The Game Awards speculation thread: can you guess the winners?

Game-Awards-2020-Twitter-Voting-Exclusive.png

The Game Awards are almost here, and you know what that means! Watching dozens of commercials and meandering interviews with developers until we get to the good stuff at the end: game reveals for the following year. There have been teases here and there, with Microsoft seemingly having something big to reveal at the show, and Persona 5: Strikers presumably would have been another announcement dropped during the ceremony, had it not leaked beforehand. We'll even get to see the former Nintendo of America President, as Reggie Fils-Aime will be one of the many presenters for The Game Awards.

But before the festivities kick off, why don't we play a guessing game? There are a whopping 30 categories full of nominees, ranging from best eSports host, to the glorious game of the year. We've narrowed down the topic list to 10 categories, as follows.

• Game of the Year (DOOM Eternal, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Ghost of Tsushima, Hades, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, The Last of Us Part II)
  • Best Narrative (13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Ghost of Tsushima, Hades, The Last of Us Part II)
  • Best Score and Music (DOOM Eternal, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Hades, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, The Last of Us Part II)
  • Best Performance (Ashley Johnson/Ellie/TLOU2, Laura Bailey/Abby/TLOU2, Daisuke Tsuji/Jin Sakai/Ghost of Tsushima, Logan Cunningham/Hades, Nadi Jeter/Miles Morales)
  • Best Indie (Carrion, Fall Guys, Hades, Spelunky 2, Spiritfarer)
  • Best Role Playing (Final Fantasy VII Remake, Genshin Impact, Persona 5 Royale, Wasteland 3, Yakuza: Like a Dragon)
  • Games for Impact (If Found, Kentucky Route Zero, Spiritfarer, Tell Me Why, Through the Darkest of Times)
  • Best Action (DOOM Eternal, Hades, Half-Life Alyx, Nioh 2, Streets of Rage 4)
  • Best Action/Adventure (Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order, The Last of Us Part II)
  • Best Multiplayer (Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Among Us, Call of Duty: Warzone, Fall Guys, Valdrant)
You can see all of the nominees at the official Game Awards website. The goal of this contest is to see who can guess as many winners as possible, before the official results come in! The first commenter in the thread that manages the feat of perfectly guessing the ten winners in each category above (or if no one gets a clean sweep, the first to get as close as humanly possible) above will get a nice reward: 202 XP! Obviously, the contest will end once TGA kick off, on December 10th.

:arrow: The Game Awards Nominees

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
  • Game of the Year Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • Best Narrative Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Best Score and Music Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Best Performance No Idea...
  • Best Indie Spelunky 2
  • Best Role Playing Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Games for Impact No Idea..
  • Best Action Half-Life Alyx
  • Best Action/Adventure Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
  • Best Multiplayer Animal Crossing: New Horizons
What´s with Cyberpunk 2077 ? :O

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think if acnh was released as an actual complete game it would have a chance for goty, "free content updates" which were just holiday updates or old features from new leaf that should have been in the game to begin with.

1B51004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My personal nomination for GOTY would be Netflix for the Wii. Hands down my favorite game.
In all seriousness, I heard Hades is really good. If it gets GOTY, it might be enough for me to buy it.

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GOTY - Animal Crossing amazing how many copies sold

Best Narrative - The Last of Us 2
Best Score/Music Final Fantasy Remake
Best Performance - Ellie.
Best Indie - Hades
Best Action - Doom
Best Action/Adventure- Tsushima
Best RPG - Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Best Multiplayer- Call of Duty: Warzone

smash bro Crash

Payne

Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
Late to this but whatever

GOTY: TLOU2
Narrative: TLOU2
Music: FFVII RE
Performance: Abby
Indie: Hades
RPG: P5R
Action: DOOM Eternal
Adventure: GOT
Multiplayer: Among Us

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably not

https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintend...-character-at-the-game-awards-tonight.578675/

Heh

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You know what after playing the 1st 3 hours of Cyberpunk 2077 just now i think this might win GOTY ..its pretty amazing and looks very very Sharpe in 4k on my PC ...
Too late for that game to be considered this year. It's got a whole year before it can win any such awards now.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintend...-character-at-the-game-awards-tonight.578675/

Heh

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Too late for that game to be considered this year. It's got a whole year before it can win any such awards now.
AH fair enough .. still so far its looks awesome ..... i still think Ghost of T or The Last Of Us 2 .... its a shame Morroblivion aint up there some where tbut this years version was really nice .... i guess mod games don't count ...

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: banjo2

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
  • Game of the Year Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • Best Narrative - Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Best Score and Music - Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Best Performance - Nadi Jeter/Miles Morales)
  • Best Indie - Hades
  • Best Role Playing - Genshin Impact
  • Games for Impact - Spiritfarer
  • Best Action - DOOM Eternal
  • Best Action/Adventure - The Last of Us Part II
  • Best Multiplayer - Among Us

Guesses made purely based on hype, popularity and other bullshit that doesn't matter to anybody but does for award shows and getting views.
The GOTY nominees alone are mediocre. Only one or two deserve to even be listed.

ChronoTrig

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I called it with Impact being Tell Me Why cause it's a pretty good story but it's also on spot with the whole transgender woke statement which you're either for it or if you're not for it then you're a terrible person (is how it's looked at).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu