UK police warns those who post "hate crime" and threatens users with "criminal offences"

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 17,853
  • Replies 361
  • Likes 15

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's because Europe and USA have radically different definitions of "opinions". Right-wing people in Europe are almost centrists in the US. So when US people learn about the european definition of free speech, they say it's censorship, while it's really not, it's just a matter pf preventing people from saying "gays are mentally ill", or "Muslims are all terrorists" etc, which would be unacceptable even for european alt-right. Here free speech doesn't cover hate speech, and I think that's good.
Actually, the super far right is moving towards the "Muslims are all potential terrorists" thing

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
It's because Europe and USA have radically different definitions of "opinions". Right-wing people in Europe are almost centrists in the US. So when US people learn about the european definition of free speech, they say it's censorship, while it's really not, it's just a matter pf preventing people from saying "gays are mentally ill", or "Muslims are all terrorists" etc, which would be unacceptable even for european alt-right. Here free speech doesn't cover hate speech, and I think that's good.

I don't think anyone is defending people who say these cappy things. However I will defend their right to say it. Don't like it? Call them out and debate them under the table on the market place of ideas. This is what I defend not what they say.

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
They were, but not anymore. Your president, for example, is not centrist by any definition, he's a staunch neo-liberal tool who'll extend state of emergency powers for the foreseeable future

No...to all that nonsense. I mean for the love of Rai there are less regulations in place now then there were 6 months ago.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I say "kill all muslims" I should be prosecuted, but if I say "Islam is dangerous" I shouldn't. Yet this could still be seen as hate speech.

In the UK you cannot be found guilty of hate speech for criticising a religion. If the police and cps take a dislike to you then you might find yourself in court, but it doesn't mean you'll be found guilty. That is down to what a "reasonable person" would think.

There was an interesting blasphemy case 10 years ago, which came to a similar conclusion.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2007/dec/05/independentproductioncompanies.bbc

Our law system is based on a continual feeding back of decisions to interpret what is right and wrong. Politicians pass acts that try to influence the process, but they are often found themselves to be unlawful.

Black and white thinkers have a real problem as they think it's all so simple, but law is not simple at all.

Last edited by smf,
Trophies
XP
Country
France
They were, but not anymore. Your president, for example, is not centrist by any definition, he's a staunch neo-liberal tool who'll extend state of emergency powers for the foreseeable future
Errrr, nope, the state of emergency will be disabled by November, and Macron is a centrist despite what you want.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...