? Can I assume sys-clk-oc final2 is an updated version by the author meha? (Is it just that the author meha stopped updating on Github?)
Yep he just released a new sys-clk-oc final3 hours ago so should use it instead, the final2 was bugged and he fixed it right away to final3...

Anyway the features are:

Code:
    1- reversenx sync now respects clock cappings
    2- fixed issue of sys-clk not working on boot for some people
    3- minor bug fixes and optimization
    4- fixed auto cpu boost

ps: And yes Meha is the official dev of OC suite, but he usually doesn't release anything more as the project he gave to other dev, I'm even suprised he released a new fixed sys_clk_oc again B-)

Reactions: Azuuuma

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
Would someone be able to help an old-timer out?

So I fell off the switch homebrew scene after the initial buzz in 2018, and now, after many years, felt like getting back into modding the system after upgrading to an OLED; I followed the guide on Reentry to set up, and everything works like the tesla menu, basic overclocking with retronx team's OC mod, but I've seen people be able to push their V1 switch memory to 1800Mhz.

There are no useful guides I've found on how someone can go about doing this; the guides I've found have sent my V1 Switch into crash city as soon as loading atmosphere, where I've had to revert to an SD card backup even to get the home menu running stably, can someone point me in the right direction of how I can get the memory to go over official clocks?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zTei5RMhQ8