UK police warns those who post "hate crime" and threatens users with "criminal offences"

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 17,846
  • Replies 361
  • Likes 15

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bad, because in today's day and age, simply having a different opinion is hate speech. Fuck that noise.

No. Having a different opinion is fine. You are even allowed to hate people for their colour, religion etc. However you're not allowed to do anything about it. The same as it's perfectly legal to harbour murderous thoughts, as long as you don't commit murder.

I'd also like to point out that they do not state what constitutes hate speech. Double whammy.

They don't have to. It's up to you to know what the law is.

I blame those Tory twits for being over-censoring pantywaists.

I thought the law was bought in under Labour. Tories wouldn't ban hate speech, they love it too much.

Last edited by smf,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you end up in jail for having an offensive knife, because that's the law in most Europe. Same for any kind of weapon.

By that same token, anything can be made a weapon, even a fork, so they should ban forks, same with cars, and while we're at it, maybe they should ban fry pans. Criminalizing knives won't stop knives from being used illegally.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is sad to see people here that are actually ok with laws that limit hate speech

Hate speech is asinine, but so are threats of violence against another person. Why the government should feel it control what other says however, is bullshit. Theresa May has the Tories' support up her ass.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
By that same token, anything can be made a weapon, even a fork, so they should ban forks, same with cars, and while we're at it, maybe they should ban fry pans. Criminalizing knives won't stop knives from being used illegally.

They aren't banned. As long as you have a good and resonable reason, you are fine.

https://www.police.uk/crime-prevention-advice/possession-of-weapons/

"It is illegal to:

carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, e.g. a Swiss Army knife"

If you have a good reason, are stopped and declare it, you are fine.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: CallmeBerto

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a government issue, it's in the French Consitution for example lol. for me it's sad to see people defending racism, discrimination and hate speech, as well as cyber-harassment.

On the other hand, I can't stand it when people attack others for having different political opinions. It's a crime to have a different opinion on the internet, nowhere is safe.

Trophies
XP
Country
France
On the other hand, I can't stand it when people attack others for having different political opinions. It's a crime to have a different opinion on the internet, nowhere is safe.
It's because Europe and USA have radically different definitions of "opinions". Right-wing people in Europe are almost centrists in the US. So when US people learn about the european definition of free speech, they say it's censorship, while it's really not, it's just a matter pf preventing people from saying "gays are mentally ill", or "Muslims are all terrorists" etc, which would be unacceptable even for european alt-right. Here free speech doesn't cover hate speech, and I think that's good.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I think that posting that tweet was a mistake, I've known a***holes who I bet would see that as a challenge more so than a threat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BigOnYa How have you been